FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows 7 Partitioning

pazis
Hi. How may I see my hard disk information like unformatted disk space, linux drives (like ext3), etc on Windows 7? I know some software like Partition Magic, but is there any tool on Windows itself!?
Fire Boar
No, nothing that gives you any actual control. There's something which allows you to view partitions, but I'm guessing you want to change stuff. For that you will need to run a program which has no reliance on your hard disk whatsoever. That is, Windows cannot be running while you're partitioning, unless you're partitioning a hard disk that Windows isn't actively using. The way to do this is with a bootable tool. Gnome Partition Editor Live is probably the best tool I've encountered for this, although any Linux installer comes with similar tools. In Ubuntu, for example, if you boot into the "try Ubuntu" mode, you can press Alt+F2 and type "gksudo gparted" (without quotes) to launch the partitioning utility.
ghbyte
pazis wrote:
Hi. How may I see my hard disk information like unformatted disk space, linux drives (like ext3), etc on Windows 7? I know some software like Partition Magic, but is there any tool on Windows itself!?

You can see the partitions in the partition manager of Win7 itself (i don't know the english name of it).The partitions will be shown with their size, but as an unknown format. Win7 can't detect formats like ext3 or JFS. Crying or Very sad
newhorizon
check your disk space by:
1) Go to start.
2)right click on computer
3)click on administer.
4)select disk management
now you will be able to check the disk space on your pc.

-Logan
pazis
Thanks everyone. Very useful information... I was just looking for that "Disk Management". That was on Accessories menu on Windows XP. I couldn't find it on Windows 7.
donoob88
in case of some readers want more details:
Open the Disk Management console by typing diskmgmt.msc at an elevated command prompt.
In Disk Management’s Graphical view, right-click an unallocated or free area, and then click New Simple Volume. This starts the New Simple Volume Wizard.
Then maybe you can continue it, it is user friendly i think.
Win 7 is cool that it has its own partitioning wizard, unlike win xp.. Very Happy
ilmkidunya
newhorizon wrote:
check your disk space by:
1) Go to start.
2)right click on computer
3)click on administer.
4)select disk management
now you will be able to check the disk space on your pc.

-Logan

This is the best and easy way to get
nusilmar
You can also go to Start-Run
and write : diskmgmt.msc then enter

and you'll get in disk management