FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Settings for Increasing Computer Speed !

shopperpk
Hi friends. I want to know about how we can increase our computer working speed or you can say performance. I am using Windows Xp with 1GB ram and my system is Dell GX270.

Any suggestions would be appriciated.
badai
no setting required. just add RAM. 1GB certainly is not enough for XP now, especially SP3.

GX270 has 2 types of mobo, mini ATX (with 2 RAM slot) and ATX (with 4 RAM slot)

RAM type is 333Mhz and 400MHz DDR SDRAM

if your mobo is mini ATX, get 2 pieces of 1GB SDRAM
if your mobo is ATX, get 4 pieces of 1GB SDRAM

your mobo will not support 2GB piece of RAM, so get a 1GB piece.

since this is very old RAM, it's very hard to get it new in shop, so look in used computer shop, or online.

why you have links in your signature? isn't that against forum rules?
Ankhanu
Reduce the pretty effects and such, prevent extraneous programs running in the background and it'll free up system resources, speeding up the system.

Unlike Badai's suggestion, this requires no purchases at all; while changing RAM is dead easy, so is changing the system behaviour. Even with more RAM, you'll still get better performance by streamlining the system
menino
There are many settings you can select, without having to upgrade memory, although memory will enhance the performance of xp.

There is a software called xplite, which you have to buy to use, called xplite, which will remove programs from the core OS, that you will not use (based on what you select), and this will speed up xp a bit.

Also in the services (start, run, services.msc), you can disable services like (computer browser, cryptographic services, Wireless Zero Configuration Service, Netbios over TCP/IP helper, messenger, etc) which will also speed up the system.
Wireless Zero configuration service should not be removed, if you use wifi.

Also, if you right-click on my computer and go to system properties, in the advanced system settings, there is a performance option, which you can choose to disable items that you do not need, such as animations. You can disable all, and slowly enable the ones that you do need.