FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Visual basic tutorial for kids

futurcat
Anybody is aware of a good source of Visual basic tutorial for kids?

In fact it does not need to be visual basic, but any other language which is easy for kids 10-12 to pick.
jcreus
futurcat wrote:
Anybody is aware of a good source of Visual basic tutorial for kids?

In fact it does not need to be visual basic, but any other language which is easy for kids 10-12 to pick.

Maybe the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logo_%28programming_language%29 LOGO programming language? A classic for kids to learn.
davidv
When I was a 10 - 12 year old, I liked things that gave me instant gratification. That is, if I do something, I want to see something change as soon as that change is made. I think a very good start up language to teach kids would definitely not be VB but instead, web development languages like HTML and CSS. They're incredibly easy to learn, they are industry standard and because it's markup, kids will instantly see something change.

It's much easier for kids to see what's in front of them and understand it than to visualise it in their minds and conceptually build an understanding around it.

Code:
<div id="box">

</div>

#box {
    background-color: red;
    width: 100px;
    height: 100px;
}

Hey look! I've made a red box appear on the screen! Now let's see if we can make it a rectangle. After that, let's make the rectangle, blue!

Not to mention, HTML and CSS tutorials are all over the web. Tonnes of online documentation, tutorials and forums as resources.

However, if you want to teach the kids a bit of logic, maybe something in the field of algorithms. Like I have suggested over and over, Python is a great language to start with.
Sna1L
Offtop.
IMHO Pascal is better then VB for education. In Russia this is most popular language for learning programming in schools and universites.
Sorry for my english:)
Marcuzzo
learning the first language is the hardest when it comes to programming.
after that the concept stays the same.
I started out with html and javascript aswel.