FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Two HDDs and two OSs one PC

Dennise
I'm doing a new PC build and wish to run Windows XP on one HDD and Windows 7 on a 2nd physical HDD. I'll switch the boot order (in the BIOS) to select which OS I want to run.

New motherboard is an ASUS M5A88-V EVO
New HDD is Seagate Barracuda Green ST1500DL003 1.5TB 5900 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

The new mobo has one IDE connector for legacy IDE HDDs. The remaining HDD connectors are SATA.

I purchased a new retail version of Windows 7 and will install that on my new Seagate SATA HDD. For the 2nd HDD, I want to physically transfer a working IDE HDD to my new build. This HDD has a working Windows XP OS already installed on that HDD. It will be removed from an old PC that I am retiring.

My questions are these:

1. Are there any reasons why this arrangement would not work?
    2. Are there any special procedures or installation order I should follow to get this double OS system up and running? I have heard this ASUS mobo's IDE port is tricky to use.

Thanks in a advance.
ocalhoun
Dennise wrote:

1. Are there any reasons why this arrangement would not work?

No.

Well, except for one little thing.
Some motherboards have both types of HDD ports, but can only use one at a time... Particularly some of the ones made when SATA was still a new concept.
You might want to make sure yours isn't one of them.
(If it is, you could get around it by using an adapter that converts your old-style HDD to a SATA, or vice versa, using an adapter to convert the new SATA to old style as well... Which may work better anyway... I'm not sure if XP supports SATA.)
Quote:

2. Are there any special procedures or installation order I should follow to get this double OS system up and running? I have heard this ASUS mobo's IDE port is tricky to use.

1: Physically install HDD with XP on it.
2: Physically install blank HDD for Win7
3: Install Win7 software, configuring it for dual boot.

The windows 7 boot loader should be capable of (automatically) setting up a dual-boot arrangement, so it will ask you which OS to use every time you boot up. (it should automatically pick win7 after 30 seconds without a choice, if you don't change those settings)

I've done this many times with older versions of windows, but I don't know how to set it up in win7... You'll need someone familiar with win7 to help you with that detail.

But yes, it will work, and what's more, you should be able to switch between OS's without the inconvenience of accessing the BIOS.
Dennise
Quote:
3: Install Win7 software, configuring it for dual boot.

Thanks Ocalhoun.

Considering I'll have two physical HDDs - one for each OS - NOT two partitions on one HDD; would I still configure the new 'virgin' HDD for dual boot?

Do you know if the Win 7 install disk will also format a virgin HDD as part of the W7 install?
ocalhoun
Dennise wrote:

Considering I'll have two physical HDDs - one for each OS - NOT two partitions on one HDD; would I still configure the new 'virgin' HDD for dual boot?

Windows installer should do the configuring for you; just install it, and (somehow) tell win7 how you want it to be set up.
As for exactly how to do that... well, I've never even used the win7 installer, so I'm not sure.
Quote:

Do you know if the Win 7 install disk will also format a virgin HDD as part of the W7 install?

It should be able to partition and format the drive.
...I think win95 was the last windows version that required you to partition and format the drive before starting the install process... With all later versions including a partitioner and formatter as part of the install program.
cybersa
My idea:
You already have Windows 7 on new PC'd Hdd.
You have Windows XP on old PC's disk.
If it is correct,

Make you sure,your first boot is Winodows 7.
Login into Administration account.
Get this EasyBcD software from here
http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/
Then add your Windows XP to Windows 7's bootmanager.

Hope this will work.
Note:Backup everything I can't sure.
Dennise
Quote:
You already have Windows 7 on new PC'd Hdd.
You have Windows XP on old PC's disk.

Not quite my situation ...... Here's what I have:

Two physical HDDs: one new, bare 1.5 Tb SATA HDD (not partitioned,not formatted?), a 2nd 160 Gb (IDE) HDD with Windows XP already installed.

A new unused, unopened and uninstalled full retail version of Windows 7 professional.

My new PC will use both these HDDs: one with W-XP and the other with W-7. I probably want the new W7 HDD to be my primary C: drive
cybersa
First plug only one HDD Where you want to install windows 7.
Install the Wibdows 7 completely.
Then plug your second HDD with XP.
Then try my above steps.[/list]
ocalhoun
cybersa wrote:
1 - First plug only one HDD Where you want to install windows 7.
2 - Install the Wibdows 7 completely.
3 - Then plug your second HDD with XP.
4 - Then try my above steps.

[numbering of steps added]

If, instead of doing these steps as 1,2,3,4... you change the order to 3,1,2... you should be able to skip step 4.

The windows 7 installer should be able to set up the boot manager; no 3rd party software needed.
menino
ocalhoun wrote:
cybersa wrote:
1 - First plug only one HDD Where you want to install windows 7.
2 - Install the Wibdows 7 completely.
3 - Then plug your second HDD with XP.
4 - Then try my above steps.

[numbering of steps added]

If, instead of doing these steps as 1,2,3,4... you change the order to 3,1,2... you should be able to skip step 4.

The windows 7 installer should be able to set up the boot manager; no 3rd party software needed.

I think this would require some trial and error, but in order for win7 to be able to dual boot, you will need to have the winxp hard disk already there for it to know what to do with it, so dont unplug it.

I would still keep winxp hard disk intact, and then boot with win7 and select the other hard disk for installing it on, and it should dual boot after win7 installs.
rjraaz
Ok, as i understand you have two different versions of windows on different hard disk.

you first have to connect your Windows 7 installed hard disk as Primary. (set first boot device through BIOS setup)

Second make your second hard disk that is installed with XP as secondary.

Now as you make windows 7 installed Hard disk as primary, your system boot up with Windows 7.

after you system boot with windows 7 .

follow the instructions from 8-12 of the following link. That will explain step by step use of EasyBcd to dual boot. EasyBcd is a free utility to use.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html
ocalhoun
rjraaz wrote:

follow the instructions from 8-12 of the following link. That will explain step by step use of EasyBcd to dual boot. EasyBcd is a free utility to use.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html

Again, 3rd party software should not be needed. It would probably work, but is an unnecessary complication, since the win7 installer should be able to do it just as well as the 3rd party software would.

Getting tired of hearing 3rd party software or strange procedures recommended, here's a guide I looked up that tells you the right (and easiest) way to do it.

It assumes you've already partitioned and formatted your blank drive, and have already installed the XP hard drive. *
Quote:

Install Windows 7

Now that you've done all the heavy lifting, it's time for the easy part: Installing Windows 7 on your new partition. So insert your Windows 7 disc and reboot your computer (you'll need to have enabled booting from your DVD drive in your system BIOS, but most PCs will have this enabled by default).

How to Dual Boot Windows 7 with XP or VistaOnce the DVD boots up it's a simple matter of following along with the fairly simple installation wizard. When you're choosing installation type, be sure to select Custom (advanced) and choose the partition you set up above. (Be careful here. Choosing the wrong partition could mean wiping your other Windows installation altogether, so make sure you pick the new partition you just created.)

After you select the partition, go grab yourself a drink and let the installer do its work. Windows will run through some installation bits, restart a few times in the process. Eventually you'll be prompted to set up your account, enter your license key, and set up Windows. Keep your eyes open for fun new Windows 7 features, like your new homegroup (and the accompanying password). When it's finished, you're up and rolling with your new Windows 7 installation.

How to Dual Boot Windows 7 with XP or VistaCongratulations! You should now have a new entry for Windows 7 on your boot screen when you first start up your computer. You've now got all the tools necessary to dual-boot Windows 7 and XP or Vista—or even to triple-boot Windows 7, Vista, and XP.

This isn't the only way to set up a multi-boot system by any means, but it's how I pulled it off. If you've got a method of your own that you prefer, let's hear it in the comments.

*Okay, it actually assumes that you have only one hard drive with XP installed on it, and that you need to resize the XP partition so you can install both OS's on the same disk. Obviously, that's not your situation, but the instructions from the point I included onwards are perfectly relevant to your situation.
The first part of the guide (omitted) explains how to resize the old partition (which you don't need to do, because you've already got plenty of free space on your new drive), and how to format that new partition (which the vista installer should be able to do for you, as long as you're careful to tell it to install on the new drive not the old one.)
cybersa
I think that only workd when having Operating system on the same Hard Disk.
cnitolo
Try using the Acronis boot selector. It has long been unused (i have not tested with 7) but with XP it worked 100%. I had several windows in the same cpu and you can still mess with partition sizes.