FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Facebook - Waste of time?

ujjwalshrestha
Betty White said in her monologue when she hosted "SNL" in May 2010"

“I really have to thank Facebook … I didn’t know what Facebook was, and now that I do know what it is, I have to say, it sounds like a huge waste of time. I would never say the people on it are losers, but that’s only because I’m polite. People say ‘But Betty, Facebook is a great way to connect with old friends.’ Well at my age, if I wanna connect with old friends, I need a Ouija Board. Needless to say, we didn’t have Facebook when I was growing up. We had phonebook, but you wouldn’t waste an afternoon with it.”

Amid the news of Facebook IPO, I want to hear from the people in frihost if they think facebook is just overated media vehicle, complete wast of time which will go down eventually.
lucascoelho
That's quite an interesting question. I've been studying, using and overall being used by Facebook for a while now, and I do have reasons to agree with you, partially: it may be a waste of time. I say "may be" because it depends on who uses it and how. You can really use it to contact with friends, to see what people are up to or discuss topics of your interest. But, unfortunately, what we see more are silly jokes, videos and pictures, useless comments or disrespectful material.

Anyway, I consider Facebook as any other service online: it's just like anything else on our lives. The Internet is just another "place", just a party, your school/ workplace or the streets. What you do there, who you get in touch with and how you react to things is what makes the difference. So, in the end, it depends only on you.

I myself have already wasted too much time there, but due to recent changes in some relationships I have I changed also my behavior online and I can already feel the changes. I also "discovered" some good groups with really useful and deep discussions over serious subjects.

You see, there are ways to make it worth the while and I don't think it's going down eventually (or at least not so soon).[/u]
ankur209
I only see the positive outcomes of Facebook and i had posted a lot of information i get on Facebook,i hardly get from some another source/website...

It all depends on you ,what you're on facebook for..!!
Cool
menino
Facebook is for the new generation mainly.
A lot of old folks don't use it, because it requires a new learning curve for them; yet I've seen some old people use it for communicating with old friends.
Facebook may be time consuming for workers in an office, which makes users unproductive during their working timings.

But the way facebook works, will probably be the way businesses will interact (in my view), by sending instant messages via a social network page (more like sharepoint, to be more precise).
This will make workers more productive and the content better available with better security.
ujjwalshrestha
menino wrote:
Facebook is for the new generation mainly.
A lot of old folks don't use it, because it requires a new learning curve for them; yet I've seen some old people use it for communicating with old friends.

I remember one analyst once said - the moment the parents start using the facebook, that's when the kids going to move to something else.
ujjwalshrestha
When Facebook announced its IPO, a letter went out to the investors. The letter said - " It was built to accomplish a social mission - to make the world more open and connected."

As a networking or communicating with people/friends, I don't see it any different from others like google+, myspace. I don't see that edge except for its vast user base which might go dwindling once people start finding something more interesting. Remember myspace.

It is interesting to see how it will keep the people attached to it? I know many who don't use or log into facebook as before. Many google fans are already using google+, and there are plenty, who just want to taste something different, decided to move to google+.
ujjwalshrestha
On the question regarding whether facebook is a waste of time, I think it is waste until unless we make the best use of it. There are people spending hours and hours browsing through pictures and comments that doesn't add any values. However, I have found some of the recommended links from my network very interesting and worthy. The ease with which the information can be passed on is what make the social media so attractive.
deanhills
Depends what you want out of Facebook. Quite a number of companies are using Facebook to market their services, or Websites are using it as an important tool for SEO work. I personally am not much into Facebook. Can't help but feel like a victim of a huge Big Brother wanting to mine information from my movements as much as it can.
lucascoelho
deanhills wrote:
Can't help but feel like a victim of a huge Big Brother wanting to mine information from my movements as much as it can.

As I said, I try to make a good use out of it, but this Big Brother feeling really turns me down. And that's exactly the reason why I must disagree with this:

menino wrote:
But the way facebook works, will probably be the way businesses will interact (...).
This will make workers more productive and the content better available with better security.
ujjwalshrestha
The next thing for Facebook is to build apps (marketing tools) around its huge social infracture to make money out of it. It will be interesting to see how this will materialize with so many people wary about the privacy.
seb_z_lite
There's different ways to see it. Facebook can be bad or good. I see it as a tool. Yeah, they use it for data mining. It sucks being targeted with ads all the time but it's free. Just use Adblocks or a proxy. It's funny though because I deleted my account a couple of times a could never wait 14 days while my account was only deactivated. I use it because I live far away from my family and friends. I could use only emails but I don't get to "see" my friends as I "see" them on Facebook. It's virtual and not like meeting in person but sharing Youtube videos and making your friends discover sites you like and laughing at the same things keeps relationships interesting. Of course, it's going to be used by the government to spy on tax evaders and the CIA and FBI for criminals, it's public! So, Facebook, a waste of time? A lot of people are addicted to it. My aunt is addicted to it. She posts a picture every 5 minutes! I had to block her status updates. So, I could say she's wasting her time but it's her life. And regarding stalking, I heard a guy the other day say that Facebook was made for that!
Everybody does it. Who's not curious to see how his first girlfriend looks now?
liljp617
Almost every single capable, profit-seeking, successful organization on this planet uses data mining on its consumer base in an attempt to cater to their consumers' individuality and further support their suppliers.

Except I never hear people complain about anyone but Facebook or Google. Why? Have you ever shopped at a chain grocery store (Kroger, Walmart, etc.)? Have you ever bought an appliance from General Electric? Have you ever purchased anything using a rewards card from an airline, hotel, gas station/convenience store? Have you ever used a credit card?

Even the standards, please, or lose the hysteria.

ujjwalshrestha wrote:
When Facebook announced its IPO, a letter went out to the investors. The letter said - " It was built to accomplish a social mission - to make the world more open and connected."

As a networking or communicating with people/friends, I don't see it any different from others like google+, myspace. I don't see that edge except for its vast user base which might go dwindling once people start finding something more interesting. Remember myspace.

It is interesting to see how it will keep the people attached to it? I know many who don't use or log into facebook as before. Many google fans are already using google+, and there are plenty, who just want to taste something different, decided to move to google+.

MySpace (and Friendster) failed for reasons related to internal management and technical ignorance or stupidity. It had little to do with the competition, though that didn't help. They ignored giant internal problems and even mishandled those they decided to pay attention to.

Google continues to vastly overstate their user-base with regards to Google+ and the only reason most people have even bothered with it is because of the obvious SEO advantages that will continue to be put forth by Google. People are hardly interested in the social networking aspect of it, they just want to push their websites or names higher in the search rankings. That's about the only significant advantage Google has right now. And don't get me wrong, it's a large advantage, but Google has proven multiple times that they're not good at implementing long-term social networking concepts.
deanhills
liljp617 wrote:
Almost every single capable, profit-seeking, successful organization on this planet uses data mining on its consumer base in an attempt to cater to their consumers' individuality and further support their suppliers.

Except I never hear people complain about anyone but Facebook or Google. Why? Have you ever shopped at a chain grocery store (Kroger, Walmart, etc.)? Have you ever bought an appliance from General Electric? Have you ever purchased anything using a rewards card from an airline, hotel, gas station/convenience store? Have you ever used a credit card?
Well, if you'd make those subjects into topics, I'd definitely complain about them too. I remember when I was living in Vancouver, BC how many people complained about the junk mail that was delivered to their doors. Or people phoning them blind with the intent of questioning them. First question from people like me was always, where did you get my phone number from. There is no hysteria here. It's just common sense resistance to invasion of privacy. That is why I'm not participating in Facebook. And resisting Google and Google related Websites too. I realize that nothing is private online, but there are areas such as Facebook and Google where bots are much more aggressively invasive with mining me for information than other Websites such as Frihost for example!
johans
Quote:
Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:06 am Post subject: Facebook - Waste of time?

Facebook is waste of time if you are a busy person.. Facebook is a social networking "social" is just for fun and relaxation.. Right now more business have link with Facebook with many positive and advantage such as online support or some of it make it as online shopping for Facebook users..

Very Happy
liljp617
deanhills wrote:
liljp617 wrote:

Well, if you'd make those subjects into topics, I'd definitely complain about them too. I remember when I was living in Vancouver, BC how many people complained about the junk mail that was delivered to their doors. Or people phoning them blind with the intent of questioning them. First question from people like me was always, where did you get my phone number from. There is no hysteria here. It's just common sense resistance to invasion of privacy. That is why I'm not participating in Facebook. And resisting Google and Google related Websites too. I realize that nothing is private online, but there are areas such as Facebook and Google where bots are much more aggressively invasive with mining me for information than other Websites such as Frihost for example!

I was referring to companies monitoring your consumption behavior, not organizations illegally sending spam mail and making telemarketing calls. The thing is, I have never heard a person complain about "rewards cards" from places like Kroger, Walmart, Meijer, etc. I've never heard people complain about rewards cards from gas stations. I've never heard anyone complain about credit card companies offering rewards based on consumption behavior of the card user. Why not? Talk about mining data of consumers...

Do you have any types of rewards cards or "frequent shopper" cards? Ever gotten a hotel with a rewards card? Booked a flight using rewards points? Have you ever made repeat purchases of anything from the same retailer? Then your behavior was recorded in some manner and is probably being used in that company's decision making, especially regarding marketing.

Relatively speaking, Frihost likely takes in just as much information as Google or Facebook. The difference in how much information they have about you is that you simply provide less information to them. They can't record actions that you do not take. People voluntarily provide more information to Facebook and Google than they do to a website such as Frihost, and naturally Facebook and Google have more information about their consumers. Understanding your consumer base is the core of any successful business.

And, unless the owners and managers of Frihost simply don't care about the future of this website (I'm sure they do), they attempt to make appropriate changes to enhance advertisement placement, visitor numbers, visitor activity, etc. How do they do this? They monitor the behavior of their "consumers" -- you and me. You can't pretend they don't. Anyone who runs a successful website records and monitors data of visitors and users.
deanhills
liljp617 wrote:
I was referring to companies monitoring your consumption behavior, not organizations illegally sending spam mail and making telemarketing calls. The thing is, I have never heard a person complain about "rewards cards" from places like Kroger, Walmart, Meijer, etc. I've never heard people complain about rewards cards from gas stations. I've never heard anyone complain about credit card companies offering rewards based on consumption behavior of the card user. Why not? Talk about mining data of consumers...
I've never used any of those services as I've always been suspicious of those. There are plenty of these around. Like all those special deals one gets with some of the retail companies including those lotteries for winning a car, every time asking for address details and a phone number and e-mail address I don't think I'm the only one aware of this either. There are quite a number of people around me who are very much knowledgeable of this. And discussing it. May be a good topic for discussion at Frihost as well.

liljp617 wrote:
Do you have any types of rewards cards or "frequent shopper" cards? Ever gotten a hotel with a rewards card? Booked a flight using rewards points? Have you ever made repeat purchases of anything from the same retailer? Then your behavior was recorded in some manner and is probably being used in that company's decision making, especially regarding marketing.
I'd say most people are aware of this.

liljp617 wrote:
Relatively speaking, Frihost likely takes in just as much information as Google or Facebook. The difference in how much information they have about you is that you simply provide less information to them. They can't record actions that you do not take. People voluntarily provide

And, unless the owners and managers of Frihost simply don't care about the future of this website (I'm sure they do), they attempt to make appropriate changes to enhance advertisement placement, visitor numbers, visitor activity, etc. How do they do this? They monitor the behavior of their "consumers" -- you and me. You can't pretend they don't. Anyone who runs a successful website records and monitors data of visitors and users.
I'd hate to have Google compared with Frihost. Frihost is not sending bots to check on my daily Internet activities all over the Web. Bondings has not asked me for a cell number. Google and Frihost are miles apart. And if Frihost should elect to do its business differently to that of Google's, that does not make it necessarily unsuccessful. Frihost may have completely different objectives than Google has.
sysna
I'm one of the people that hate facebook but i have an account in it too, i barely check my facebook maybe once in a month. facebook is something like RSS today, if you have a website/blog and write something from your own in it then you should have a facebook account to get more feedbacks because peoples are now more interested in "Like" an article rather than posting comments in your website/blog about that article.

So even those who hate facebook should somehow communicate with it, but i should say why i hate facebook. i hate facebook because it keeps a history of all your activities and is destroying your privacy but how ? very easy, you come home and write on wall of your friends about what you have done in that day in school/university/work so the first problem is that if you make a mistake you mat write down something that you don't want someone to see and you just forget and this can cause many problems for you but if you call your friend to talk with him/her about that thing others will never know that. and about keeping the history, when you find a new friend you may want to don't let him/her to know all of your past activities but if you invite him/her to be your friend in facebook then he/she can see it all very easily.

By the way i hope someday people will get back to their old ways of communicating.
watchftp
Let's face it ... facebook will stay you hate it you love it.
lucascoelho
jasonbourne9839 wrote:
I think Facebook is not for a time waste it is good social networking website for promotion. Just use Facebook for good things.

You see, that's the kind of moment I wish I could just "Like it"! That's the whole idea: make a good use of it, or leave it. Period.
liljp617
deanhills wrote:
liljp617 wrote:
I'd say most people are aware of this.

That is precisely the point. People are fully aware of the fact that every profit-seeking company records, analyzes, and bases decisions on the data of its consumers/users, and yet the majority of people only start screaming when an Internet company does it. The inconsistency makes no sense. Unless someone lives under a rock, they're aware that Google tracks user activity.

Now why do you think Google tracks the data of its users?

Plain and simple: to provide more effective, targeted advertising. This is beneficial to both the consumer/user and the advertiser. They are simply no different from any other profit-seeking company in the world, except that maybe they do it better than anyone else (perhaps besides Amazon).
deanhills
liljp617 wrote:

Plain and simple: to provide more effective, targeted advertising. This is beneficial to both the consumer/user and the advertiser. They are simply no different from any other profit-seeking company in the world, except that maybe they do it better than anyone else (perhaps besides Amazon).
But are all people aware that they are being tracked by Google to the extent they are? I think every one would know they're being tracked to a certain extent, but Google's goes deeper for marketing purposes than especially non-geeks may be able to realize. One of the reasons I don't like Google's methods is that a direct offsetting negative of its marketing strategy is that when one searches for information with any search engine, it comes up with idiotic results. Rarely that the best information is listed right at the top of the search results. As people are of course savvying up to SEO as something that is scientifically applied these days in order to get their Websites right on the top of the search results. The more Google is perfecting its marketing, the more SEO strategies are causing it to become even more invasive than before to the extent of almost censure. Like when it refused to index .co.cc Websites for a while last July. Or when it implemented PANDA.
liljp617
deanhills wrote:
liljp617 wrote:

But are all people aware that they are being tracked by Google to the extent they are? I think every one would know they're being tracked to a certain extent, but Google's goes deeper for marketing purposes than especially non-geeks may be able to realize. One of the reasons I don't like Google's methods is that a direct offsetting negative of its marketing strategy is that when one searches for information with any search engine, it comes up with idiotic results. Rarely that the best information is listed right at the top of the search results. As people are of course savvying up to SEO as something that is scientifically applied these days in order to get their Websites right on the top of the search results. The more Google is perfecting its marketing, the more SEO strategies are causing it to become even more invasive than before to the extent of almost censure. Like when it refused to index .co.cc Websites for a while last July. Or when it implemented PANDA.

Everyone can understand Google's actions...it's really not that complex. They record demographics/search activity/clickthroughs rates/etc., analyze it for trends, and publish advertisements to users based on that information. Most people simply don't care, much the same way they don't care their local grocery store is tracking their purchase behavior every time they swipe their rewards card in the checkout lane for that small discount on milk and bread. The benefits outweigh the costs.

I don't know what the rest of your post is really about. Are you saying Google's marketing efforts make search results worse? I honestly don't see how anyone could argue that successfully. It's extremely rare to not have what you need on the first 1-2 pages...if it's not there either a) It doesn't exist on the Internet, which us unlikely or b) Your search criteria wasn't appropriate to find what you wanted to find.
GuidanceReader
Facebook is great for networking my business.... but it's also awesomely great at making the hours in my day just disappear Confused
nigam
for me, facebook is not a waste of time because it is in here that I can communicate with my sisters and relatives that lived in another country. it is where you can see their photos too and new updates on how are they right now....
deanhills
liljp617 wrote:
Are you saying Google's marketing efforts make search results worse? I honestly don't see how anyone could argue that successfully. It's extremely rare to not have what you need on the first 1-2 pages...if it's not there either a) It doesn't exist on the Internet, which us unlikely or b) Your search criteria wasn't appropriate to find what you wanted to find.
Yes I am, but not only Google. All of the search engines. I'm surprised that you don't see the junk in the first search results pages. Or maybe your search methods are just more superior than that of your average Joe (of whom I am a member). I doubt I'm the only one to notice all the junk links on the first pages of the search results, as there are plenty of people in my personal and work environment who have been complaining about the exact same thing.

For example - let's try searching on "free website hosting". I'd consider www.freewebspace.net one of the most important Websites to come up in the search results, yet in Google on the first results page it only shows at the bottom of the ad list on the right hand side of the search page. I'd have liked to see a list of directories first including freewebspace.net. I also rarely look at the links listed under paid advertisements so missed it the first time round.

I just checked Yahoo and it does not show freewebspace.net at all.
lucascoelho
deanhills wrote:
liljp617 wrote:
Are you saying Google's marketing efforts make search results worse? I honestly don't see how anyone could argue that successfully. It's extremely rare to not have what you need on the first 1-2 pages...if it's not there either a) It doesn't exist on the Internet, which us unlikely or b) Your search criteria wasn't appropriate to find what you wanted to find.
Yes I am, but not only Google. All of the search engines. I'm surprised that you don't see the junk in the first search results pages. Or maybe your search methods are just more superior than that of your average Joe (of whom I am a member). I doubt I'm the only one to notice all the junk links on the first pages of the search results, as there are plenty of people in my personal and work environment who have been complaining about the exact same thing.

I'd go beyond the junk problem. Even when all the results are relevant, say, with no junk, it's not necessarily the best results they bring to us, but the best results among those they consider important to show to us, based on linking to and from them, traffic and probably other commercial criteria. So, we may say, the results are tendentious, driven, biased. It seems to be even worse when the topic one is searching for is related to him/her in some way; for instance, geographically, based on their preferences or search history. Ok, it works fine when I'm looking for a chinese restaurant nearby, but it really doesn't help when I'm interested in some more general coverage of the issue (let's say, about chinese cuisine and cooking services in general, just to stick to the same example). Sure I can try to filter better those results with better search criteria, but it's just not enough many times.

deanhills wrote:
liljp617 wrote:

But are all people aware that they are being tracked by Google to the extent they are? I think every one would know they're being tracked to a certain extent, but Google's goes deeper for marketing purposes than especially non-geeks may be able to realize.

I really don't think so. Have you guys checked out their new Privacy Policy? They mention many details of data acquisition and even use that I consider the general user can't even imagine they do. It just makes me wonder: what else are they doing that is not on that policy?

By the way, maybe we should move this Google (and SEO in general) to another topic, as it began here about Facebook and it might make it tough for interested people to find it and contribute. Arrow
Hello_World
I like Facebook. I visit it often to see what people are up to. I don't spend a lot of time on it when I do get on it very often.

I like that I can post via my mobile my cycle workouts and that way it is public and I feel if I haven't kept up that every one knows... so it motivates me to go do it.

And it motivates me to go out more often, so that I can have something interesting to write on my page, otherwise I might stay home watching tv or movies or chatting on forums...

Not to mention my sister is in Canada... so useful.

So I don't really care if they take some data. Big deal they show me advertisements of bikes instead of something I'm not interested in like handbags or something. It's just advertising. What else can they do?
liljp617
deanhills wrote:
liljp617 wrote:

What are we labeling junk?

I have never had a problem finding anything I needed using Google. I'm pretty experienced with Google, as I grew up with it, but I also don't think using a search engine is incredibly complicated for any person who simply thinks a bit about the keywords they're using. If you're not seeing good results, it's likely user error. That's not Google's fault any more than it would be Ford's fault if you had a wreck because you weren't very adept at operating a vehicle.

Google doesn't throw random websites on the first page. Their algorithm, of course, is going to have holes and flaws, but they're continuously improving it and it seems to do one hell of a good job as it stands. If you think the search results you see today are bad, you have a short memory. Check the usefulness of search engines from a decade ago and then give your opinion on today's search engines. It's not even comparable and the increase in quality of results is nothing less than incredible.

I don't consider advertisements junk either. They are personalized, targeted ads that are directly related to the topic you searched for. It is a way for other websites and businesses to directly provide you the information you're looking for. And they're one of the few significant ways Google is able to continue thriving as a business, which means they're able to continue development of incredibly useful applications such as Gmail, Google Docs, and so on. Not only that, but you can opt out of the personalized ads on Google by clicking "Why these ads?" in the top right.

Quote:
For example - let's try searching on "free website hosting". I'd consider www.freewebspace.net one of the most important Websites to come up in the search results, yet in Google on the first results page it only shows at the bottom of the ad list on the right hand side of the search page. I'd have liked to see a list of directories first including freewebspace.net. I also rarely look at the links listed under paid advertisements so missed it the first time round.

I just checked Yahoo and it does not show freewebspace.net at all.

Well, let's be honest: Your singular opinion on what should or should not make the first page of a search engine is, in the grand scheme of things, extremely irrelevant. Search results are an "aggregate function" of a huge list of variables. Apparently, a very large portion of people don't believe freewebspace.net is worthy of a first page result. Otherwise, it's quite likely it would be there by the very nature of how search engines rank websites in results.
liljp617
lucascoelho wrote:
deanhills wrote:
liljp617 wrote:

I'd go beyond the junk problem. Even when all the results are relevant, say, with no junk, it's not necessarily the best results they bring to us, but the best results among those they consider important to show to us, based on linking to and from them, traffic and probably other commercial criteria. So, we may say, the results are tendentious, driven, biased. It seems to be even worse when the topic one is searching for is related to him/her in some way; for instance, geographically, based on their preferences or search history. Ok, it works fine when I'm looking for a chinese restaurant nearby, but it really doesn't help when I'm interested in some more general coverage of the issue (let's say, about chinese cuisine and cooking services in general, just to stick to the same example). Sure I can try to filter better those results with better search criteria, but it's just not enough many times.

What is the alternative? Search engines have always provided results based on what it thought was important or what it thought the user wanted to see. They have always been biased. That is the nature of a search engine -- to take your search terms, compare it to an index of websites, and return what it thinks is most closely related to what you need. The only difference now is search engines take in even more data in an attempt to understand the user even better, with the goal being to produce even better results. I don't think they're failing at that goal at all.

I just did a search for "Chinese cuisine" and had no problem finding general information, recipes, cultural cooking traditions, etc. All in the first 5-6 results. What's the problem?

Quote:
deanhills wrote:
liljp617 wrote:

But are all people aware that they are being tracked by Google to the extent they are? I think every one would know they're being tracked to a certain extent, but Google's goes deeper for marketing purposes than especially non-geeks may be able to realize.

I really don't think so. Have you guys checked out their new Privacy Policy? They mention many details of data acquisition and even use that I consider the general user can't even imagine they do. It just makes me wonder: what else are they doing that is not on that policy?

By the way, maybe we should move this Google (and SEO in general) to another topic, as it began here about Facebook and it might make it tough for interested people to find it and contribute. Arrow

You can opt out of their new privacy policy. Eric Schmidt, current Executive Chairman of Google, is a huge privacy nut and, in nearly every speech he gave in the months prior to the new privacy policy being unveiled, he emphasized that users would be able to opt out of it.

Apart from that, it is not Google's problem if people don't read the policy or understand their methods which are made quite transparent. Everything is spelled out pretty plainly to anyone who is interested. When people click "I Agree," Google has no sensible choice but to assume people actually do agree to what they said they agreed to. If you don't agree to their methods, don't say you do. Simple enough.
lucascoelho
liljp617 wrote:
You can opt out of their new privacy policy. Eric Schmidt, current Executive Chairman of Google, is a huge privacy nut and, in nearly every speech he gave in the months prior to the new privacy policy being unveiled, he emphasized that users would be able to opt out of it.

Apart from that, it is not Google's problem if people don't read the policy or understand their methods which are made quite transparent. Everything is spelled out pretty plainly to anyone who is interested. When people click "I Agree," Google has no sensible choice but to assume people actually do agree to what they said they agreed to. If you don't agree to their methods, don't say you do. Simple enough.

Yeah, right, man's word is always taken seriously and no one has ever had problem with things happening differently from what is stated on documents..... Liar

liljp617 wrote:
What is the alternative? Search engines have always provided results based on what it thought was important or what it thought the user wanted to see. They have always been biased. That is the nature of a search engine -- to take your search terms, compare it to an index of websites, and return what it thinks is most closely related to what you need. The only difference now is search engines take in even more data in an attempt to understand the user even better, with the goal being to produce even better results. I don't think they're failing at that goal at all.

I just did a search for "Chinese cuisine" and had no problem finding general information, recipes, cultural cooking traditions, etc. All in the first 5-6 results. What's the problem?

Well, I really thought there would be no problem for anyone to get my point regardless of my simple example of the Chinese food, but as it wasn't the case, let me try to make myself clearer: taking into consideration your preferences and other info is great many times, but it is really of no help when you do need to find different things on a subject, or search for new ones as, for instance, on a research. How can you move on and find new relevant sources for your work when they keep showing you only things close enough to what you already know?

Anyway, I just wanted to give some of my opinions on that matter, but I admit I don't have better grounded arguments. I'm pretty sure you may find them as well as better discussions about it, though. All you have to do is to google it! Idea
deanhills
liljp617 wrote:
Right. That is why SEO has become a specialized science, that is why PANDA was implemented by Google and that is why people know exactly what PANDA means, and why PANDA has just had an update recently. Rest assured it will continue to be updated on a regular basis. Like Income Tax regulations are in order to stay one step ahead of tax avoiders. And we may get PENGUIN and many other methods in its foot steps.

Go out and ask your average person who does daily searches what PANDA is and they won't have a clue. I don't either as the more I'm reading up on it, the more I realize how little is known about it for the very reason that Google does not want people to have full knowledge of their strategies. Those strategies have a direct bearing on evaluation of Websites and their ranking and hence position in the search results.

I'm not nixing Google here. I just don't believe it is as upfront about its motives and strategies as you seem to think they are. They're in the business of making money. That is the bottom line. Selling the image of being extremely open and protective of our privacy is part of their marketing strategy and I don't buy it at all.

lucascoelho wrote:

Anyway, I just wanted to give some of my opinions on that matter, but I admit I don't have better grounded arguments. I'm pretty sure you may find them as well as better discussions about it, though. All you have to do is to google it! Idea
You made some great points Lucas. I agree with you too, if we Google it we may find better grounded arguments than ours, but they would definitely exist.
lucascoelho
deanhills wrote:
I'm not nixing Google here. I just don't believe it is as upfront about its motives and strategies as you seem to think they are. They're in the business of making money. That is the bottom line. Selling the image of being extremely open and protective of our privacy is part of their marketing strategy and I don't buy it at all.

Agreed!

(And thanks. Maybe when I get some time I'll google it myself... Laughing)
Vanilla
Facebook is only a waste of time if you use it like this. Very Happy

People need to stop complaining about great things just for the sake of being different. It's a great tool for me to talk with my mom, because we're living in different cities now. And it's awesome because I need to stay in touch with my professional contacts. Some of them don't live near me, they live even in other countries! I don't use Facebook to fool around. And I don't care about silly things posted on my timeline. If you don't want to waste your time, just learn how to use facebook properly!
mengshi200
Ya,totolly agreed.if you can't arrange time and deal with these complex social network ,you will be waste your time.
busaboss
Vast amount of people depend on social networking sites for communication and news information but they don't actually optimize their usage. Sometimes they just use it for viewing unrelevant and useless feeds from their facebook friends. It is really a waste of time you do that. My sister is doing that that's why I'm very pissed when I need to wait to use the computer wherein she was doing nothing but garbage.
mgeek
Facebook is something you do to fill up the time. I can go for days without Facebook.
lucascoelho
mgeek wrote:
Facebook is something you do to fill up the time. I can go for days without Facebook.

Sadly I can't say the same; not anymore!

I'm spending lots of times there. Rescue time shows me that on the last 40 days I've been on average 59 minutes on Facebook! Comparing categories, General Social Networking (which is mainly Facebook for me) beats all other categories, including work and study support systems.

God, gotta find a way out of it!!! Shocked
Iceaxe0410
I think facebook will stick around. It has amassed quite the following. The only thing that may change that is if a competing social network starts to take over like what happened with Myspace. I don't even log into Myspace anymore. I remember when it was used by so many, particularly music bands to promote their music. These days, I don't even know anyone that uses it anymore. Facebook has the potential to share that fate, but I think it has a large enough following to avoid it. It will stick around just like I think Twitter will. They each have their place in social networking. So far, I don't think there are too many others that can match facebook.

As for being a waste of time. People enjoy that. I know I use it if I'm bored. It's something that people like to do. See what friends and celebrities are up to. If nothing is going on in your life, chances are something might be in another friend's life. That is, unless all your friends on facebook are boring.
D'Artagnan
newspapers waste of time?
magazines waste of time?
Soccer waste of time?
TV waste of time?
Spaceflight waste of time?

everything besides eating pooping breathing is a waste of time so enjoy
silverdown
I don't think Facebook is a waste of time, however I think the content people are allowing to be seen as well as putting on there 'wall' should be more private. I know a few people whom got there account banned and they couldn't even login to shut down there profile from public view. Face book is great for socializing with family, friends, and co-workers but there should be something that you should be allowed into such as a security setting or a view list to see each others profiles/walls. I know there is a setting, i dont think it secure enough.
lucascoelho
lucascoelho wrote:
mgeek wrote:

Sadly I can't say the same; not anymore!

I'm spending lots of times there. Rescue time shows me that on the last 40 days I've been on average 59 minutes on Facebook! Comparing categories, General Social Networking (which is mainly Facebook for me) beats all other categories, including work and study support systems.

God, gotta find a way out of it!!! Shocked

Well, since this post of mine from about one month ago, things got a lot worse regarding time spent on Facebook... it's for a good reason, though. I got to know a very nice girl whom I talk to mainly via Facebook (what I'm doing as I write here), but even for such a good reason I know spending hours there isn't justifiable!

Another very strange situation happening there are those groups, sometimes resembling more communities or something. One of mine is related to another social network... so, in practice, we're having most messages doubled there and in the official website of the other social network, which means double waste of time!!

Crazy, crazy world!
shoaib
Anything is not good or bad... Its mainly depends on you that how you are using it? The type of use is good or bad not a thing...
Iceaxe0410
It's not really a waste of time if it's used for something say promoting your forum, it can be a powerful tool to get the word out and promote it. Especially helps a lot of businesses get information out, especially in the entertainment business. If you have a book or cd being released, it can easily get the message out. It has kind of taken place of official websites where there may be an audience limited to the main fanbase or clients. On facebook, the main fanbase can also draw in friends that get introduced to something new that they might like indirectly since they are able to view what their friends are doing.
deanhills
I think Facebook can be good or bad depending on what it is used for. One probably needs to familiarize oneself with the privacy options in it and know how it works before one subscribes to it. I only opened an account under a different name as one of the Forums I'm a member off have a Facebook account and I'm a member of Facebook through that. Then discovered how vulnerable a person can be from a privacy point of view if one doesn't go into the tools and options of the account to really make it private and secure.
paypalhack
I don't think that FB is a waste of time since for me it is the primary way to be in contact with the people I know. Though some people obviously spend too much time playing useless games there but that's not my problem Very Happy
silverdown
If it conflicts with your life then I guess it would be a waste of time. Other then that I guess it a good pastime or a social tool, I only play the games when i feel like it.
crystalkey
It's a waste of time, unless you are regularly using it to contact people, and not play games or forward meaningless quotes, pics, and other nonsense all day long ...

I regularly block all apps that people send me. I also block any accounts who have been hacked to send me commercial spam.
asnani04
Whether or not Facebook wastes time depends on the user. If you use it for pointless purposes, and sit for hours on the site doing nothing, you are wasting your time. On the other hand, if you use it for a limited time period, and don't just sit in front of it for long, you could be using it effectively to ease out your pressures. Smile
mgeek
asnani04 wrote:
Whether or not Facebook wastes time depends on the user. If you use it for pointless purposes, and sit for hours on the site doing nothing, you are wasting your time. On the other hand, if you use it for a limited time period, and don't just sit in front of it for long, you could be using it effectively to ease out your pressures. Smile

I agree.
dressup12
people who don't have a life can go on it and have something to do. People who actually have a life go hang out with their friends, they dont just sit at home and IM them. Facebook can be a waste of time if you have a life, but if you dont have a life then no.
zaxacongrejo
When that word Facebook come to me i always ask myself why Facebook when we have virtual worlds
isn’t Facebook kind a born outdated?
twotrophy
I think Facebook is waste of time if it is use excessively. I rarely use Facebook. I only log on to Facebook to read my news feed and to check Facebook groups which I have joined. I do not play any games on Facebook but I play other games such as Minecraft.
RosenCruz
After spending a few years in it, I thought so and deleted my account Rolling Eyes
zaxacongrejo
Quote:
After spending a few years in it, I thought so and deleted my account

have you ever considered virtual worlds?
jajarvin
I have Facebook account for three years now, but I have not used Facebook as a couple of times.
I have still not figured out the purpose of Facebook.
deanhills
I only use my Facebook account when I need to visit people's Facebooks when they have asked me to. Otherwise I stay away. I'm sure it has social value for people. I just don't trust Facebook however, particularly in the way it is mining information when one is not on a proper lookout for which box to untick or to tick.
tingkagol
Facebook can be useful. It could also be a huge time-waster. It's all dependent on how you use it.

As for its longevity (and here comes my Nostradamus-like prediction, i.e. not entirely reliable) it will eventually be overtaken by Google+. It already happened to Firefox (Chrome).
fouadCh
ujjwalshrestha wrote:
Amid the news of Facebook IPO, I want to hear from the people in frihost if they think facebook is just overated media vehicle, complete wast of time which will go down eventually.

Nope, I've never been lured into it (and never will).. because I know exactly what It is.. and yes, It's a royally huge waste of time from a user perspective, and I'm still didn't get why people are so easy to be manipulated!... But, as a web developer, I must say that they have done a good job at resolving the many technical challenges that face any web application handling millions of requests daily !...

About the question of it going down.. Well, I don't think so !.. Why?.. Well people love it !.. Can you see the paradox?!..
jajarvin
Frihost is much better than Facebook.
the_emissary
jajarvin wrote:
Frihost is much better than Facebook.

I agree, spacebook is a waste of time no matter how you look at it.
BlankODE
From my point of view , facebook is a waste of time . but if you don't have what to do . and just scroll till the end of time ..
rmines
I signed up for facebook because I had to be able to get the code to put it on my webpage for a class.
Clients might want that option.
So, I bit the bullet and did it. Haven't used it, just sign in every now and then to keep it active.
Everything has its cycle.
Just as predicted, when the old people get on, the young will flee.
Been happening for millenia.
Back in the way back days it probably started with rocks.
Kids decided they could talk to each other in code by hitting them together.
The old people put it down because they could get hurt by pieces flying off.
Then the old people saw that the pieces flying off were useful and turned the fun into work and started selling their work.
So the kids decided to make smoke signals.
Then the old people figured out what pos meant and decided it was useful for the communicating.
So the kids came up with a new one and the cycle kept repeating until we are at the Facebook cycle...
JoRu
Depends on what you use facebook for. Stalking is a total waste of time for me.
B88maritime
Facebook can useful for variety of reasons. Personally, I use facebook to connect with friends and family. I also get updates from remote friends so I keep the connection. On marketing sense, Facebook can good for referral pitch or testimonials. If you are promoting a consumer product, it might be a good tactic to use facebook in your campaign - especially if you can show people actually using it and bragging it on facebook.
pravojednostavno
I signed up Facebook, because my boyfriend (now husband) wanted me to try it, as he said it is the best way of communication with all your friends and relatives. I was sceptical about it.

Now the ideas in my husbands head are changed, he deactivated his page in Facebook. And I like it.

But me... I do not want to deactivate Facebook, but I'm definitely not into it. For me it is just the way to show up in front of your friends, like contest "Who is the most active in showing his/her life". You need to be really hard-working on your popularity in FB. Since I'm not the popular chick in school/university/work, and never was, and never would be. I don't need it.

Sometimes, I am crazy enough to post a picture of mine, that happens when someone comments FB in my real life, and then I think: "Hell, I'm so old, I cannot use FB, or I'm not trendy any more because I don't use FB". And when I'm done - the popularity disease is gone. I never check on comments, likes or any massages, as well as never change my status.
subru
ujjwalshrestha wrote:

“I really have to thank Facebook … I didn’t know what Facebook was, and now that I do know what it is, I have to say, it sounds like a huge waste of time. I would never say the people on it are losers, but that’s only because I’m polite. People say ‘But Betty, Facebook is a great way to connect with old friends.’ Well at my age, if I wanna connect with old friends, I need a Ouija Board. Needless to say, we didn’t have Facebook when I was growing up. We had phonebook, but you wouldn’t waste an afternoon with it.”

I dont think that is true because facebook helps us to keep in contact with our friends even after we leave our college or jobs . I would say it is a really great venture
pravojednostavno
For me is Facebook definitely waste of time.
biolu
Facebook is a waste of time, but finally, lot of things we do are time waster (watching tv, series, etc...). So who are we to judge what other people do with their own time?
zacky
It becoming waste of time if your doing on it is useless.
medim84
Facebook is becoming less cool for young adults. Who wants to be on a social network with his parents?
zacky
medim84 wrote:
Facebook is becoming less cool for young adults. Who wants to be on a social network with his parents?

hahaha indeed. I feel you. Even with my boss as keep tracking my activity on Facebook so I tend to put him on restricted access. Cheers!
playfungames
I have to say that Facebook is a waste of our productivity because we spend too much time on it browsing pictures, making comments, liking stuffs and getting our stuffs liked. It is not a complete waste of time because I have met friends old and new using this social network. Now, if only I could use less of Facebook everyday, I would be more productive. But, I have developed this addiction where I have to open Facebook every once in a while. Going to open it right now...
deanhills
*Warning: rant coming*

I'd say FaceBook is one medium I'll never get addicted to, particularly as I can't understand why people are so much into Facebook. For me it is one of the most FRUSTRATING, disorganized, inefficient, intrusive, security high-risk sites any one could dream about. I was given the task a few weeks ago of creating a FaceBook Web page for a Website, and it was frustrating from the get go. The first thing I had to spend virtually hours with was to untick all the by default public options so as to at least protect it from the spammers BUT at the same time keep it open for the legit and prospective new members of the Website - I had to think and evaluate every "untick" carefully from a marketing and SEO point of view. Then I absolutely hate to see at the bottom and down the sides of the Facebook Web page completely unrelated and irrelevant faces of people that Facebook wants me to invite, and that I don't want to see, don't want anything to do with, and still have to figure out how to get rid of them.

One of my first challenges was to be able to create a unique web page name in Facebook, without the use of a phone. Facebook now forces people to have a cell phone ready, so that a code is sent by SMS to the phone that one then has to feed back to Facebook in order to get a unique name. I tried all kinds of ways, but in the end had to relent. Then I tried to figure out which part of the Facebook Web page only I can see and which part those who visit my page can see. Can't Facebook at least have view options? I still haven't figured out quite how to get rid of all of the notifications. I at least learned so far one CANNOT delete them. One can hide them, block the author, but they stay there forever. Only part I've liked so far is the notes one can write. To the equivalent of our posts here at Frihost. But I just wish I could organize them differently on my Facebook Web page. I still haven't got used to how the page looks like. For me it looks like a dog's breakfast every time I look at it.

Any way, I just feel Facebook is a chaotic dog-eats-dog environment that is completely foreign to my style of working. I like rational, organized, neat and orderly without spammers lurking visibly, particularly those that look like porn types. I'm also irritated with Facebook cashing in more and more, like I was hoping to use a RSS Feed from our Website which feature was removed by Facebook a couple or more years ago. The only RSS feed that is possible, is from the notifications. I now try and compensate by posting notes and messages in Facebook that link up with the Website content. I promise you, if I hadn't have to do it, I wouldn't have got past creating the initial account I had to open in order to create the Facebook Web page.

In the end I cannot understand why people could be addicted to Facebook, and indirectly provide the Facebook management and owners with SO MUCH POWER to control our lives on the Internet. Surely we are more intelligent human beings than that? YouTube I get, as it provides an essential service. Google I get as it provides an excellent service. I try and resist Google as much as I can, and I may rant about Big Brother type corporations being a threat for our freedom on the Internet, but I can't take away from the fact that Google is excellent at what it is doing. But FaceBook I can't get at all.

Blummer
I personally think Facebook is really helpful for connecting people and organising things, but at the same time people tend to take it too seriously, syncing their lives with Facebook, informing everyone wherever they are whatever do etc...For me it's too much. How harmful this is for the others is their own decision.
Annettekroghhansen
It depends on your discipline. Its good to spread important information very quickly, to find lost friends e.g. But at the same time you can waste all your time on absolutely nothing - in worst case negative thoughts/information.
Insanity
I think there's definitely a positive side to Facebook, but like any other tool it depends on how you use it. People who spend all day on it scrolling through their newsfeed until the very end might not be using it to it's full potential. It's a great way of reaching out to people if you're in the government, or spreading the word about your new restaurant, giving out info if you don't want to start your own website, updating your fans and followers about the most recent news for your thing, and reuniting with old friends. There's so much potential in Facebook that saying that it's a waste of time is misunderstanding what it can be so useful for.
Kapellhagen
for journalists, fb sure aint just waist of time. U find news that readers are most interested and discuss there, and can communicate with both readers and other journalists thru it. Its also a great means of finding people and getting them to answer and response.
Also, if ure a freelance or selling your "thing", its a vast marketing place.....
Claimconsultantsllc
Its all depend on you how you use facebook.
jestoy0514
If you plan on using facebook for 24 hours a day 7 days a week and 365 days a year, then it will be a waste of time unless you were using it for your business then it's okay. But if you plan on using it moderately it will not be a waste of time. In fact it will help you communicate with friends and families even if they are overseas or they just very far away from you which for me is not a waste of time.
loveandormoney
ujjwalshrestha wrote:

Its dangerouis also.
Nearly every week there is police action cause of FB
cause of that community and community very often the police is asking people and sometimes we ask a lawyer for help.

KEEP PASSWORT VERY VERY SAVE and change it once a week.

Be careful there.
restonpiston
Quote:
KEEP PASSWORT VERY VERY SAVE

It's important that everyone keeps that in mind, losing your password can be comparable to losing your home's keys.
loveandormoney
Thats wrong.
Change the password once a week. Or all is lost .
andy26
ujjwalshrestha wrote:

I dont really like facebook i find myself using it to catch up on the news more than i do to cach up with my friends.

It is favored by companies to reach out and advertise and it seems to be growing in the ad direction more and more.

If platforms like myspace can eventually die off i wonder if facebook can? I think facebook is such a great media tool the media itself will strive to keep facebook relevant.