FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What type of computer do you use?

faten
nd I mean which do you use the most? What do you spend the most time on.

EDIT: Damn it, I was going to add a poll to this but accidently started the thread before clicking on the poll option.

So basically what to do you use as in Mac, Macbook, PC desktop, PC laptop, other etc

For me it's a PC laptop most of the time. Although I would like to get a macbook in the future.
Navigator
PC at home and Laptop for work, they serve different purposes of course and desktop being more powerful if you use some cpu intensive apps.
hunnyhiteshseth
I would say it is a 50-50 between PC desktop and PC Laptop.
aydinal
For small games an android tablet is the best. I work on a pc at home, play on an android tablet, use a notebook at work. Also my iphone is like a computer too.
standready
For me it is a 70/30 split between a PC desktop and laptop.
soljarag
During the week I mostly use a PC desktop..... on the weekends I usually use a PC laptop
deanhills
I've got desktops at work and at home. I also have a Netbook for travel, however have not used it that much. I still prefer to visit Internet Cafe's when I'm traveling. Much more interesting.
Ankhanu
I've primarily been a laptop user since about 2004. Before that it was almost all desktops, with laptop use from ~1999-2002. These were all Windows based systems, for the most part, but I switched to Mac in 2007 when I got a Macbook, and now have a Macbook Pro.
spinout
We mostly got PCs here - only cool people have Mac...

i got a windows 7 machine, basic stuff... midi tower...

if I had the money id go for a new mac but... as i said only the cool daddy-o's got macs here
AlexJ
I have a Dell laptop..... Dell- D610 1.7
Ankhanu
spinout wrote:
if I had the money id go for a new mac but... as i said only the cool daddy-o's got macs here

Or people who are a little patient and save for a little longer to make the purchase Razz Has nothing to do with "cool".
davidv
On occasions where I want to play games, a Windows desktop machine. There is definitely no substitute. Otherwise, most of my time is spent on my MacBook Pro which, I love all the more.
Blaster
Macbook pro and ipad 2 are the things I use most. I do use windows computer here and there but not too often anymore.
cybersa
I'm using PC Desktop and PC Netbook.
Mostly i use Desktop when i reached home form college.
In College i use Netbook.

Then in between them i use My Android Device HTC Desire Smile
foumy6
I use a dell inspiron 1545 laptop
I HATE IT
though personally I am just not a fan of dell at all my mom bought it for me, but I guess beggars can be choosers.

What I really dont like is the integrated videos card so I have no chance for an upgrade (I cant even run skyrim on it Sad

Other than that there are just so many things that I don;t like about it most of that coming from dell, but again oh well.
lovescience
PC and Mac desktop in school. PC laptop and desktop after school.
Ankhanu
foumy6 wrote:
I use a dell inspiron 1545 laptop
I HATE IT
though personally I am just not a fan of dell at all my mom bought it for me, but I guess beggars can be choosers.

What I really dont like is the integrated videos card so I have no chance for an upgrade (I cant even run skyrim on it Sad

Other than that there are just so many things that I don;t like about it most of that coming from dell, but again oh well.

When you get a branded system, first thing you need to do is clear out the brand proprietary software. You'll have a much happier experience Razz That's what I did when I got my Dell, back in the day, and my experience was pretty smooth; no extra bibbity bobs gumming up the system and eating resources.
nigam
laptop all the time....
tpolis
Hmm, I can say a lot on this topic. I have 3 computers. The first one I used was an ordinary PC. But I needed more power so I bought a laptop. But I damaged it by accident by incorrectly flashing of the BIOS. None of the people I know was able to repair it, so I bought my third computer-laptop, which I am writing from now. Hope my laptop will be live forever. Very Happy
kta_fh
I use the most my work laptop which is an HP Compaq 6910P with 3
GB RAM and Windows XP.

In this laptop I sometimes run CentOS 6 within the installed Oracle Virtualbox. For that VM I have allocated 1GB of RAM and a 20GB preallocated virtual disk from my logical NTFS drive D:.
sonam
nigam wrote:
laptop all the time....

Me too. I got new one few month ago and I don't want to go back on desktop.

Sonam
kitsrock
I use PC laptop right now, but back home I have a PC desktop and a Linux Desktop.
chatrack
I use desktop at home and desktop and laptop at work
ankur209
Both desktop and laptop Razz
ankitdatashn
Desktop is a passe though it's still decorated in my home although use it rarely, just use it when my lappy does not work or taking the prints out of my old seriel printer: An HP 6l Lazerjet!! I use windows 7 Basic on my Lappy...
newhorizon
I built my own desktop for home for extreme works and for office and anywhere outside my house, I use a HP laptop.
-Logan
deanhills
I guess my hardware are antiquated by today's standards. The desktop at home is a generic model that was put together from all kinds of different parts by a technician who really knows what he was doing. I still have a very old Samsung SyncMaster 151s 15 inch LCD - dating from 2001. I've been thinking of buying a new 19 inch one, but feel guilty as the one I have is still in great shape. I particularly like it that it is so friendly on my eyes. If I make a change I definitely will go for another Samsung non-reflecting screen.

The system specs for my desktop at home are:
Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 Duo CPU
E 4600 @ 2.40 GHz
2.00 GB of RAM
150 GB Hard Disk
GeForce 7200 Graphics Card - 256 MB

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 2002 Service Pack 3

This computer is almost three years old. At one stage when it slowed down, I had my hard disk completely reformatted three months ago. It speeded things up unbelievably. Think it still has lots of life left in it.

The case is awesome! It looks like a ghost on top with a very convenient handle (the two oval ghost eyes) to carry the case. The technician who was reformatting the hard disk was quite envious of it as they apparently don't make cases with handles for the moment.

I have a brand model Dell at work with the exact same configuration as the generic model I have at home. I did not plan on that. Just sort of happened that way. There has been some cutbacks at work so when they decided to go for Windows 7 were unable to upgrade everyone's hardware. So I opted not to have Windows 7 as I prefer fast to an operating system that requires an upgrade in hardware for speed. That was my judgment at the time anyway as it is quite strange that the hard disk also needed to be reformatted when it showed signs of corrupting almost at the exact time as the one at home. And like my computer at home, it is now working rocket fast after the reformatting. If I'd known how fast it was going to be, possibly I could have chosen Windows 7. Except I may have had issues with new drivers for my old HP printer at work (Laserjet 4 Plus) and at home Laserjet 1000. HP decided to let go of supporting these printers with new drivers for Windows 7. Ditto my Genius Scanner at home!

Have a feeling that one day very soon I may be forced to change to Windows 7. I will then also upgrade my hardware.

My Netbook is a very cheap Samsung one. Here are the specs:
Quote:
Samsung N130-KA03, Atom N270 1.6GHz, XP Home, 10.1" WSVGA, GMA 950 DVMT 128MB ShaRed, 1GB (1x1GB) RAM, 160GB HDD, 802.11BGN WLAN, Webcam, 3in1 Card Reader, 6 Cell Battery, Black.
What made me choose this one specifically was the non-reflecting screen again. Most of the Laptops and Netbooks have reflecting screens that play havoc with my eyes when they catch the lighting of a room. I bought it two years ago when I went on an extended vacation, but in the end was finding much more fun using really great high spec desktops at Internet cafes in Thailand, where they are mostly used for computer games. Was also much more fun. This Netbook must be one of the most underutilized pieces of computer equipment I've owned. I probably should give it away to someone as I'm sure it may become redundant soon as well. It has a home version of Windows XP.

I think my next piece of equipment may be a tablet. And perhaps a Samsung as well. Apple's iPad seems to be more popular here in the UAE however. My boss swears by his Apple iPad and says it has a superior touch screen over that of Samsung. I'm almost certain Samsung will catch up with this if it has not already done that! Any one here who owns a Samsung tablet?

Guess this topic should probably be moved to the hardware forum? Embarassed
Aredon
I use the PC that I built about two years ago probably about 80% of the time, but as I cannot carry it with me to class. I take my HP touchpad with me. Razz

I don't think I would ever pay for a mac product. They're ridiculously overpriced, and if I want mac OS that badly I can just load it on a hackintosh. Smile
phantom_of_com9
i DESTROYED the C++ library!!!
Twisted Evil Laughing
EnterpriseTech
I have a desktop pc at home that stays on all the time.

I have an Asus Transformer (with the dock) that goes everywhere with me. I can use Teamviewer and Splashtop to access my home pc from anywhere I have internet. This is pretty awesome for school. I have powerful programs on my home pc that I can't replace with android apps.

I use a laptop at my parents' store whenever I stay there for extended periods. I use Teamviewer to access my home pc from the laptop too because some programs can only be installed once. Plus, my home desktop is a beast.

We also use a desktop in our living room for tv. We watch Netflix on it and have a tv antenna hooked to it so we can record shows.
spinout
I have a pc... on all the time... 6 gig mem, lousy cpu and IO.
stiflerx
I have a Dell 17" laptop and 8 years old Computer which was assembled. Using Win 7 in laptop and XP in Desktop. Also I bought another mini laptop for my girlfriend cause she loved the Pink color and I liked Dell since very past Razz
nepalstar
I'm using Desktop Computer (Dell Optiplex 360) in office and in home I'm using desktop (old one, Pentium 4) as well Laptop (Lenevo), about the Operating Systems I'm using Windows 7 in all except in my home computer (desktop one).
xcustomtoys
i use desktop all the way! laptop? maybe when i got the budget LOL!
menino
At home I have an old PC (Fujitsu Seimens Scenic L) which is a pentium 4 1.7Ghz with only 256mb rdram, which is very expensive to upgrade, so I use it mainly for downloading stuff that I need and fileshare it, to access the repository; kind of like a file server.
I usually use my work laptop for most of my tasks, which is a dell lattitude D630; and use it at home to surf / read and play a few games now and then.
Josso
A machine that is getting way too old for comfort but surprisingly it runs really nicely and handles things well. It's mainly to do with the case and constant maintenance (virtual and physical).

Have a Athlon 4200+ overclocked to 2.4ghz per core with a Radeon X1900 XT card (the last of an era!). 2GB of ram, 3 internal hard drives and a 2tb external for backup. Got an antec 2 case which I have to clean quite a lot - this allows the air flow to push an extra 600-700mhz out of the cores. The CPU can run as low as 27C when idle, and the card goes down to a 45C mark if proper air flow is maintained.

Generally doesn't handle some new games even on medium anymore but I've been surprised what I can push out of this ancient thing. Still runs nice and smooth on XP pro, I also was dual booting with Ubuntu.
mukesh
This time have 2 desktops duel core desktop and core to duo and new laptop with core i3(but this time not in home Sad ).
deanhills
spinout wrote:
I have a pc... on all the time... 6 gig mem, lousy cpu and IO.
That sounds like a dream PC from RAM point of view. Mine is still of a previous generation duo core 2.4 GHz 2GB RAM, assembled from different parts by a technician. I'm happy with it for now. I'm getting ready for a new computer though, maybe later in the year and I will then probably invest in something that is on the higher end of technology but not the highest. Also generically put together versus a brand name. And maybe a new Samsung SyncMaster LCD. I've had my SyncMaster 151s now since the beginning of time. It's still great, but I'd like to upgrade from 15 inch to maybe 19 or 20. Why I like SyncMaster is that it is non-glare and really kind on the eyes compared with other screens.
Chellesei
My dad bought my CPU maybe in late 2010. But it's not the latest computer that time. I really don't know if some parts of it are modified before we bought it. But my dad increased the RAM from 1GB to 2GB. My computer's specs now are:

Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 Duo CPU E 4600 @ 2.40 GHz
2.00 GB DDR2 RAM
160 GB Hard Drive

I have an external hard drive with about 300GB of capacity. I store my files that I don't usually use there. There's a graphics card included when my dad bought my computer but it broke some time last year, I think. So I've been relying on the integrated graphics on the mother board.

I have an LG FLATRON W1642S 15.6 wide LCD, 3D Optical DELL mouse, and a DELL SK8-115 keyboard.

When I'm away, I use one of our laptops. I use the Neo eXplore X1 Blue Notebook more frequently than the Lenovo 7757 laptop.
The specs of the Neo blue notebook are:

Intel Celeron M Processor 353
512MB DDR2 SODIMM
30 GB Hard Drive
7" LCD

I really want to have a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro. Confused Sometime in the future, I must have one! Very Happy
deanhills
Chellesei wrote:
I really want to have a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro. Confused Sometime in the future, I must have one! Very Happy
It does seem to be the best for most, so probably well worth the investment if you can spare the cash.

I'm curious, what Operating Software are you using with your computer? XP or Windows 7? Smile
Chellesei
deanhills wrote:
Chellesei wrote:
It does seem to be the best for most, so probably well worth the investment if you can spare the cash.

I'm curious, what Operating Software are you using with your computer? XP or Windows 7? Smile

When we bought it, XP was installed in it. I reformatted it and installed Windows 7 last year and I can say it works better with 7. Very Happy
deanhills
Chellesei wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Chellesei wrote:

When we bought it, XP was installed in it. I reformatted it and installed Windows 7 last year and I can say it works better with 7. Very Happy
Good to know. Only reason why I'm hesitating with Windows 7 is that I will have to replace my printer and scanner. HP has decided not to create drivers for HPLaserjet1000 and the Genius Scanner already had driver issues with Windows XP. I know however that Windows 7 has a much greater functionality, so hopefully when Windows XP becomes a limitation for what I need to do, I will upgrade hardware and software all at the same time. Smile
Chellesei
deanhills wrote:
Good to know. Only reason why I'm hesitating with Windows 7 is that I will have to replace my printer and scanner. HP has decided not to create drivers for HPLaserjet1000 and the Genius Scanner already had driver issues with Windows XP.

I see. Smile That's also the reason why my dad doesn't upgrade to Windows 7. Some hardware he owns don't have a support for Windows 7. I have an HP Deskjet D2360 printer and I'm pretty lucky to have no problems with its drivers. I'd like to have a new all-in-one printer since my printer is currently in an unstable state right now. Sad

deanhills wrote:
I will upgrade hardware and software all at the same time. Smile

Same~ There are some things I wanna upgrade.
I want to have at least 4GB of RAM and buy a graphics card. Some software like Adobe After Effects and Premiere run better on a computer with a higher RAM. Another one is my keyboard. haha. It's gotten a bit harder to press and it makes me type slower. Laughing
And when Windows 8 comes this year, I'm gonna give it a try. Smile
chatrack
I am using desktop and laptops at work
kenxeiko
I'm using Laptop.

CLEVO Co. Laptop from Taiwan (i think) Crying or Very sad
1GB RAM. Intel Core 2 Duo. Bad video card. Crying or Very sad

I have send msg to their costumer service, even i can't change my video card with a new one. Sad
abramlinkens
I use the Personal Computer at the house. For working in the Company I bring my laptop with me to complete the work. Inside the home I only use Personal Computer. I access the team-viewer for accessing any file with my home PC or another Friends.