FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

LED Monitors Vs LCD Monitors

jeffseo
There was once a time, not so long ago, where computers and TV's had a weird shape and weird light display. But LED monitors are here to fix that! LED lights were normal, but monitors were what really surprised me!

When I did some research, I found out that LED and LCD monitors can be the same and different in many ways.

Here are some things to distinguish them:

Basic difference: They both are based on the same technology but they differ in the back lighting used. LCD monitors make use of fluorescent lamps but LED monitors use light emitting diodes. The difference is just the technology.

Power Consumption: LEDs are a new technology but they are already preferred over LCD because it has comfort of viewing and offer better picture quality. They also require a lot less power and they have low energy needs.

Cost: LED's are more expensive, however, then LCD's. That is one thing that is holding back the performance of these monitors. Although you pay a higher price, it is well worth it and they are easier to use.
badai
if you need true LED, get OLED. those stupid advertising agencies market LED-backlit as LED, and LED as OLED.

to be sure when you bought it, knock the screen with your knuckle. if it's hard than it's LED.
william
badai wrote:
if you need true LED, get OLED. those stupid advertising agencies market LED-backlit as LED, and LED as OLED.

This is completely true. I can't wait for true LED (OLED) to become mainstream. But as it stands now, they aren't really ready for primetime. Every OLED screen I have has experienced burn-in and looks like one of those cheap digital displays from the 1980s.
jeffseo
Thank you dudes for your guidance here so nice of you
cybersa
badai wrote:

to be sure when you bought it, knock the screen with your knuckle. if it's hard than it's LED.

I agree with you.
My friend had LED-Backlight screen.
Really very bad visual.
You will suffer from viewing form certain angle.
kmontano
I prefer my LCD displays over pure LED displays. It's really a personal preference though.
menino
Nice info on LCD's and LED's.

How about Plasma screens? Whats good or bad about them, compared to LCD's and LED screens?
Hexes
I was wondering what is the difference between them and now I know that there is almost none. I am still using LCD on my pc but my friend has bought LED monitor. He is claiming that it display fonts much better than LCD screens. I have found nice article about lcd vs led monitors. You can find it here: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/led-vs-lcd-monitor.html
weableandbob
LCD's are currently better, but once LED screen technology gets better (perhaps even up to Apple's retina display quality), they'll most certainly be better.
Aaron_Shockley
weableandbob wrote:
LCD's are currently better, but once LED screen technology gets better (perhaps even up to Apple's retina display quality), they'll most certainly be better.

I am in the hunt for a new monitor, and it is definitely going to have LED backlighting. This is a good article which explains the differences between a LCD monitor and a LED monitor:

http://www.best-monitor-reviews.com/lcd-monitor-or-led-monitor-which-should-i-choose/

The article has a link to a 5:00 minute YouTube video which details the different parts of a flat panel monitor, and how this technology works.

Flat panel displays really are amazing and complex pieces of engineeering!
Helios
I've bought a LED monitor and I like it very much, compared to my old LCD one (same price range, around 225$). The difference in display quality exists of course, but it's just because my new screen has a better panel... the big difference is power consumption which I care about a lot. I'm working on minimizing power consumption around the house and the fact that I needed a new screen turned into an opportunity to lower the power consumption Smile

Of course OLED should be a big improvement however.
zimmer
LED - Light Emitting Diode is the latest technology which is more energy saving parts of electronics from Television, monitor, light and many more functions. More and more developers used LED to help energy and mother earth.
Aaron_Shockley
zimmer wrote:
LED - Light Emitting Diode is the latest technology which is more energy saving parts of electronics from Television, monitor, light and many more functions. More and more developers used LED to help energy and mother earth.

Good points about how using LED technology lowers your power consumption. I have converted any light fixtures and lamps in my house that get used for more than one hour per day to LED light bulbs. It was an expense up front, but the savings is downstream. LED light bulbs last for years-some manufacturers tout 40,000+ hour lifetimes, and they use 15% of the power of an incandescent light bulb/35% of the power for a CFL.

The sticking point seems to be nobody wants to pay $10 or more for a stinking light bulb--but they pay for themselves within 2-3 years, and afterward deliver pure savings for the rest of their useful lives. I am seeing more 6-8 watt LED bulbs in the $10 range now. I use 6-8 watt LED bulbs to replace 60 watt incandescent bulbs (even though the package might say they are for replacing 40 watt bulbs--a 7 watt LED bulb is bright enough to be used in 60 watt sockets).

I recently purchased some 8-watt LED bulbs at Home Depot for $9.97 apiece, but I have also purchased many online. This site reviews every LED bulb sold at Amazon.com for $10 or less:
http://led-lightbulb-reviews.com
sysna
Currently prices are getting a lot near and LCD and LED now are nearly same priced. you get better and more alive colors in LED monitors and a lot better contrast which means black color is now much like black and it is very important for those who use their monitor to watch movies.
milkshake01
Thanks for the information. Eventually, LCD screens would be discontinued.
zaxacongrejo
the power consumption difference bettwen them is very big and it can be like 2 times or more
and i guess in about 2 to 3 years of utilization a led monitor will start to represent savings at your wallet

crts 21 inches uses about 200w
lcd 21 inches uses about 80w
led 21 inches uses about 40w some even less i saw 30W
riteshk1
well you don't get the clear answer if you compare individual displays. Led usually produce better color high resolution. Almost led monitor use lcd technology to produce picture. Led are fast to change in their drive power.
Possum
Frihost Copright

Hi

I really like and am educated by some of these posts and would like to use them on my site. Can I copy them.

P.S. I would but a link to this post..
Gregoric
When I was choosing a laptop to buy a few months ago, I have read some articles on LCD versus LED LCD display screens. It was usually stated that LED LCD displays reflect sun rays so they are pretty unusable during sunny days or when another strong light source is in front of the screen. They just reflect that light into your eyes and you can't really see much what is displayed.

Their main advantage, however, is the fact that they display more colors and do it better than just regular LCD screens.

I have eventually chosen a laptop with a LED LCD screen and I can confirm both of those informations. Colors are vivid and more lively even than my LCD monitor which I use with a PC. On the other side, working outside during the day is impossible or at least eye-aching Smile