FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My Rant about Idiot Employees

Robert_Redbeard
So I am in this FAST Food place. Two guys up at the counter. Both are employees just in there to eat. And it appears just to hang out and stall the line.

This kind of crap really gets me in a mood to stomp people. If you don't know what you want going into one of these places, then stay out until you do. There is a limited menu, most of it sucks, so you have to have a reason to go into the place at all. Know what you want and make it better for the rest of us.

Being these fools were off the clock employees just made it infuriating. This is where you work. You should know better than to stall the line. Not knowing what you wanted going in is bad enough. But making chit chat and fooling around while real customers wait is just rude.

Anyone else find themselves in these situations? Or am I just over sensative? But I find my self dealing with this kind of crap all over the place.
standready
The shift manager should have 'taken care' of those employees no matter whether they were on the clock or not or even if they worked at a different location especially if they were wearing uniforms making their stupidity obvious to real customers.
ocalhoun
#firstworldproblems
Robert_Redbeard
standready wrote:
The shift manager should have 'taken care' of those employees no matter whether they were on the clock or not or even if they worked at a different location especially if they were wearing uniforms making their stupidity obvious to real customers.

They were not in uniforms. I know who they are because I live right next door to this place. Only reason it really bothers me is because I am the type of guy that likes to get in and out with as little fuss as I can. Plus I had left the new dog alone and free to roam my place for the first time.

I guess you could say there were aggravating circumstances. I have been in this town only a year. And as uptight and angry as the people here are, I am suprised that anyone could get away with acting that way at work. On or off the clock.

I just left to attend to my dog and came back later.
deanhills
That is real bad management. Obviously not trained in the customer being No. 1 philosophy. I like a place where all the staff, whether on duty or not, are focused on the customer or at least show they are aware there are customers waiting in line. When the staff's attention are more on one another in a chatty bantering style, while I have to wait and listen to all of it as well, as though I don't exist, that also irritates me. I'd either walk out and find a better place, or not revisit again.
Robert_Redbeard
deanhills wrote:
That is real bad management. Obviously not trained in the customer being No. 1 philosophy. I like a place where all the staff, whether on duty or not, are focused on the customer or at least show they are aware there are customers waiting in line. When the staff's attention are more on one another in a chatty bantering style, while I have to wait and listen to all of it as well, as though I don't exist, that also irritates me. I'd either walk out and find a better place, or not revisit again.

I am the catering cook at what is called "The busiest place in town." I don't even let the wait staff take my order if there are other customers. I find a place to sit at the counter so I am not taking up a table where a group could be setting instead, I chat up the regulars that sit at the counter, and I wait for everyone to get taken care of before I even think about ordering.

If it is really busy, I leave and come back later. My fellow cooks don't need the extra load when our customers are picky enough about the speed that their food gets to them. I don't need to be messing with their flow.

Then again, I'm pushing 40 and realize that the world does not revolve around me. Which I have noticed don't mesh with the younger crowds working the place I am talking about. At one time, I didn't even go to any of the places in this franchise because for six months, every time I went to one they messed up my order. First time I went back was when I moved to this new town three years later.

Ya think I hold a grudge?
Blaster
Being a cook at a resturant like you are talking about I must say I see exactly where you are coming from. I usually see myself helping out customers when I come in on my days off to get food. I just put my order up on the board and when the person working gets to mine then I get it.
menino
I agree with you Robert_redbeard, but fact is that the world is full of irritating and insensitive people.
You can either choose to confront those people at the time, but they will probably do it somewhere else again, but at least you would have dealt with the situation, at the time.
I don't think that you should let it get to your head, and it is good that you are courteous, and think about people and the business that you work for altogether.
Still people will be people, and not all are good, nor all are bad. If they were your direct reports, and affecting you (i.e. if you were in the line), you have to do something about it, but if its someone else's business, why get into it and get all rallied up?
Robert_Redbeard
menino wrote:
I agree with you Robert_redbeard, but fact is that the world is full of irritating and insensitive people.
You can either choose to confront those people at the time, but they will probably do it somewhere else again, but at least you would have dealt with the situation, at the time.
I don't think that you should let it get to your head, and it is good that you are courteous, and think about people and the business that you work for altogether.
Still people will be people, and not all are good, nor all are bad. If they were your direct reports, and affecting you (i.e. if you were in the line), you have to do something about it, but if its someone else's business, why get into it and get all rallied up?

This is why I vent. Things get ugly when I confront. Never has worked well for me. People tend to think that a little bluff and bluster goes a long way. But it stops dead in it's tracks when I am involved.

I just try to avoid those situations. Unless it is directly affecting my well being. Then you would have better luck kicking a dragon in the jollies. Because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup. LOL!!!

Really I figured other people would have something to say. So I posted a thread. I like to rant. It keeps me sane.
deanhills
Robert_Redbeard wrote:
Really I figured other people would have something to say. So I posted a thread. I like to rant. It keeps me sane.
Makes for a very alive thread so rant away, I enjoyed your posts! Very Happy
Robert_Redbeard
deanhills wrote:

I'm glad someone does. Makes things easier knowing there is enjoyment to be had from my disgruntled nature. Cool
menino
Robert_Redbeard wrote:
deanhills wrote:

I'm glad someone does. Makes things easier knowing there is enjoyment to be had from my disgruntled nature. Cool

LOL deanhills and redbeard.

If ranting was never allowed, blogs would not have come up and been popular.

Quote:
This is why I vent. Things get ugly when I confront. Never has worked well for me.

Well, perhaps you should treat the situation carefully when going into it, and keep a calm head altogether. I also avoid these situations, but mainly because I would not know how to deal with them. But I have seen people who do and the others listen to them without a hitch. All you need is a stern look (make them know that you are "the boss"), and if things get out of control, walk away from it, and know you've tried, and perhaps learn a way that you can deal with it better.
This will create better managers as they know how to deal with people.
I wished I could Neutral
Blaster
I'd rather read a ranting thread than most threads. At least this one I can relate too. Most threads now seem to be about stupid things that I have nothing I want to contribute about. I agree though ranting can keep me sane as well. Plus I tend to get good ideas when I rant or read about other peoples rants. It helps me try and figure out a way to make things better in the world... Or at least in my world.
Robert_Redbeard
Blaster wrote:
I'd rather read a ranting thread than most threads. At least this one I can relate too. Most threads now seem to be about stupid things that I have nothing I want to contribute about. I agree though ranting can keep me sane as well. Plus I tend to get good ideas when I rant or read about other peoples rants. It helps me try and figure out a way to make things better in the world... Or at least in my world.

I have to admit. I come up with some of my best stuff when I am just going off on something. My friends get a kick out of it. At least the ones with a sense of humor do. The others think I am just mean. But it is best in their mind that I am their mean friend instead of someone's friend that is mean to them. LOL!!!

menino wrote:
Well, perhaps you should treat the situation carefully when going into it, and keep a calm head altogether. I also avoid these situations, but mainly because I would not know how to deal with them. But I have seen people who do and the others listen to them without a hitch. All you need is a stern look (make them know that you are "the boss"), and if things get out of control, walk away from it, and know you've tried, and perhaps learn a way that you can deal with it better.
This will create better managers as they know how to deal with people.
I wished I could

I really am calmer than most people give me credit for being. My problem is that I am really hard to read. People see me coming and get scared. Then do stupid crap, like get tough or gods forbid, put their hands on me.

People can’t tell if I am being serious or not. I have had to learn to give indicators that I am just kidding even with long time friends. So, knowing thy self, I avoid situations that might lead to bad outcomes with people I don’t know.

Last time someone read me wrong, it ended with them bleeding badly and me with a broken hand. All because he didn’t take my friends word for it that I was kidding and not to take me seriously. I guess it was two strikes against him that night. One for taking me serious and two for not taking my buddy serious when he was told the last thing he wanted to do was fight me. LOL!!!

This is why I have chosen to just walk away and try again later.

Funny thing is that my dad has the same problem. My whole family really. They see the lot of us walk up and get nervous. But it pays off in free drinks. LOL.
deanhills
I usually play it by ear. But in this case I'd probably have removed myself from the place as I don't see any sense in arguing. The real discussion, if any, should be with the manager of the place. And that may be a waste of time. I'd have argued that if management is like this then the kitchen may not be in much better shape either and this may just be the beginning of a series of things that could make for a bad experience - not worth it. If there is no alternative eating place I'd either just forget about food and go through a little bit of hunger or go home and prepare my own.