FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Looking for a portable mp3 palyer.

Phil
Here's the deal. I'm a helicopter mechanic. The aircraft I work on are out on flightlines, sometimes a few hundreds yards away. I have a wagon I pull with my toolbox on it.
What I'm looking for is reccomendations for a portable MP3 player that I can keep in my toolbox while I'm working.
It needs to be somewhat durable, small enough to where it doesn't get in the way, but enough volume to hear it. It needs lot's of memory as sometime's I'm out for 3 or more hours and preferably a recharganble battery.
Oh, the price range is $100- $150.
One player I saw that I like is the Phillips Shoqbox but was wondering what else is available.
Thanks.
phileplanet
Phil wrote:
Here's the deal. I'm a helicopter mechanic. The aircraft I work on are out on flightlines, sometimes a few hundreds yards away. I have a wagon I pull with my toolbox on it.
What I'm looking for is reccomendations for a portable MP3 player that I can keep in my toolbox while I'm working.
It needs to be somewhat durable, small enough to where it doesn't get in the way, but enough volume to hear it. It needs lot's of memory as sometime's I'm out for 3 or more hours and preferably a recharganble battery.
Oh, the price range is $100- $150.
One player I saw that I like is the Phillips Shoqbox but was wondering what else is available.
Thanks.

Don't get an Ipod (If that helps).
lockwolf
phileplanet wrote:
Don't get an Ipod (If that helps).

He could get an Ipod Shuffle if he wanted to.

If you wanted to spend $170 you can get a Creative Zen with 5gb space for music on it. Otherwise, thats as much as im going
TheSun
the latest releasr from Apple iPod Nano.. it is available in 2gb and 4gb version
Phil
I've heard that with Ipod's, you need to convert to Apple's format.
Is that true??
Kd527
I'd say iPod shuffle, or if you want to extend your price range $50 more do an iPod nano.

IPods can play MP3s fine without converting.
Phil
The Rio Carbon's have caught my eye. How are they quality wise??
snowboardalliance
I've had a bad experience with my first mp3 player and it was a Rio. But maybe it was just a defective one.
Phil
The only problem I'm facing with a player is the fact I'm trying to keep the player and accessories small and to a minimum. I already have enough junk in my toolbox without adding more.
That's why the Phillips Shoqbox appealled to me at first. It's very small. The 256 mb of space is the only drawback.
dustout
get an iriver. They make some awesome cheap stuff.
lambda
I have an ipod and it is superb
donj
Quote:
get an iriver. They make some awesome cheap stuff.
And it is good quality!

Perhaps the Iriver T30, it is $150 with 1GB and $100 with 512 MB.

Look on www.iriveramerica.com/prod/ultra/T30/
Phil
Tell Me,
With all these IRivers, IPods, Iballs, Rios------
I will obviously need some speakers. What are some (inexpensive) speakers I can get?
Keep in mind I'm out on a flightline hauling my toolbox on a large flat wagon.
I'll need batteries or some other power source.
tonebone0011
You can't go wrong with an ipod but i like customizable equalizers but they don't have those.
Goatmonkey
Get an iPod shuffle it is small good battery life an is rechargable. Most exspensive is 130.00 and it is really small.
Phil
Well, since this topic has resurfaced-----------
I'll go ahead and say that my wife got me the Phillips Shoqbox for about $129, with 512 memory, for Christmas.
Unfortuantatly, I had to send it back for warranty work. What a bummer. I'm still waiting for it to be returned as I type.
From what I saw of it, it really looked cool. I think it will be just fine for what I want.
And, if I do get one of those MP3 players with gigs of memory, I can use the Shoqbox as an external speaker.
It should be back any day now.
I hope.
cjtreid
I have an iRiver H10, and it's ACE!

You can get them for 150.
TheFaction
personally i dont like the ipod...ur confined to mp3s and apple formats in some cases need to convert with itunes. and the fact that ur restricted to itunes for loading music is another killer. ill be honest i was looking at the zen micro and ipod mini back when i was looking for a new mp3 player(was before the nano was out). and between price (zen micro was like 50 bux cheaper for an extra gig of space) as well as the use for wmas (i have a lot of) and i like the simple to use drag and drop system. also all everyone thinks about is the ipod...and its purely b/c of the amt of money they dedicate to advertising. if other companies used as much money for advertising their mp3 players i would imagine the mp3 battle would be as close as it should be.
Phil
Well since this thread keep popping up I'll go ahead and say that I broke down and got the Philips Shoqbox PSS120/37. It does have it's pluses and minuses.
When I got it.... Christmas Eve, I tried to install the firmware and music. No success. After about 45 minutes with tech support They said I had to send it in for repair. 3 weeks later I got a it back with a note saying they could find no problems.
Tried again to install the music with no success. About 4 days later after several calls to tech support, numerous removal and reinstalls of the latest and greatest I still could not install the music. In despertion I installed everything on my wife's computer.... and it worked. Apparently something isn't right with my USB ports on my computer. oh well, I got it to work.
When it's working, I love it. Perfect for what I want. I can work on the helicopters with nothing stuck in my ear. Sounds good. It only has enough memory for about 100 songs, but I can use a line-in and attach it to an Ipod or other device and use it as external speakers.
One problem is it seems to freeze up alot and I have to use a little reset button on the back to get it to work. Is this normal for MP3 players?
Reyntjensw
you can buy a creative mp3 player! they are really good.
it's my second now and the batterie is really very good (lasts 15 houres)
you can look for a model on http://www.creative.com

grtz