FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Online Confession Chair

johanfh
For God had such love for the world that he gave his only Son, so that whoever has faith in him may not come to destruction but have eternal life. (John 3:16)

I have chosen this text to open this topic, because it’s one of the most central texts from the Bible. In this topic I will try to regularly post a short sentence from the Bible for you to chew on it in your mind, combined with a short note about why I choose it.

Feel free to react, ask questions, post confessions, or correct me. I cannot promise to answer to everything, because I’m very busy at the moment with my study and because I use a telephone line to dial in and don’t have that much money Wink , but maybe there are other people who like to join the Confession Chair and listen to your confessions or questions. And hey, it's an idea, do you like the idea of an Online Confession Chair?

About John 3:16:
A lot of people love their children and their wife. But loving the world is a difficult thing to do: there is so much hatred in the world, so much anger. Who would care for a bank robber? Who would forgive a murderer? God gave his only Son to make the world a better one without dead, without pain, without anxiety. He has beaten death, although death does still exist at the moment.
Question: do you believe there is a loving God? And if not, would you like to believe so? What do you have to loose?
gonzo
johanfh wrote:
But loving the world is a difficult thing to do

Doing what is best for another is often a great challenge of selflessness, but is entirely possible. Love, as evidenced by Jesus' behavior, is not synonymous with tolerance. Love is an act of will and not an emotion. It requires effort and sacrafice.

Quote:
God gave his only Son

.. that we might have life. His death is an infinite atonement, the only worthy sacrafice, for the offence of an infinite God. He reedemed the potential of our salvation. "We must work out our salvation in fear and trembling"

Philippians 2:12-18 wrote:
Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose

Simply accepting the truth of Christ is not a guarantee of salvation upon death.

I like to point this out to the various door-to-door missionaries when they ask "Are you saved?"

I always reply "certainly not"

which always yields a quizzical expression

I then follow with either "... because I'm not dead yet" or "I'm still avlie".

Salvation has many prerequisites but the most sure of those is death.

Very Happy
johanfh
Ah Gonzo,

Thanks for your reply. I think you're right when you say that love requires effort and sacrifice.
There are two sides on it: the one site is 'our site' here on earth: you have to follow Jesus, you have to show in your life that you follow Him.

But there's a special other site: Jesus came to earth, God did save the earth. He has saved you if you want to accept Him. I know I will be saved when I die, not yet right now. And I know there are a lot of people who indeed say "Are you saved? Yes? Great!". Thats to simple. You have to cling to Jesus until you die. You can't sit back.

But the special thing is, that you're not saved because you work so hard for Him, but you work for Him because you love Him for saving you. So that's the other way around.

But it's a difficult discussion to do right here. I started this topic not for theological discussion ( Wink what I like, because I study theology) but I started it for people who like to 'virtually sit in the chair' and to think about God and about their life.
Therefore my question to you (and others) stands: do you believe there is a God who loves you? And do you have a personal relation with Him?

Greetings for now,
JohanFH