FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

AMD Clock Speeds

AMD or Intel?
AMD
91%
 91%  [ 11 ]
Intel
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 12

Wd_removed
If you look at 2 processors, similar prices, lets say 100 each.

One an intel, one an AMD. If you look at the clock speeds for both the intel ends up about 1GHz higher..

Now I'm looking to buy a new PC. It will either be AMD athlon 64+ or Intel P4. What does AMD lack of clock speed actually mean?

And overall which processor do you guys find superior?

and what tasks is each one best at?
snowboardalliance
I'm no expert, but from what I've read, my AMD 64 3000+ at 1.8GHz, is similar to the speed of an Intel at 3.0GHz (the 3000+ part). Generally, this means you can get AMD for cheaper than Intel. Wait for someone else to post though, I could be wrong.
Wd_removed
Yeh... The thing that makes me wonder about this though, is how the top in seemingly every affordable CPU benchmark test, the P4 3.2GHz always wins.
Kd527
I think it's measured differently from the Intel. A 1.8 GHz AMD runs the same as about a 3.4 GHz Pentium.
RA
I agree. To compare Athlons to P4s, you can generally add 1Ghz to the Athlon speed, and get the P4 equivalent.
Wd_removed
Makes sense... I was adding about 600 MHz anyway because I know a 3200+ AMD is the equilvalent of a P4 3GHZ.
SoftStag
AMD and Intel both make excellent processors. There is little to choose between the 2. My personal preference in the AMD; generally they give better performance for your money. Either way, you will get a good PC Smile
golles
snowboardalliance wrote:
I'm no expert, but from what I've read, my AMD 64 3000+ at 1.8GHz, is similar to the speed of an Intel at 3.0GHz (the 3000+ part). Generally, this means you can get AMD for cheaper than Intel. Wait for someone else to post though, I could be wrong.

Yes that's true. I have allmost the same CPU as you but I have the 2 GHz (also 3000+). it is much faster then most Intels.
AMD is much cheaper then Intel but I think the most expensive Intel will be really good Smile but never tried it Sad

//golles
Wd_removed
Cheers... I've been saving my coinage now though.. and I'm looking at dual core processors... Who owns the duel core section?
Boles Roor
AMD. For sure. Get an X2 4400+. If that's too expensive get a 3800+ and OC the crap out of it. Won't get on par with the 4400+ though, because of 1MB of L2 Cache, against 512 of the 3800+.
kansloos
CPU Clocks don't tell the story
AMDs CPU caches are better and larger then intels CPU caches

Generaly,
AMD can handle mutiple things at average speed and
Intel can handle one thing very fast
dcshoes23
I always go with AMD from now on, b/c i had one intel and wasn't satisfied, so i switched and have been happy ever since. All my buddy's always suggest getting an AMD, and their arguments are pretty much the same as the above ones. My laptop has an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ which is pretty good, my brother has an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ which is really fast and I like it, and my other brother just bought an AMD Athlon 64 3700+ whis is also really fast and we're happy with, so obviously its pretty good or we wouldn't have got all of them. Oh, and my mom's computer is a AMD Athlox XP 1800+. And those numbers are to help to compare to an Intel. Plus you can't always judge a processor by it's frequency, u have to measure it by a bunch of other factors such as how many instructions it can do in a given time. Also from what i hear p4's have some special features for multimedia applications which make them better for that. So pretty much for the average person or gamer, amd is the right choice.
Donutey
AMD Processors have a shorter pipeline, thus they are more efficient than the NetBurst (P4, PD) architecture which has a longer pipeline, though this allows higher clock speeds...

AMD is generally better at gaming, average daily stuff (especially when you consider power consumption) though generally intel is better at video/music encoding because of it's generally higher clockspeed..