FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My cat does not purr

iyepes
I have an adopted kitty, seven month old, and recently I noticed that it does not purr.

I've read it's normal, but I still think it's strange. It also don't like to be rubbed in the chin like my older cat.

¿Does some of you have cats which doesn't purr?
pruebasftpph
The cat's sister had the same problem, but 3 months later started to purr again

iyepes wrote:
I have an adopted kitty, seven month old, and recently I noticed that it does not purr.

I've read it's normal, but I still think it's strange. It also don't like to be rubbed in the chin like my older cat.

¿Does some of you have cats which doesn't purr?
boinsterman
Our cat doesn't purr very much, if at all. We believe she was traumatized by an attack from an owl and from a fox (and maybe by us putting her in a cat carrier the first time so we could take her to the vet). I was gone from the area for several years and don't know if she purred then. She does have her ways of displaying affection, though--mostly meowing for food or for us to pet her.
standready
My cat never did purr! Did growl and hiss when he got mad you.
Josso
All cats are different, my cat hardly ever meows but is like purr central - you can just make a squeaking noise at it to kind of say hello and it'll start purring at you.
coolclay
I've personally never seen a cat that didn't purr, but it's probably just a personality trait. Some animals are just less "emotional" than others. But who knows maybe it will start as it gets older?
deanhills
I also have never seen a cat that does not purr. Maybe it will take a little while. Particularly when you're not expecting it any longer.
ricardooliveira
Try to take your cat to a vet maybe?
coolclay
Try returning it to Walmart as defective, and video tape it = instant Youtube stardom
iyepes
I can't return him nowhere, I adopted it from the street Smile

Now he's a little bit older, 8 months, and he still doesn't purr, but when I put my fingers to rub his chin I can feel a small vibration, maybe he purrs low volume Smile
claire
My dear little cat does not purr as well, but I don't care about this, as long as she is healthy, I am happy too.
Radar
When explaining what a cat is to small children, you could easily define them as the things that purr.

If it doesn't purr, is it really a cat?
abhizz
My old cat never did purr but the new adopted making purr all the time!! The words are right all cats are different
matrixuk321
What about if you give it a ball. Strange but it works - try it lol
iyepes
I found out recently that he purrs very, very low. You have to put your fingers under his chin to notice it. I have a silent cat Smile
codersfriend
what do you do to make cats purr?
Bondings
codersfriend wrote:
what do you do to make cats purr?

Just being close to your cat already does it sometimes. Usually you have to pet it, though.

And @iyepes, what about putting your ear against your cat to hear it better? I sometimes do that with my cat (just randomly, he purrs loud enough most of the time) and the purring sound is greatly increased. Also what I noticed is that when he is sleepy he usually purrs very very low like you mention your cat does.