FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why is laughter the best medicine?

deanhills
All of us have been told that laughter is the best medicine. But why is it the best medicine? I've picked up on a few reasons, do you have any to add? Smile

Quote:
1. Laughter relaxes the whole body. A good, hearty laugh relieves physical tension and stress, leaving your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes after.

2. Laughter boosts the immune system. Laughter decreases stress hormones and increases immune cells and infection-fighting antibodies, thus improving your resistance to disease.

3. Laughter triggers the release of endorphins, the body’s natural feel-good chemicals. Endorphins promote an overall sense of well-being and can even temporarily relieve pain.

4. Laughter protects the heart. Laughter improves the function of blood vessels and increases blood flow, which can help protect you against a heart attack and other cardiovascular problems.

Source: http://www.helpguide.org/life/humor_laughter_health.htm
c'tair
I'm thinking about your second point, about laughter boosting our immune systems. I'm just curious how it works from an evolutionary biology point of view?

I'd say that laughter is also a sign of a healthy mind and healthy mind is a healthy body in my books.
loremar
I hear that laughter burns a lot of calories.

Laughter is a healthy exercise regimen maybe?
tidruG
loremar wrote:

It is, actually:

http://www.laughtertherapy.com/

Take a look:

loremar
tidruG wrote:
loremar wrote:

It is, actually:

http://www.laughtertherapy.com/

Take a look:

They don't look very healthy... mentally. Razz
mshafiq
I also agree on this that laughing is good medicine

Laughing improves the health in different way.
Laughinh improves social life.you have more friends, and if you have good scense of humour then you are good team player.
it releades pain and depression and also it lower blood pressure.
it helps in weight loos.when we laugh it speed up the metabolism and protect the heart too
it is good medicine for heart
miteY
Here's a little I found about the importance of laughing

Laughing is important in business!

Why?

Because it makes things small and personal -- and thereby helps to dispel Big Company Disease.

Big companies take themselves seriously. Laughter punctures the balloon and drenches things in the light of sanity.

For organizations big & small, I'd say "embrace your inner smallness".

I give a talk called "Everything I Learned I Learned in a Greek Restaurant"

People seem to like it.

Greek restaurants are the epitome of small, fast and funny.

Small and fast always beats big and slow.

That's it.

Source: http://leanpathways.blogspot.com/2011/03/why-is-laughter-important-in-business.html

Laughter is important for children . . .

Some days, communication between parents and children goes like this:

“Wash your hands!” “Did you find the other shoe?” “I need the permission slip signed today!” “Don’t yell at your sister!” “Where’s my homework?” “I signed that permission slip yesterday!” “Did you check under the table?” “Are you really going out looking like that?” “Can you drive me and Madison to the mall now?” “If you want to cry, I’ll give you something to cry about!” “He started it!” “I SAID DON’T YELL AT YOUR SISTER!” and the winner: “If all your friends jumped off a cliff, would you jump too?”

Life is busy, and instructional conversation makes up the majority of parent/child communication on an average day.

Here are some reasons to slow down, take a few deep breaths, and add some playful conversation — liberally sprinkled with laughter — to your communication:

* Laughter releases endorphins, the ‘feel good’ hormones that boost your mood. Everyone is happier when the people around them are happier!
* Laughing with your children creates special memories. When they are all grown up, the happy times will be recalled with great ease, due to laughter’s imprint on the brain!
* Laughter releases tension. No explanation necessary — we all have pent up stress to release!
* Laughter facilitates an atmosphere of trust. The effects of laughter last far longer than the actual minutes spent having fun together; the positive interaction increases the trust people feel in one another.

Studies demonstrate that the average child laughs over 300 times per day, while the average adult laughs only 15 times daily!

Let’s commit to increasing the laughter in our interaction with our children.

Yesterday, as I prepared this article, I decided to search youtube for funny clips for us to watch together. This baby, who has already been featured on the Today Show, had us in stitches! What do you do to add laughter to your family?

Source: http://www.raisingsmallsouls.com/why-is-laughter-important-for-children/
nancan
I'd say that laughter is also a sign of a healthy mind and healthy mind is a healthy body in my books.
chatrack
Hi,

Laughter make you feel free and fresh

Laughter can release stress while doing a tough job.
bukaida
Tension and stress is the mother of all chronic diseases. laughter is very helpful in releasing them. It also benefits the heart by regulating the breathing. We have one laughing club in almost every park.
FunDa
nancan wrote:

Patients, doctors and health-care professionals are all finding that laughter may indeed be the best medicine.

Laughing is found to lower blood pressure, reduce stress hormones, increase muscle flexion, and boost immune function by raising levels of infection-fighting T-cells, disease-fighting proteins called Gamma-interferon and B-cells, which produce disease-destroying antibodies. Laughter also triggers the release of endorphins, the body's natural painkillers, and produces a general sense of well-being.
Sidneysmith
Laughing is the best exercises . there are so many benefits of laughing like you can reduce the weight, increase the concentration power, it is so good to reduce the stress so laughing is good for the health.
menino
I also think laughter is good for you.
It can lift up your spirits when your feeling down and gloomy. I guess when your stressed and sad, you are more prone to get sick.
That laughter video, which tidrug posted, got me also to laugh a bit. thanks.
Laughter is contagious, though, isn't it?
abhizz
It is the best exercise, when we laugh our 60+ muscles will works together
mengshi200
I don't agree this popular appoint.Peace motion is best medicine.Not over laughter ,that easy to trigger heart disease.