FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

computer freezes during boot-up

porakdat
my computer freezes up during start-up. to solve the problem, i reformatted my pc, but it still freezes. i removed the dedicated VGA to see if it's the one causing the problem, but to no avail. PC still freezes and sometimes, when it loads, it freezes and screen turns green,black, and sometimes blue. IS this a hardware problem? how can i fix this?

MOBO:ASUS M4A78LT-M LE
RAM: 2GB
HDD: 300Gb
Processor: Athlon phenom II 965

actions taken but didn't solve the problem:

1. installed and run CCcleaner and Registry Easy
2. removed dedicated VGA (geforce 9500)
3. reinstalled OS
4. updated graphics drivers.

can anyone help??
pazis
Can you please explain at which phase it freezes? What is does before freezing? Does it always freeze or sometimes!?
Marcuzzo
if you've reinstalled your OS AND didn't install any other software AND it still freezes, you are mostlikely looking at a hardware issue.

check your windows logs for errors: Start/Run and type "eventvwr" without the quotes.
you should be able to find some errors there.

More info on windows logs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427
ocalhoun
porakdat wrote:
IS this a hardware problem?

Yes.
Quote:

how can i fix this?

1: Find out which hardware component(s) are bad.
It might be (motherboard, CPU, RAM, or Power supply)
There are a few ways you might do that:
*Test the hardware directly (which is mainly only applicable to the power supply: connect it to a multimeter, and test the output voltages. They will probably be close, but watch for any intermittent variations -- fluctuations in the power supply can cause computers to freeze like that.)
*Check for excessive heat buildup, especially around the CPU. Sometimes old computers get dust buildup, which prevents efficient cooling, which causes overheating, which then causes the computer to freeze and/or causes hardware to break.
*Swap hardware to a known good computer: If you have another computer available that could use the same hardware, install the (possibly) bad hardware in the good computer, and see if it makes the good computer freeze. If so, the hardware component you swapped is the problem.
*Software-based diagnostics. Use some diagnostic software (I prefer MicroScope) to test your hardware piece by piece, and see if it comes up with any errors that will tell you which part is broken.
*Swap in known good components. If you have a source of compatible spare parts (laying around, or in another computer, or at last resort, buying them), swap those into the bad system one by one, and if the problem goes away after replacing a specific part, then that part was the problem.
2: Replace the bad part(s)

Unfortunately, your kind of problem is often the most expensive kind to fix, because often the only solution available is to start buying replacements for the possibly bad parts one by one, from least expensive to most expensive.
Sometimes it's easier to just replace all the possibly bad parts at once, especially if you want to upgrade it anyway... But if you don't want to spend a lot of money on it, you should definitely do your best to diagnose what exactly the problem is before buying any replacement parts.
sysna
what do you mean by start-up ? during windows start or during the initial boot screen ? if it is during windows start then it is probably a software fault not a hardware one, the best way i can recommend you to find out that your windows is damaged or not is to use a live cd from linux distributions, if you can boot up using a live cd and use linux then there is a problem with your windows but if you faced that problem again even with a linux live cd then there is probably a problem with your hardware.

for hardware fault detection i recommend you to first of all check your PSU and change it with another one to see if the problem solves or not. then go for hard disk , VGA and other things to make sure which one is making problem.
ocalhoun
sysna wrote:
what do you mean by start-up ? during windows start or during the initial boot screen ? if it is during windows start then it is probably a software fault not a hardware one, the best way i can recommend you to find out that your windows is damaged or not is to use a live cd from linux distributions, if you can boot up using a live cd and use linux then there is a problem with your windows but if you faced that problem again even with a linux live cd then there is probably a problem with your hardware.

He already said that he reinstalled the OS completely, and that didn't solve the problem.

If you replace the software, and the problem persists, that means the problem wasn't the software.

(Just as if you replace a piece of hardware, if that doesn't fix the problem, it means that piece of hardware wasn't the problem.)
tamilparks
Please check your RAM, clean the RAM and use it mostly your problem will solve.
fileb0x
porakdat wrote:
my computer freezes up during start-up. to solve the problem, i reformatted my pc, but it still freezes. i removed the dedicated VGA to see if it's the one causing the problem, but to no avail. PC still freezes and sometimes, when it loads, it freezes and screen turns green,black, and sometimes blue. IS this a hardware problem? how can i fix this?

MOBO:ASUS M4A78LT-M LE
RAM: 2GB
HDD: 300Gb
Processor: Athlon phenom II 965

actions taken but didn't solve the problem:

1. installed and run CCcleaner and Registry Easy
2. removed dedicated VGA (geforce 9500)
3. reinstalled OS
4. updated graphics drivers.

can anyone help??

Run a 'chkdsk /r' command from Command Prompt prior to start up.

Also run a memtest from BIOS settings.

See if that fixes your start up problems. Alternatively load your recovery discs and let 'Windows scan for start up errors' from the troubleshooting menu.