FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

problem with my computer

infonewz
every time i download file from internet (program file .exe and zip file), i can't install the file and i can't open the file. what's happen with my computer.
operating system : windows xp home edition service pack 1
help me please
kv
infonewz wrote:
every time i download file from internet (program file .exe and zip file), i can't install the file and i can't open the file. what's happen with my computer.
operating system : windows xp home edition service pack 1
help me please

Can you be more specific? Do you get an error when you try to open the file? If yes, what error? Or doesn't the file get downloaded at all?
infonewz
it does not appear to be a valid archive for zip file
and file corrupt for exe file
kv
It means that your download is not going through properly. Might be your connection is too slow and the download is terminated in the middle. Or there might be a problem with your browser. Try installing some other browser (firefox for example).
infonewz
okay thanks
what happen if i use download software such as download accelerator, reget, stream down. can i fix this problem
kv
You should be able to. But the download managers have lot of other problems. Many of them download softwares in pieces and join them later. There are good chances of file getting corrupt. If you are aleardy having problem, don't try it.
SoftStag
Just out of interest, are you using a wireless connection? I came across a similar issue with a wireless setup that I struggled with for some time. Also images in webpages would often appear corrupt. I'm not 100% how I fixed it, but if you are struggling with the same thing I can give you some pointers.
ChesterB
have You antivirus?
scan computer with avast! http://avast.com and use Firefox webbrowser
n0xvb
infonewz wrote:

How are you downloading? Is it possible the files are not being downloaded in binary mode?
MonkeyWrench
dont worry i had this problem before, i really dont know how i fixed it. Just uninstall a few worthless programs which you dont need (i uninstalled crap free games) restarted it a few times and it worked.

but i recommend that u get service pack 2 anyway Wink
infonewz
n0xvb wrote:
infonewz wrote:

How are you downloading? Is it possible the files are not being downloaded in binary mode?

right click at url and save target as...
Beforehand I use windows 98 and no problem (work properly)
until now i can't do that
ganea
try with download accelator..i think your ie have problem...
n0xvb
infonewz wrote:

right click at url and save target as...
Beforehand I use windows 98 and no problem (work properly)
until now i can't do that

Has it worked after you installed XP? Ganea is right, IE could be a problem (in my opinion always is a problem Confused ) You could also try something like Firefox instead of IE.
infonewz
i can download completely now
use reget deluxe
thanks
shobair
format it!!
scarecrow
still always worth installing service pack 2. obviously make sure u have sufficient backups just incase.
Summer
Looks like your downloads were being cancelled automatically m like me when I was using dial-up connection .
billgertz
probally the MIME settings in your computer is damaged.. you might need to have it reorganized.. or there is a possibility that a worm is automatically loaded on you pc after booting up.. you can try to do a system restore from the day that you were able to install a program.. or you might need to install a registry cleaner in your computer.. try any of those.. it might help.. cheers! Wink
prongs_386
you couldve had a piece of software eg. virus scan, which is set to automatically block things without informing you. When file is complete it could be denying access.
SoftStag
infonewz wrote:
i can download completely now
use reget deluxe
thanks

I think this post means he has resolved his problem. Not sure why everyone is still trying to fix it!
budazz
mybe its corrupted..or its not valid exe files
Reyntjensw
maybe something stuppid but is your winzip working?
it can be a part of your problem so check it out

grtz
wactac
I worked in Tech Support for many years. Convergys to be exact and 3 years. A reboot fixes 99% of all the computer problems out there. If it doesn't reinstall windows will work for sure.

Trust me, the account I worked on was Microsoft!!
SoftStag
wactac wrote:
I worked in Tech Support for many years. Convergys to be exact and 3 years. A reboot fixes 99% of all the computer problems out there. If it doesn't reinstall windows will work for sure.

Trust me, the account I worked on was Microsoft!!

I don't see the logic behind this. Surely reinstalling Windows is the last resort?