FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

ASKING for suggestions!

LittleBlackKitten
Well, I now have all this web space, and can't use it to earn money any more. (Long story.) So, I need ideas as to what my website could become. I have few friends, so an about me or a blog would be useless. Anyone have suggestions?

The suggestion forum is for suggestions on how to improve Frihost. I went ahead and move this to Design Tips as it seems more relevant. - Ghost Rider103
Ankhanu
Host/display your photography?
LittleBlackKitten
I thought about that, but the way I want it to look and the way it comes out are very different. I am such a perfectionist that I never get it right, and get frustrated. That, and I already have a deviantArt that I never update.
truespeed
Websites are great at first,you have the initial enthusiasm,getting an idea,choosing a domain name,setting up the site,adding content,but then comes the problem of getting traffic,if traffic doesn't come its easy to lose motivation.

So i can't really suggest a site idea,but whatever you decide make sure its something your interested in,because if the traffic doesn't come,at least its something that you yourself can be proud of.
ocalhoun
Well, one popular use for Frihost hosting seems to be using it as a testing ground for new websites you're making for yourself or others, websites that will be hosted elsewhere when finished...

Right now, I use mine mainly for hosting pony emotes.

I would use it to host my new pony forum... but it is already getting too big for a 250mb account.
(website files ~ 80mb, database ~50mb, attachments ~150mb) ... Not sure if the bandwidth would cover it either.
(And that's before I work on hosting 720 or 1080 videos on that server!)

In the past, I've used it as a portfolio of sorts... displaying (selected) personal info and examples of work on your own private webpage makes you look a lot more capable and professional than a facebook page.
deanhills
Why not start your own Forum for you and your friends. Everyone can post different topics to discuss. Would be a learning experience for you too. You get to be your own Administrator and have Sub-Forums on all kinds of topics. You may find after a while that one topic is more popular than others, and you can then specialize in that topic.
cybersa
I agree with you.^^

Forum will help you and your friends.
You can create a private forum for you and your friends only.
Robert_Redbeard
There has to be something you are interested enough in to be able to publish on a web page. I am into Wilderness Survival and Primative skills. So it is what I do on my site.

You could also use it as a Portal of sorts for your FB, Twitter, YouTube and other accounts. One of the other things I am implimenting on my site.

It's not always easy to come up with an idea. But something will pop for ya. I just work in stages. I developed my ideas over years of studying stuff I was interested in. Then I tried a couple sites to get used to the coding involved. Now I am developing my content and site layout. My next challenge will be to generate some traffic. But that is why I have the YouTube Channel, FB Fan Page and Twitter accounts already set up and ready.

You'll figure something out if you really want to do it.
tidruG
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
I have few friends, so an about me or a blog would be useless. Anyone have suggestions?

Regardless, a blog would be a great idea, especially if you like writing. And I don't mean writing artistically or writing poetry/prose, but just expressing yourself through writing/typing rather than speaking. I find that when I type, my thoughts and expressions are a little more coherent because I have to force my thoughts to slow down in order for my hands to keep up.

I have 3 blogs--one for public consumption, a secret blog that no one has the password to, and a third blog which was supposed to be accessible to only close friends, but gets rarely updated.

The great fun of having a blog in your own webspace is that you get to customise it and install plugins and themes that you want.

I wouldn't recommend a forum because I tried that and unless you have friends who dedicatedly want to keep in touch, you will have very little activity on your forums.

The next best option, if you're interested in web-design, is to design your portfolio with your photographs, maybe not for official or career prospects, but just simply for fun.
Dialogist
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
I have few friends, so an about me or a blog would be useless.

The author in the picture in JD Salinger. He was a known (well now anyway) recluse. He had no friends. He wrote one of the most celebrated and important novels of all time. Your social status doesn't dictate your ability. I dare say it probably limits it. Anyone worth looking at, truly, often got that way by ironically not wanting having you look at them. Hours spent in solace, alone, honing a craft while everyone else is out updating their social status and fulfilling non consequential expectations of their peers and society is usually what makes an artist. So if you're worried about nobody being interested in what is inside of you, you're confusing "reality" with actual reality. If you think that your talents are worthless because nobody encourages them, your talents are probably pleasing other people besides yourself. If you think that it's pointless if you have no audience then you're envisioning the reward to be the kill rather than the chase. Which, as any artist worth his salt will tell you, is a horribly befuddled philosophy. Also, as any philosopher worth his salt will tell you, is a horribly befuddled art.

I mention writing because it's the first thing you mentioned and instantly dismissed (due to lack of reception) which was glaring to me.

"It's better to write for yourself and have no public, then to write for your public and have no self" - Cyril Connolly.

So my suggestion to you is to make your website about whatever you'd like to make it about. And maybe "It's not there to be lauded, it's there to be my canvas" should be your approach. I'm not saying, "Just enjoy yourself" or anything quite as twee and pathetically bland as all that. I'm saying, enjoy not enjoying it. Put work in to it. But for you, not the imagined faceless masses who arguably don't even exist (not literally nor figuratively).

My website currently is a blank white index page. It amuses me. It'll stay like until the end of this month. Then it'll be the greatest website I ever created. Just out of the blue. Because that amuses me too.

If you ever get back to your money-making website, be sure to post the link so that we can all ad block it. Wink
deanhills
Dialogist wrote:
"It's better to write for yourself and have no public, then to write for your public and have no self" - Cyril Connolly.
I realize you are writing posts for your hosting, but this is one member of the public who really appreciates your quality posts. Sort of a spontaneous thing when I go through new posts. Ahhhh ..... Dialogist. So I'm glad you're not a Salinger. Wonder whether he would have been more sharing of his thoughts, if he'd have had access to Forums where he could have written under a pseudonym?
Dialogist
deanhills wrote:
Dialogist wrote:
I realize you are writing posts for your hosting, but this is one member of the public who really appreciates your quality posts. Sort of a spontaneous thing when I go through new posts. Ahhhh ..... Dialogist. So I'm glad you're not a Salinger. Wonder whether he would have been more sharing of his thoughts, if he'd have had access to Forums where he could have written under a pseudonym?

It's a bifurcation fallacy that misanthropes either hate everyone or are scared of everyone. Some just hate mostly everyone (haha), others, like myself (and George Carlin if I remember correctly), like a great many people, just in short convenient intervals. Small doses. So I doubt Sallinger would have posted here or anywhere. I think he probably enjoyed and preferred his own company, rather than hated that of others.

I'm not a great writer like... I was going to say him, he's wasn't a great writer either. He is one, now. Because he wrote the Great American Novel, "Catcher In The Rye". You can do no wrong really in your field after an accolade like that. But some of his unfinished and unreleased/unpublished works surfaced after he died. They kinda sorta sucked. I mean, they were okay, but nothing on a par with his one-time capsulation of perfection. Comparing myself to that, I couldn't do it.

I'm a sponge. I soak up liquidity and spit it out at folk. Even that quote you quoted I had quoted. I never steal I just absorb and run it through the environmental unfriendly catalystic convertor and see how many rain forests that takes down. But I have them for every occasion. "It only takes one tree to make a thousand matches, only takes one match, to burn a thousand trees". See? I'm not even going to credit that songwriter because like me, he took and reworked it from Confucius or somebody.

As far as posting for hosting goes, I thought that was the whole point? I know I'm expected to melt and assimilate but I've tried that before and it was a fool's errand.
deanhills
Dialogist wrote:
I'm a sponge. I soak up liquidity and spit it out at folk. Even that quote you quoted I had quoted. I never steal I just absorb and run it through the environmental unfriendly catalystic convertor and see how many rain forests that takes down. But I have them for every occasion. "It only takes one tree to make a thousand matches, only takes one match, to burn a thousand trees". See? I'm not even going to credit that songwriter because like me, he took and reworked it from Confucius or somebody.
I guess by that description we all qualify as sponges, from the beginning of time. We're educated and trained to be sponges. Except you do it VERY thoroughly and very well. So maybe you're a five star sponge then. Very Happy

Dialogist
deanhills wrote:
Dialogist wrote:
I guess by that description we all qualify as sponges, from the beginning of time. We're educated and trained to be sponges. Except you do it VERY thoroughly and very well. So maybe you're a five star sponge then. Very Happy

Are you calling me "a biter", deanhills? Laughing

I rote your name on my cite.