FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Raspberry Pi

weableandbob
I came across a project called Raspberry Pi the other day (raspberrypi.org). It's a $25 ($35 for the more full featured model) Linux computer run off of an ARM 11 processor. It's a fully functional computer about the size of a credit card, and while it certainly is not a powerhouse, it should do what it was designed to do well, which is to provide a cheap way for people to learn how to program. They also claim that it can render 1080p video just fine, which means that it might be a nice and cheap way to set up streaming media for your TV. Any thoughts?
Ankhanu
We've been discussing r-pi in the Frihost IRC channel for a few weeks now, and everyone who's talked about it seems pretty in love with the idea Smile It looks like an incredible little piece of computing hardware; could make a fantastic low-power web server Smile
ghbyte
Ankhanu wrote:
We've been discussing r-pi in the Frihost IRC channel for a few weeks now, and everyone who's talked about it seems pretty in love with the idea Smile It looks like an incredible little piece of computing hardware; could make a fantastic low-power web server Smile

Yeah. If this this thing comes out, i'll use it for OwnCloud and Friendica. Perfect solution for keeping control of your data in the cloud. Very Happy
What i dislike is that you need t oboot from a sd card. I'm not sure if a 16GB SDCard would fit my needs....why no support for HDD-boot? Sad

Greetz George
ujjwalshrestha
I heard the news about Raspberry Pi - I think it's awesome.

Is it already available for the general public?
ghbyte
ujjwalshrestha wrote:
I heard the news about Raspberry Pi - I think it's awesome.

Is it already available for the general public?

They want to sell the first exemplars this month. We'll need to wait a few days or weeks.