FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help! Back of my dog is paralyzed?

therimalaya
My family has kept dogs before but all of them died with to various reason. So we left keeping any pets. But 4 months ago a dog came to our house and start living there. We started to play with it and think it as a family member. After some days, its forelimb got paralyzed. Doctors suggest to give a medicine and do some exercise job. That really helped it. The dog again start to jump and play with us.

After 3 months, one morning, the same thing repeated again. This time the exercise or medication is not helping much. Is there any way of treatment? Help me! we really love the dog and it will be very hard to see it helpless.
Ankhanu
Don't ask the internet, visit a veterinarian.
ocalhoun
Well, taking it to the doctor seemed to really help last time...

And it's what I would recommend doing again, really.
A veterinarian is going to be more knowledgeable about dogs in general than most anyone here, and will be able to know more about your dog in particular because he/she will be able to examine the dog directly.

I will say though, if the vet says it's hopeless and recommends putting the dog down, I would recommend my policy instead:
You can usually tell when an animal doesn't want to live anymore because they won't even try to eat or drink anymore... As long as they're still trying to eat and drink et cetera, you can assume they still want to live, even with whatever condition they might have. (And, after all, you never know if they're going to have an unexpected miracle cure. Medical science isn't perfect, and a bad prediction from the doctor isn't always 100% right... But you'll never know if you don't give the pet a chance.) But when they can't be bothered to even try to eat, that often means they've given up, and then it's time.