FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Lord of the rings, the movie or the book ?

pruebasftpph
The book is great, and the movie is fantastic, however I prefer the book
Insanity
I think that it is one of those few times when th emovie is actually better than the book. The book is great and all, but the movie captures it so well, and it's a lot more accessible than th ebook. The book is too long and the movie is short and sweet. It's also cooler to see battles on the big screen rather than imaginging it as you read.
skin
Movie Wink
Radar
I haven't read all of them, but I still have to say the book.

Even if I haven't read them, I still acknowledge that they would be better. The overwhelming majority of the time, the book is better than the movie based on it.
ujjwalshrestha
Read the book if you want to appreciate the literary value ....
watch movie if you want to passively grasp the movie
I'll suggest to read as well as watch movie... it's totally two different experience
eclipious
I really didn't like the books. It took me forever to read the first one.
I loved the Hobbit but for some reason I just wasn't into the actual Lord of the Ring series of books.

The movies were EPIC! And although I hate to say it, it was nicer to just watch then have to read. Plus it's more stimulating since the directors and producers basically do the imaging for us. I know, not as great but I like to watch movies as a relaxation and reading to me is more of an active participation which requires some energy to imagine the story and really go with it.

So definitely the movie! Come to think of it, I should do a marathon of it soon!
Mr_Howl
I like the books better. However, the movies were excellent.

I look forward to the new Hobbit movie! Smile
mochipie
I'm going to cheat here and say: both!

I was naturally though first introduced to the LotR through the movies. Then I read the books and they were as lovely as the movie, albeit in a more different way.
rjraaz
Book is better than the movie. Those allow us to imagine whole scene ourselves but by movies we just have to watch the other's imagination. There may be a possibility that a particular have better imagination than the movie script writer and enjoy the whole scene better.
nigam
yes...i pefer the book also....but however seeing the lord of the rings movie is that i did enjoyed watching and its fantastic too......
kenxeiko
I like the movie..
Actually i never read the book Embarassed

Well, it's hard to find the book at my country.
So, i just prefer to the movie.
deanhills
rjraaz wrote:
Book is better than the movie. Those allow us to imagine whole scene ourselves but by movies we just have to watch the other's imagination. There may be a possibility that a particular have better imagination than the movie script writer and enjoy the whole scene better.
Well said rjraaz. Sorry, I missed this post before. Very good point! Smile
Vanilla
eclipious wrote:
I really didn't like the books. It took me forever to read the first one.
I loved the Hobbit but for some reason I just wasn't into the actual Lord of the Ring series of books.

The movies were EPIC! And although I hate to say it, it was nicer to just watch then have to read. Plus it's more stimulating since the directors and producers basically do the imaging for us. I know, not as great but I like to watch movies as a relaxation and reading to me is more of an active participation which requires some energy to imagine the story and really go with it.

So definitely the movie! Come to think of it, I should do a marathon of it soon!

Same here. I was like "when the action is going to start, dear lord?". Don't get me wrong. Mr Tolkien was a linguist, not a writer. After they left the Shire, things start to get more interesting. I'm not a "only-books-with-pictures" type of person. My favorite book is "The NeverEnding Story", and I find it beautiful. I also love Hermann Hesse's books. You don't need to describe the freaking Caradhras from every angle to make me imagine it. Oh, I almost gave up on the book when I was reading the "Caradhras pass" part. Luckly for me, this part is so much shorter in the movie.

Still, I enjoyed the book. But yeah, not my type.
LPowell
Naturally the book! I think people should always first read the book and only than to see the movie while doing that we can compare the origin and the derivative of the same work.
sathym
I agree with you OP,the book is better.
kbaijnat
I enjoyed both the books and movies. However, the movies portrayed it so well that I would have to prefer the movies.
Coen
I have only read the first book (saw all three of the movies), and so far I like the book more. The movies are great when it comes to the battles, but the first one left out quite a lot that was in the book. In my opinion there is just nothing that beats books and text when it comes to describing emotions and character thoughts. Movies may get close to covering this, but will never be able to do it to the extend of books. In the end, being able to connect with characters is really important, and I do this easier via text than via a television screen.
mautron
id prefer the movie because i can watch the fantastic escenes instead just imagine them
TheLimey
Im going to have to say neither, really do not like Lord of the Rings. However, I am not hating I am just more into Guy Ritchie movies. Lock Stock, Snatch etc
TheGremlyn
I definitely prefer the book to the movie. That's usually the case for everything since I like the level of detail a book can offer to the reader. What I like about movies is putting a face to a name since I'd like to think they try to find an actor who closely resembles the character in the book. With such long and expansive worlds in LOTR I find the movies breeze through everything and the whole story is on fast forward. I still liked the movies and I think they did a really good job, but I would still sit down with the book so I could get all the details and feel that nothing was left out.
metalfreek
Most of the guys like to read books. Looks like I am among a few who prefers movie than book. May be the reason behind this is I am lazy and prefer 6/7 hour movie than reading books. Another thing is that English is not my native language and every time I start studying I have to put a dictionary on my side and it really frustrates me. Understanding movie is way more easier.
bluepig83
I enjoyed reading the books, but they do take a bit of time investment to get into. Normally, books don't translate well to the big screen, but in the case of LoTR, the movies did a fairly good job with the story and character development. And yes, imaginations can do a lot of heavy lifting but seeing the battles visually was awesome! In conclusion, the books are great in providing depth and background, but the movies are definitely a lot easier to digest and you still get not just the plot but the same feelings stirred up.
Iceaxe0410
I think it depends on person. The movies are great if the person isn't good at visualizing things they read from the book. The books naturally have more information and detail. This is true for any film adaptation. Putting an entire book or series into film requires that many things be omitted or changed. I'd still say books are the way to go, but that doesn't mean both can't be equally entertaining.

It also depends on the order in which you see or read the material. If you see the film first before reading the books, it could enhance your visualization of events from the book all while adding extra details. If you do it the other way around; read the book before the film, you more than likely would be disappointed because of all the things left out or certain things being changed. The films luckily seem to be one of those rare instances where it's good enough for both situations.
subhan1
A book is always the best whether it is HP or Twilight Smile
Ntham
Definitely prefer the book. The film is quite spectacular and helps to visualize some characters. But the book has a special magic, the illustrations of some editions, the smell of paper, the content and details, the passing sheet to sheet. Furthermore, it is much more complete.

Greetings everyone and enjoy your choice.
Hello_World
The book. The book is a journey, which is hard to translate on screen. I like my own imagination. The movie spent too long on the big battles, which are the part I find boring, although visually, in the movie, they were excellent, just too long and tedious.

subhan1 wrote:
A book is always the best whether it is HP or Twilight

Actually, I thought Twilight was better as a movie, the first one anyway (haven't seen the rest).