FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PS-2 Combo Port

Dennise
Many newer PCs and motherboards have just one PS-2 port called a PS-2 combo port.

One such mobo is the ASUS M5A88-V EVO. This (single) PS-2 port is colored blue on one half, and purple on the other half. The mobo manual calls this this port a keyboard mouse combo port. Can someone please advise exactly what this means?

Some have said it means one can use the port for a keyboard OR a mouse but NOT both.

Others claim with the use of a properly wired 'Y' splitter cable, one can use both keyboard AND mouse on this single PS-2 combo port.

Any ideas?
ocalhoun
Dennise wrote:

Some have said it means one can use the port for a keyboard OR a mouse but NOT both.

I think this is probably what it means.
In the (sorta) old days, there were two identical PS2 ports on the back, one for keyboard and one for mouse... and getting those backwards meant that neither would work.
But then, things got a little more advanced, and the PS2 ports began to be able to figure out what was connected to them, and respond appropriately, so (even though they were still specifically labeled), you could connect either device to either port and it would still work.
The motherboard you're talking about probably has this same type of port, but just has one rather than two.
Quote:

Others claim with the use of a properly wired 'Y' splitter cable, one can use both keyboard AND mouse on this single PS-2 combo port.

I suspect this is only true for certain motherboards specially wired for such a setup.
It would be simpler to just use a USB mouse or keyboard (or both).
Cheaper, too, since USB mice and keyboards are probably cheaper than those special splitter cables.
Dennise
Thanks Ocalhoun,

You are probably correct; it's either a mouse OR keyboard - not both. I'll likely go with a PS-2 keyboard and a USB mouse to be followed later with a wireless keyboard and mouse that uses a single USB port.

This is a good example of something that never ceases to amaze me. Manual writers too often fail to see the ambiguity of their work and do not place themselves in the seat of customers trying to figure out their confusing statements.