FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Plug something in the telephone plug

pll
Hello,
I was wondering if it was possible to make an elctronic gadget that would control some stuff in the house (example opening and closing the lights, the TV, the ALARM) by plugging it in the phone plug only ?

Is it possible to do it without any recepter on the switches ON/OFF of the house ?
Ankhanu
No.
There needs to be an interface, else, the signals won't... well... interface. Fun with words that have both noun and verb usage!
ocalhoun
pll wrote:
Hello,
I was wondering if it was possible to make an elctronic gadget that would control some stuff in the house (example opening and closing the lights, the TV, the ALARM) by plugging it in the phone plug only ?

Yes, there are two main approaches you could use for this:

Software based: Portable computer --> software generates commands --> send those commands through a phone line modem, dialed to your house --> computer at your house recieves the call on it's modem --> commands recived by software and translated into commands for --> relay board takes the low voltage control signals from the computer and uses those to turn on/off high-power switches for lights and the like. (And then, optionally, the home computer wills end back a message saying if the command was successful or not.)

Hardware based: Little black box electronic gadget produces command signals, translates them into telephone-compatible signals, and transmits them on the pone line to your house --> Similar gadget receives the commands, translates them to signals for --> relay board translates low voltage control signals into high-voltage switching for lights and such.
Quote:

Is it possible to do it without any recepter on the switches ON/OFF of the house ?

No.
Obviously, the switches in your house will need to be modified in some way to receive and respond to the remote signals, because as they are now, they're designed to only receive and respond to direct physical inputs.
In the examples above, this modification is achieved by putting relays in line with the switches, and connecting those relays to a control module (be that a specially designed hardware gadget, or a control board on a computer with specially designed software).
pll
Thank you very much for your help!!
It's a big project that we'll be making in school. And I've learned that it will work with a relay that we will put in the other systems of the house (the TV for example)

So when I send a signal to the phone, the relay goes on and off, the TV closes and opens. The same for the sound system or the digital photo frame!

And no, it will not be used with a computer, it's just a little electrical trick!

I'll get you up to date as the project comes to live! (if it does interest you)