FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why tomato plants leaves turn yellow?

lovescience
Some of my tomato plants have yellow leaves. These yellow leaves are the first leaf and second leaf of the tomato plants.

There are several reasons for the tomato plants leaves to turn yellow. I am trying to find out which one is the reason for the tomato plants leaves to turn yellow.

The first reason could be the tomato plants have not getting enough water.

The second reason could be the tomato plants have too much of water.

The third reason could be the tomato plants do not have enough nitrogen from soil.

These are the three reasons I am thinking of and trying to find out one which makes the tomato plants leaves turn yellow.
ocalhoun
lovescience wrote:
Some of my tomato plants have yellow leaves. These yellow leaves are the first leaf and second leaf of the tomato plants.

By that do you mean they only have one or two leaves, which are both now turning yellow, or are you talking about mature plants that have lots of leaves, and are just losing a couple leaves each?
lovescience
They have more than two leaves. The bottom leaves on these plants turned yellow.

Some plants have one leaf at the bottom of the plant turned yellow. The others have two leaves at the bottom of the plant turned yellow.
ocalhoun
Well, I'm no expert on tomato plants in particular, but in some plants, each leaf has a limited expected life span, and when that's up, the old leaves die off to make room for new ones.

It could be the case that this is what's happening here.

At any rate, if they all have a bunch of healthy leaves, I wouldn't worry about losing just one or two per plant, as long as the dying leaves don't show evidence of fungus or bugs or anything.
lovescience
Thanks.

I think most likely the plants were getting too much water.

So their lower leaves turned yellow.

It was raining for several days.

They looked a bit wilted.
setfirework
Sorry about your tomatoes! Yellowing leaves and dying stems are symptoms of several problems. But keep in mind that they rarely appear alone. Usually, your tomatoes give you another clue to diagnose the problem. Study your plants carefully. Use this checklist to help figure out which situation fits you.

Over-watering or under-watering. If your season has been especially wet and cool, your tomatoes may be "drowning." Water can clog air pockets in the soil and prevent plants from getting needed air. On the other hand, if you're in a heat wave with excessive temperatures, your plants could be over-stressed and under-watered, which could cause them to drop leaves. Make sure plants are getting 1-3 inches of water a week - on the high end of that if it's hot and on the low end if it's cool.
Early blight or Septoria leaf spot. Yellowing leaves are a symptom for both diseases. To tell the difference, check to see if there are spots on the leaves. Early blight exhibits dark concentric circles on leaves and stems. Septoria leaf spot presents small dark spots on the lower leaves. Read more about different kinds of tomato blight and how to tell them apart.
Tomato wilts. Fusarium wilt and verticillium wilt also exhibit yellowed leaves. Fusarium often just affects one side of the plant. Verticillium encircles the plant, but the yellowed pattern on leaves is V-shaped.
Curly top virus. Infected plants turn yellow and stop growing.
Pests. Aphids, whiteflies, flea beetles, tomato hornworm and tobacco hornworm, and psyllids attack tomato plants and leave holes, dew, or chewing injuries to plants -- in addition to yellowed leaves. Check undersides of leaves and along stems for pests!

Most tomato problems are treatable once you identify the source. Track rain and watering patterns (to see if it's a watering issue). Study the yellowing pattern in the leaves (to see if it's caused by a disease). Look for other additional damage (to see if it's caused by a pest).

Good luck!
faginea
Yellow leaves, as much as any other unexpected characteristic you spot on any of you plants can have several explanations. This is the first thing you should put into your mind. Don't just go on the internet or some book and google "tomato yellow leaves". You can catch the correct explanation, and you can catch something completely on the side.

My best advice would be for you to make an experiment. This is how you get the correct answer. Yellow leaves would most certainly be related with water, exposure nutrient issues. Tomato love sun, so unless you are giving them shade i don't think exposure is the answer.

Collect some plants and try different combinations of "caring". One set with the same ammount of water you used to give them, one set with more and one set with less. Try watering one daily, the other twice a day and the other each 2 days or something like that (depends on your climate). For each set of those try giving different ammounts of nutrients.

This will probably give you the best answer for your question, and plus, the best combination of conditions for better growing your plants. Always remember this: one answer is not good by itself, it is good in a context. For example, if someone says you should water a plant every day don't take that for granted as a solution. You may live in a rainy climate and the other person on a dry one. Your plant may be growing on a slow dryable soil/moisture and the other person on a fast dryable one. All the variables make a difference.

So... if you want an answer, find it yourself Smile This may not sound very nice, but believe it's the best advice you'll find Smile