FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


SOPA spreading like a virus...





chrmina
It seems SOPA like legislation is being pushed in several countries, Ireland being the latest (see http://stopsopaireland.com/). We should stop this "disease" from spreading. Any suggestions on what we can do to stop this from happening to other countries? Educate politicians about the improtance of innovation and free internet is one way, IMHO.
deanhills
chrmina wrote:
It seems SOPA like legislation is being pushed in several countries, Ireland being the latest (see http://stopsopaireland.com/). We should stop this "disease" from spreading. Any suggestions on what we can do to stop this from happening to other countries? Educate politicians about the improtance of innovation and free internet is one way, IMHO.
There are a number of Websites available to do it with where people seem to be concentrating their efforts in the United States, but you're right of course. One should be tackling the politicians in the other countries too.

PS: GREAT photo in your Website. Wow! Which country is it in if I may ask? Very Happy
chrmina
deanhills wrote:
PS: GREAT photo in your Website. Wow! Which country is it in if I may ask? Very Happy


Thank you! The photo is from Kyoto, Japan.
donoob88
i heard somebody use a flooding software to flood someones website to over load their systems, they flood the governments site.. i don't advice it, just sharing the story.. Confused Confused
ocalhoun
donoob88 wrote:
i heard somebody use a flooding software to flood someones website to over load their systems, they flood the governments site.. i don't advice it, just sharing the story.. Confused Confused

Who needs a flooding service?

I tell you, the best way to stop such a thing, if it comes into practice, is for ordinary people to overload the system: report everything as a copyright violation, true, false, doesn't matter, report it all!
When the agency in charge is bogged down with millions of false reports, they'll have no time to act on the real ones, and the legislation will be made ineffective.
Cosmoslayer
Glad Anonymous here to save us again! Blackout March! XD
Radar
I don't think it can be stopped, or at least, not easily. For the most part, people trying to push SOPA etc. think they're doing the right thing. They think they're helping/protecting. Not saying that that works, I'm just saying that that's what some of them think it's about. It's just that most users of the Internet are balking at the idea of censorship.

The only hope is that people will see the volume of people against it for what they are.
Hexes
Cosmoslayer wrote:
Glad Anonymous here to save us again! Blackout March! XD


I don't think this is the right way to act. It is spectacular but all in all completely useless. This way we are giving them another pretext to force this law. In my opinion we should only use legal ways (like demonstrations, reasonable articles etc.)
ocalhoun
Hexes wrote:
This way we are giving them another pretext to force this law.

To quote V,
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Hexes wrote:
This way we are giving them another pretext to force this law.

To quote V,
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
Depends where you are. Easy to say if you're in the United States. Not so easy when you're in a dictatorial country where you'd likely be locked up and the key thrown away without a blink of the eye.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Hexes wrote:
This way we are giving them another pretext to force this law.

To quote V,
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
Depends where you are. Easy to say if you're in the United States. Not so easy when you're in a dictatorial country where you'd likely be locked up and the key thrown away without a blink of the eye.

It just says that it should be that way... not that it is that way.
Countries where you get locked up arbitrarily are generally not that way.
Hello_World
Quote:
In my opinion we should only use legal ways (like demonstrations, reasonable articles etc.)


If a law is wrong, you have a duty to break it.
loyal
ocalhoun wrote:
I tell you, the best way to stop such a thing, if it comes into practice, is for ordinary people to overload the system: report everything as a copyright violation, true, false, doesn't matter, report it all!
When the agency in charge is bogged down with millions of false reports, they'll have no time to act on the real ones, and the legislation will be made ineffective.


It depends on the way the reporting is done and the immediate effects of reporting. If it's a long, very official process then people who try what you've suggested could be fined or something, and that would partially prevent it.
Radar
ocalhoun wrote:
Hexes wrote:
This way we are giving them another pretext to force this law.

To quote V,
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.


Agreed. The law should be there to protect people, not persecute them. Positive influence, rather than negative.
busaboss
The Internet should not be filtered like that. Our generation depends on it to much and there is no other easy way to get free information. The Internet should be a place to share and not be banned because of those intervening people who does not know the relevance of what they will do to the web.
Radar
I like that point. It's assumed by all, but not stated in this discussion to my knowledge, that the Internet is one of the most valuable communication tools that we have. If you want to start changing the way people are allowed to interact with it, tread carefully.
AlexandruEvans
loyal wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
I tell you, the best way to stop such a thing, if it comes into practice, is for ordinary people to overload the system: report everything as a copyright violation, true, false, doesn't matter, report it all!
When the agency in charge is bogged down with millions of false reports, they'll have no time to act on the real ones, and the legislation will be made ineffective.


It depends on the way the reporting is done and the immediate effects of reporting. If it's a long, very official process then people who try what you've suggested could be fined or something, and that would partially prevent it.

I HATE SOPA !
weblinuxtime
In my option, the best way to stop sopa is not throught the goverment. We need to get big internet companies to go against it, like what wikipedia did. They would influence more than any single goverment could.
ocalhoun
weblinuxtime wrote:
In my option, the best way to stop sopa is not throught the goverment. We need to get big internet companies to go against it, like what wikipedia did. They would influence more than any single goverment could.

It's a very poor reflection on governments that this is true.

Nationally and internationally, businesses are the ones with the power.
Related topics
Anti Virus
How Spyware Works!!!
internet explorer
Virus says - Pay me or else ....
can a virus cause unrecoverable damage to HD?
Michael Jackson 'Suicide' virus spreads
What to do when you get a virus
HOW TO ENSURE THAT VIRUS DOES NOT SPREAD THRU YOUR ADDRESSBk
Avoid automatically sending Virus from Your Mail ID
Razorback Servers Seized
Clean ur flash drive from common virus....
Free 100% .com, .org, .net domain
What technology or idea gives you hope for the future?
Are Linux OS necessarily free from virus?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Politics

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.