FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

ACTA SOPA PIPA are good for Linux

splintercdo
Hey guys, I am from Latvia and our foreign minister yesterday signed ACTA in Japan. There are people protesting all over Europe!
I know spying on people is bad, but it seems that it will be increasingly harder to escape from that in the future!

But all of these things might have good vibe and influence on Linux and Open Source in general.
More and more people will start to use an open source alternatives to commercial software including OS and open source choice number one of which is Linux!

What do you, guys, think about this?
Fire Boar
I dunno, it'd be neutral at best. If the Internet breaks because of these acts, open source will suffer since the Internet is the primary distribution platform. Not to mention, think of the number of times open source software has come under fire from bogus copyright claims. Now imagine if the claimant were able to immediately shut down their website with no grounds for appeal - say, Microsoft shutting down kernel.org because of some bogus copyright thing. That wouldn't be good at all, and would be entirely possible under SOPA (which is fortunately dead). I don't know the details of ACTA, but hopefully it's not as bad if it's already being signed.
Ankhanu
Yep, Fire Boar's likely on the money here.
These sorts of acts/laws give far too much control where it does not belong. Abuse for profit is an inevitability; they're not good for most producers, nor consumers, benefiting a small handful of copyright holders.
I understand where you're coming from with the open source angle, but I think you're missing the overall picture and effect of these things. They're MUCH broader and stronger than they need to be, and ultimately, will NOT counter the problem they're supposed to.
weableandbob
It may not damage Open Source, but it's detrimental to a huge number of other things. It gives too much power to people who will simply abuse it, hurting most people who use the internet (think about how something as popular as Youtube gets affected by this). And to Fire Boar: I don't think SOPA/PIPA are dead yet, simply shelved until they get revised.
Navigator
Its like getting to a hospital for a major surgery and thinking that at least the doctor will give you a popsicle on your way out. This thing is bad and it will change things forever!
splintercdo
What's so bad about it? All of my software is licensed including OS! I don't use torrent or other file sharing services to download copyrighted materials(movies, music etc.) People loved to learn and shared information before internet too! And it's not like they are shutting down internet! Everywhere on the streets we have security cameras and we don't even notice them, what's so bad? Confused
Ankhanu
splintercdo wrote:
What's so bad about it? All of my software is licensed including OS! I don't use torrent or other file sharing services to download copyrighted materials(movies, music etc.) People loved to learn and shared information before internet too! And it's not like they are shutting down internet! Everywhere on the streets we have security cameras and we don't even notice them, what's so bad? Confused

Do your streets get roadblocked without reason? Are you denied access to your apartment building based on the suspicion (without evidence) that someone might have stolen something?
splintercdo
Quote:
Do your streets get roadblocked without reason? Are you denied access to your apartment building based on the suspicion (without evidence) that someone might have stolen something?

No!

But I don't go in any store and don't steal whatever I like without consequences too! Wink
In a perfect world you would be correct and I wrong! But let's be honest in internet everybody have stolen something! There are people who doesn't even know they are stealing or don't want to admit it(because stealing in digital world is so easy, and people aren't educated, they loose perception what's right and what's wrong) but as we know the thing that we don't know law does not free us from responsibilities!

Truth is somewhere in the middle. And first thing what's should be done is people should be taught about their responsibilities and rights!

In this case you would see that most of them wouldn't want to learn, but of course stealing would be OK, and 14 year old brats would continue to show tutorials in youtube how to crack software that has worth of tens of thousands of hours of human work and sweat and boast about that! I hate as****es like these and if part of them would finally got punished, I would be OK with that!

But as I said I don't know perfect solution and am no angel! Twisted Evil
Ankhanu
Digital piracy has no real good real-world analog, unfortunately; every metaphor is going to be flawed. In many cases of piracy, yes, people are getting a product they didn't pay for that took someone a lot of effort to produce... but it's not like real-world stealing; the producer/distributer still have the product to sell, all losses are conceptual. In the real world, theft means that the item is gone without replacement... not so in piracy; it's a very different system.

Really, in most cases, there is no real loss from piracy, as often the person pirating the data would never have paid for it in the first place. Any media I have pirated, for example, I would never have put money on; and if I would, I have. The ability to pirate data has not changed my purchasing practices. This doesn't apply in all cases, and there are SOME sales losses, but the losses are no where close to the number of pirated copies out there.
Let's take software like Photoshop as an example. There are thousands of people using pirated copies of Photoshop. The software costs $700 to buy, so, in theory Adobe is losing $700 for every pirated copy, right? No, not at all. Very few of those using a pirated copy would have ever bought it in the first place; the losses are likely in the low tens of thousands,which is still significant, but not as high as tends to be calculated.

Now, the acts that are proposed, SOPA, PIPA, ACTA, etc., are "intended" to reduce piracy and enforce copyright laws... all fine and dandy on the surface, but as they are written, their actual spirit is NOT benign. They offer too much control over a global service to a handful of individuals who only care for their profit margins. The control that they offer allows them to alter how the internet operates for the average user... but really, completely fails to address piracy in any realistic way. Even if they pass, piracy will not be significantly affected... it can't be. All it means is that pirates will have to use less obvious means of sharing their data, and rely more upon actual IP addresses rather than DNS addresses. No big deal, it's the way piracy operated in the past anyway.

It would be a slightly different story if the acts might actually stand SOME chance of being effective in their intended use, but, they won't. The only real result would be a less safe, less open internet... which is an utterly bad result.
splintercdo
And you know what? I agree with you Wink
ocalhoun
Yep... the new anti-piracy laws would be good for linux in the same way that outlawing the internal combustion engine would be good for the horse industry.

ie, on the surface, it looks like it might, but it would demolish the infrastructure behind that industry.