FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

WoW No Longer Compatible with Windows 2000

faten
In preparation for the upcoming release of Mists of Pandaria, updates to World of Warcraft will no longer support Microsoft Windows 2000. Microsoft ceased support for this version of their operating system in 2010. Players still using Windows 2000 are encouraged to upgrade prior to the release of Mists of Pandaria.
Navigator
I am surprised they even think about Win2k as a viable platform, I wonder how many frihosters actually use that to this day.
ocalhoun
Navigator wrote:
I am surprised they even think about Win2k as a viable platform, I wonder how many frihosters actually use that to this day.

It's stable, full-featured, and runs (relatively) light on resources.
(And still supported by most software.)

If you're not a gamer, why not?

(Sure, it's not getting windows updates anymore... but I disable that on all my computers anyway. The updates usually break more than they fix, and they use up system resources and bandwidth in the meantime. And security updates? Naw, I don't trust windows with that in the first place; they all get a full suite of 3rd party security software.)
tpolis
I have never used something older than Windows XP. I think WOW Mists of Pandaria should not be delayed anymore. Blizzard should try to make it compatible with older versions of Windows.
coolclay
Isn't WOW an online game though? Shouldn't it just depend on what browser your using?
Ghost Rider103
coolclay wrote:
Isn't WOW an online game though? Shouldn't it just depend on what browser your using?

It's not a browser based game. You actually have to download it and run it on your computer.

Here I am answering questions I am not qualified to answer. I will leave the rest of this WoW business to the experts! Razz
foumy6
Well really with the last update they basically cut off support for anything past xp (THough most are saying that they are having trouble on xp now). They called this their opptimization update.(sorry for spelling error on IE and not firefox >.<) Personally I play WoW on a dell XPS with and insane graphics card and all that is running on xp and I don't seem to have any problems. Again this computer was made for gaming XD
Ankhanu
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
coolclay wrote:

It's not a browser based game. You actually have to download it and run it on your computer.

Here I am answering questions I am not qualified to answer. I will leave the rest of this WoW business to the experts! Razz

You're right Smile
The game runs on its own client with user-side content to support the server oriented components. The client connects to the servers and allows you to play/interact with the rest of the game; but some of the game components are on your system to reduce the bandwidth and speed requirements to play. If everything streamed it would not support the user base, nor game quality it does.
coolclay
That makes sense. I got out of gaming years ago. The last time I played any sort of networked game you hosted the game on your own PC and other people just joined in. Unreal Tournament was/is such a great game!
aitm
I am so sad Sad
alvarorojas4
I think that doesn't affect to a ot people...
If supports xp it's ok Razz