FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ocalhoun's Everfree Forest

deanhills
Imagine you must have completed the great migration to the West. Have you started College, is Jay settled in, and are you learning horse breeding yet? Smile
wombatrpgs
Is this a Brony joke?
deanhills
Not really. Ocalhoun shared with us his College plans in one of his famous threads (he has quite a few). First he listed some Colleges he was considering. Then he researched those and we had a nice discussion about the pros and cons. And then finally he came to his selection. All of that over a period of a year. According to his last post a few months ago he managed to get a place to stay on a farm where there is space for his horse Jay (and maybe another one) and opportunities for part-time work and learning about horse breeding. .... and a nice College nearby. Very Happy

Here's a link to the thread if you would like to check it out:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-122879.html

PS: The pony in my post was an emote image taken from Ocalhouns emoticon package that I had downloaded. It's called "Ponder".
standready
deanhills wrote:
learning about horse breeding. ....

What is there to learn about horse breeding - place a mommy horse and daddy horse into a stall together and let nature take over. If nature works, after a little while, a little pony appears. laugh
ocalhoun

*roll*
You know... if you're trying to ask a specific person a question, we have a neat PM feature...

But, I guess I'll take this as a way of saying OMG, ocalhoun, why didn't you make a thread about this already!?!

wobatrpgs wrote:

Is this a Brony joke?

Kinda. After moving, somebody mentioned to me that I should update my location, so I changed it to 'Everfree Forest'. I'm guessing Deanhills noticed that.

standready wrote:

What is there to learn about horse breeding - place a mommy horse and daddy horse into a stall together and let nature take over. If nature works, after a little while, a little pony appears. laugh

Oh, it gets a bit more complex than that... Which two do you put together, and when? How to you keep them from killing each other if the mommy horse doesn't like the daddy horse? How do you make it more likely to work? How do you prevent it from happening when you don't want it to (that can be the hardest part sometimes... They can destroy fences quite nicely.) And THEN... what do you do with the baby horse when it arrives?... and what do you do if it's having difficulty with the whole 'arriving' part?

But, no, I'm not here to learn about horse breeding... I'm here to learn about horse training... Which is something a breeding ranch does quite a lot -- lots of new foals who need to learn a lot before they can be sold. (And lots of older horses who could use some refresher work.)

Anyway, I haven't gotten to learning anything about that yet, really. It's cold and windy and nasty outside. We'll work on that come springtime.

I did complete my move, yes, and it was difficult crossing the Rockies during windy snowstorms, using an antiquated truck that was overloaded by 4000lbs... But, with some tenacity and with some considerable driving skill*, I made it just fine.

*Keeping an overloaded 2wd truck (built before things like traction control and anti-lock brakes) with a huge trailer under control when on an icy road with 30-40mph crosswinds takes skill. Other, easier to control, vehicles were wiping out all over the place, but though I had a few close calls, I never lost control of my rig.

Just started College (again) less than a week ago; Gonzaga is a pretty cool school, not too small, not too big, with an informal attitude and lots of history. The classes are challenging too... physics and calculus are keeping me very busy trying to keep up. (Heh... it probably would help if I had the trig or precalc prerequisites, or if I had taken any math class less than 6 years ago... but with the help of their free 'math lab' tutoring, I think I can handle it. That, and oddly enough, one of the things that is really helping is to thoroughly and diligently read the textbooks, working through all the examples.)

Jay has gotten settled in, sorta... Still hasn't been turned loose with the other mares though. That will probably wait for spring, when they're all distracted with eating the new spring grass and not interested in fighting over hay piles. She has been talking to the others over the fence though, and surprisingly, even though she's small and only 4 years old, it looks like she's not going to be at the bottom of the pecking order... she stands up for herself sometimes. (And luckily, the boss mare of the herd is the benevolent type, who doesn't pick fights just to prove she's the boss.)
It's also made me realize how much my little Jay trusts me. The other people at the ranch can barely touch her; she'll run away and buck... But me? She trusts me, and I can do anything with her. ^.^ Sure makes me feel special. Oh, and you should have seen her the first time she was introduced to the other horses... She went over to sniff them, they got along for a bit... then one of them challenged her a little, and she ran away scared... right to me. ^.^ So she came running to me when she got scared. Sure feels nice!

And that's how Equestria was made! *

*For all you pony-ignorant people out there, that's the brony way of saying, TL;DR.
Ankhanu
Glad the move went well. Good luck with the training and learning and junk.

ocalhoun wrote:
And that's how Equestria was made! *

*For all you pony-ignorant people out there, that's the brony way of saying, TL;DR.

In no way am I a brony, but I may just adopt this... mostly because it's so non sequitur in most applications, and I do so love the non sequitur.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:

*roll*
You know... if you're trying to ask a specific person a question, we have a neat PM feature...
I did consider that. But since all of it came from a public thread where everyone shared, thought it would be a bit selfish.

ocalhoun wrote:
But, I guess I'll take this as a way of saying OMG, ocalhoun, why didn't you make a thread about this already!?!
Right on the number! I've been burning with curiosity since your absence in December. I pictured this incredibly large caravan of yours crossing long distances to the West. Sort of an epic move! Turned out I was not too wrong about this. Did you do all of that in one day or did you sleep over en route? Good start in mechanical engineering too. Calculating everything too.

ocalhoun wrote:
Kinda. After moving, somebody mentioned to me that I should update my location, so I changed it to 'Everfree Forest'. I'm guessing Deanhills noticed that.
It's a great name and eye catching, otherwise maybe I'd have missed it. Is that what it looks like around you?

ocalhoun wrote:
... and what do you do if it's having difficulty with the whole 'arriving' part?
Guess it is at this stage that Vanilla would be likely to help out, except she's a bit of a distance away. Going to be a very interesting job.

ocalhoun wrote:
But, no, I'm not here to learn about horse breeding... I'm here to learn about horse training... Which is something a breeding ranch does quite a lot -- lots of new foals who need to learn a lot before they can be sold. (And lots of older horses who could use some refresher work.)

Anyway, I haven't gotten to learning anything about that yet, really. It's cold and windy and nasty outside. We'll work on that come springtime.
Thanks for the correction. Trainer sounds great. Particularly with foals. Next thing they're all going to follow you instead of their mommies. Like that Canadian goose movie. Very Happy

ocalhoun wrote:
Jay has gotten settled in, sorta... Still hasn't been turned loose with the other mares though. That will probably wait for spring, when they're all distracted with eating the new spring grass and not interested in fighting over hay piles. She has been talking to the others over the fence though, and surprisingly, even though she's small and only 4 years old, it looks like she's not going to be at the bottom of the pecking order... she stands up for herself sometimes. (And luckily, the boss mare of the herd is the benevolent type, who doesn't pick fights just to prove she's the boss.)
It's also made me realize how much my little Jay trusts me. The other people at the ranch can barely touch her; she'll run away and buck... But me? She trusts me, and I can do anything with her. ^.^ Sure makes me feel special. Oh, and you should have seen her the first time she was introduced to the other horses... She went over to sniff them, they got along for a bit... then one of them challenged her a little, and she ran away scared... right to me. ^.^ So she came running to me when she got scared. Sure feels nice!
Must be a great feeling. Just imagine what it's going to be like when all of them start to run to you. Looks as though you're in great company!