FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Peterssidan
Below you see some avatars of Frihost members. The goal is to list the users that these avatars belong to. To make it more difficult the avatars have been modified slightly.

RULES
Most important rule: DO NOT POST THE ANSWERS IN THIS THREAD! Answers should be sent to me (Peterssidan) in a private message, containing the list of user names. You don't need to specify what names belongs what avatar. You don't have to send all names at the same time but note that you are only allowed to send in max 50 names in total. A correct answer gives 1 point. Incorrect answers gives no point reduction. You are allowed to use any search method to find the answers as long as you don't share your findings with other contestants. The user who has the most points when the deadline has passed is the winner. If the points are equal the user who sent in his latest answer earliest is the winner.

DEADLINE
1 March 2012 (passed)

PRIZES
First prize is 100 coins.
Second prize is 50 coins.
Third prize is 25 coins.

STANDINGS
  1. sysna 50
  2. loremar 49
  3. cybersa 49
  4. deanhills 48
  5. andro_king 47
  6. rjraaz 41
  7. Vanilla 33
  8. Blaster 19
cybersa
Nice Contest.
I want to join the contest but now I have Exam.
No problem Deadline is March 1.
Thanks man.
I need some coins for domain.
tidruG
Sounds like fun! I recognise a couple of them (which are staff members Razz).

Sad that mine's not there Sad
truespeed
I did something similar a while back,looking at yours i can only recognize 8 of them,i am sure others will recognize more,if not they are searchable for those wanting/needing coins.

ocalhoun
At first I was like 'How come I don't recognize any!?!'
But then I was like, 'Oh, they're 'shopped.'

Still, I'm a long way from knowing all of them, and I don't have the time to try.
Vanilla
I think I know some of these guys (and girls). I'll give it a try. Smile

ocalhoun wrote:
At first I was like 'How come I don't recognize any!?!'
But then I was like, 'Oh, they're 'shopped.'

My thoughts, exactly. Very Happy
Hexes
Nice contest for experienced frihost users. It would be a bit hard for me to recognize them all since I am brand new user but I will give it a try. By now I recognize 2 of them Razz
Peterssidan
I'm glad you like it. Very Happy So far I have only received answers from Vanilla. The first post has been updated so you can see the score there.

tidruG wrote:
Sad that mine's not there Sad
Don't be sad. Many great members' avatars are missing.
Vanilla
Peterssidan wrote:
I'm glad you like it. Very Happy So far I have only received answers from Vanilla. The first post has been updated so you can see the score there.

I loved it. It is like a treasure hunt for me. Very Happy
tidruG
Oh, I recognise even more of them now! There are at least 5-6 staff avatars in there!
Blaster
I got a few of them yet had to run off to class... I think I can get most of the other ones too...
deanhills
Awesome competition idea Peterssidan. Can recognize some of them but probably need some time to work through all of them. Cool
deanhills
OK. So got 47 out of 50. Some of them have been challenging - particularly the fourth image in the last column. Think I've puzzled that one out now. The remaining three I've seen. Just a matter of finding them perhaps over the next few days.
rjraaz
i got only 30 Crying or Very sad .

Definitely will lose the game.

I think ask to Dean for help. Smile
inuyasha
That's an interesting and challenging contest~ Unfortunately I can recognize none of them. Very Happy I hardly pay attention to people's avatars...
deanhills
rjraaz wrote:
i got only 30 Crying or Very sad .

Definitely will lose the game.

I think ask to Dean for help. Smile
I'm stuck with two last ones to find. I figured out the one out of three that I had to find at the beginning of the day. And corrected one that I discovered had been wrong. I'd say all and all the two most challenging ones for me have been Column1 No. 5 and Column5 No. 4. Particularly Column1 No. 5 I had to use some creative thinking. I've got those figured out now I think.

Now there are two very frustrating ones left, as I can remember having seen the avatars, but just can't remember where, and I don't think the two have made many posts. Perhaps going to take a little longer to figure them out than I thought it would!

Am enjoying the searches however, sort of putting me on memory lane. Very Happy
loremar
YIPEE!!! Very Happy I already found all 50 of them. But luckily for everyone, I already made one mistake. There are two users using the same avatar and I have to guess which one,.. I guess wrong. DAMN IT!!! Sad
The editing made it almost impossible to tell but when I found out I was wrong, I was disappointed I didn't see the obvious. Now I'm waiting for final results from Peter.
deanhills wrote:
I'm stuck with two last ones to find. I figured out the one out of three that I had to find at the beginning of the day. And corrected one that I discovered had been wrong. I'd say all and all the two most challenging ones for me have been Column1 No. 5 and Column5 No. 4. Particularly Column1 No. 5 I had to use some creative thinking. I've got those figured out now I think.

Yeah, Column1 No. 5 is definitely distorted. I think Column5 No. 4 is easy actually. My most challenging for me is Column2 No. 3. I hope I'm not wrong with that one. Cause I think that one's the most distorted of all.
deanhills
Congratulations Loremar. I'll keep on searching until Peter calls time out on this one.

Am enjoying it however while the going is good. Very Happy
ujjwalshrestha
I think I won't even give a try because I don't recognise any of them. I don't really give much attention to avatar.

But still this is a fantastic competition - need more of these kind - something in which I can take part as well.

Good work - keep it up to Frihost team.
mm365
Peterssidan wrote:
Below you see some avatars of Frihost members. The goal is to list the users that these avatars belong to. To make it more difficult the avatars have been modified slightly.

...So many photo
cybersa
My Semester exam is finished.
As i said i entered in this contest.
I sent pm to you.
Hope i will win Smile for renewing my domain.
speeDemon
hehe, reminds me of the social network and facemash! I wish I had some code and brains to get loads of avatars together on one page, and then just match and get the name!!
Vanilla
Man, I can't compete against you guys! Been too absent for a long time AND I'm lazy. Very Happy
Peterssidan
I'm sorry I have been slow to update the scores recently. It should be up to date now.
deanhills
I'm still searching for those two pesky avatars. I changed my technique today, so hope I will have them sorted out by the weekend. Smile
deanhills
OK. I've been driven looney tunes with this contest. Spending hours and hours working my way through the posts so decided to take a pledge. I'm still missing the two pesky avatars. The one I'm sure I've seen in the Phil&Rel Forum. Can actually picture the Avatar, not the content of the post - so who knows, that could be a mirage as well. But what I do remember was that it piqued my interest. So much so that I checked it out, but I can't remember what I came up with. Or was that a mirage too! Shocked

The other one I recall seeing in the World News Section. As well as somewhere near the top, maybe the featured discussions - but that could not have been a blog, as I have a vivid recall of the actual avatar. I also remember Bondings posting in the same thread but since I remember seeing the actual Avatar could not have been a blog.

I've now made a deal with myself, just so I can restore some of my mental sanity. I'm going to work through all of the World News posts say up to July 2010. That should not be too hard to do. I'm going to work through all Bondings non-blog and non-support posts also up to July 2010. And if I have not found that Avatar, then I have to concede defeat.

The second one I will work through all of the Phil&Rel posts also up to July 2010. If I have not found it, I'll concede defeat with that one too. I've already worked through most of the featured Phil&Rel Forum discussions. So should not be that hard to do either.

Positive part of course is that I found some very interesting and worthwhile posts of the past also learned a few things in the featured Phil&Rel Discussions that I had not known before.

OK. Will check in here before midnight today. As that is also my cut-off deadline for finding these two elusive avatars. I think if I find them I'm going to feature them very prominently somewhere once the contest is over. Otherwise I'll wait until the announcement of the winners and then probably also feature them prominently everywhere. Make them part of my signature! Twisted Evil
deanhills
OK. Officially given up on the one Avatar.

World News ticked off. It must have been a mirage. The Avatar is definitely not there. Very Happy

Bondings' non-blog and non-support posts. Also no Avatar. Must have imagined that too.

Also checked the featured discussions and blogs - no Avatar. Even the Introductions Sub-Forum.

Now for the missing Avatar No. 2.
deanhills
Been doing other things for the day, so may postpone my deadline for the weekend. 12:00 p.m. on Sunday evening. Got new ideas for searching for both avatars. I'm going to dig deeper in the Phil&Rel Forum for Elusive Avatar No. 1. And check through General Chat for Elusive Avatar 2.
deanhills
Everyone is so quiet! Just Dean making lots of noise. Embarassed I've found one more, with great joy this afternoon. One more to go. This last one is completely elusive. Like a mirage!
Peterssidan
deanhills wrote:
Everyone is so quiet! Just Dean making lots of noise. Embarassed
Should I say something? I was just sitting here hoping you don't reveal exactly where you find the avatars with your detailed search description Wink
deanhills wrote:
I've found one more, with great joy this afternoon. One more to go. This last one is completely elusive. Like a mirage!
Almost one month left so no panic.
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Everyone is so quiet! Just Dean making lots of noise. Embarassed
Should I say something? I was just sitting here hoping you don't reveal exactly where you find the avatars with your detailed search description Wink
No worries about that. You don't have many rules, but you communicated that one pretty good. Smile
Peterssidan wrote:
deanhills wrote:
I've found one more, with great joy this afternoon. One more to go. This last one is completely elusive. Like a mirage!
Almost one month left so no panic.
I'm not the world's most patient of persons, but you're right, there is still plenty of time. I did see my missing Avatar in November last year when I was doing some researches. I wish I could remember better, but during last November when I saw it, I had done so much research. All of the posts I came across during my research have become a blur. That person did not make that many posts. Will be great if I could find the Avatar, but what was even more great were all of the interesting discussions I came across. I'll let you have what I've got on Sunday/Monday.

Any way. Have to thank you for this competition. I worked through a huge number of posts in the Phil&Rel Forum over the last three days, and there are really excellent debates in there. I've even copied quotes. I wonder what have become of all of those posters, i.e. the ones from 2006 to 2008/9. Some of the debates between Bikerman and Mike Reynolds were really entertaining as well. Cool
loremar
Just a hint Dean, maybe you should lock yourself the third place before somebody beats you to it. Wink
iyepes
I only recognize one of the avatars..... the most known one..... I think I'm not a good candidate to participate into this contest Smile
sonam
iyepes wrote:
I only recognize one of the avatars..... the most known one..... I think I'm not a good candidate to participate into this contest Smile

I am little bit better I can recognize few but I don't know nicks and too lazy to look around about it.

Sonam
deanhills
loremar wrote:
Just a hint Dean, maybe you should lock yourself the third place before somebody beats you to it. Wink
It is not a big issue with me. My challenge is more in finding the 50 avatars. If I don't get the fifty, then I will still send my 49 - but probably on the last day of the contest - not a big deal where it lands in the list. Twisted Evil
deanhills
I'm still searching for that elusive Avatar. I've just managed to work through most of the Phil&Rel threads - was convinced I'd seen that Avatar there, but have not been able to find it. And on the way I of course got thoroughly side-tracted. Some amazing threads in that Forum. Completely bowled over by some of Royal's discussions for example. And Bondings. Then also got side tracted by James007 moderator posts. This guy has a great sense of humour and had me in stiches!

OK. Back to searching again. Hopefully next time I'm posting here it will be with some great news and a PM on the way to you Peterssidan! Haven't had this much fun with a contest in a long long while! Smile
truespeed
I haven't joined in with this contest as it would take too long to search out the answers,but if i did surely the best approach would be to search areas of the forum where Peterssidan posts,assuming he used avatars that he himself thinks are recognizable,then the areas of the forums that he is familiar with would be the first place i would start looking,more specifically the threads he has contributed to.
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
I haven't joined in with this contest as it would take too long to search out the answers,but if i did surely the best approach would be to search areas of the forum where Peterssidan posts,assuming he used avatars that he himself thinks are recognizable,then the areas of the forums that he is familiar with would be the first place i would start looking.
I also thought of that, but I think he's much too shrewd for that. Also, Peterssidan posts quite widely over the whole of Frihost. I think he connects with almost all incoming posts, without necessarily replying to all of them.

I probably should have known that that last Avatar would not be in the Phil&Rel Forum as if it had been, then the score would have already been 50. It is going to turn up (if it does for me) in the least suspected place, buried under hundreds of other posts. Anyway, I learned so much in the Phil&Rel Forum, that was actually a very enjoyable detour. So will keep on trying to find No. 50 until the deadline. I've even thought of telepathy. Like really visualizing it hard, as I have definitely seen this avatar before and know exactly what it looks like, tell myself before I go to sleep that when I wake up in the morning I will know exactly where it is. Hasn't kicked in yet. Twisted Evil
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
I'm still searching for that elusive Avatar. I've just managed to work through most of the Phil&Rel threads - was convinced I'd seen that Avatar there, but have not been able to find it. And on the way I of course got thoroughly side-tracted. Some amazing threads in that Forum.

So that's why you've been bumping the old threads so much.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
I'm still searching for that elusive Avatar. I've just managed to work through most of the Phil&Rel threads - was convinced I'd seen that Avatar there, but have not been able to find it. And on the way I of course got thoroughly side-tracted. Some amazing threads in that Forum.

So that's why you've been bumping the old threads so much.
Absolutely! And enjoying them too. Don't think I've learned as much as I have about all of the characters as in the last couple of weeks. The Phil&Rel Forum took the prize for some spectacular discussions. Particularly in the earlier years when there had been a much greater variety of characters contributing to the discussions.
playhouse
Ha ha, dont know who they are but they are fun pics
sysna
after two hours search, i have sent my answers, waiting to see the result Very Happy
Peterssidan
The first person to reach 50 points is sysna. Well done! Applause

This means sysna is going to win but the contest goes on as before. The rest of you still have second and third prize to compete for.
sysna
Wow , i don't believe that i have won Very Happy , waiting to know who will be the second and the third, thanks Peterssidan.
deanhills
Well done sysna. You're putting me to great shame. If you could have found my missing Avatar, it must have been much easier to find than I thought it was. Applause

If I may ask. How long did it take you to find all of the 50 avatars?

tamilparks
i could not find any one of them
deanhills
tamilparks wrote:
i could not find any one of them
Thanks Tamil, just when my self image went rock bottom. Hehe ..... Laughing
cybersa
I came down to 3rd.
Bad. Sad
deanhills
cybersa wrote:
I came down to 3rd.
Bad. Sad
Competition is not over yet. It could get worse ..... Twisted Evil

Darn! Did some more searching today and that avatar has still not been found. Brick wall
sysna
deanhills wrote:
Well done sysna. You're putting me to great shame. If you could have found my missing Avatar, it must have been much easier to find than I thought it was. Applause

If I may ask. How long did it take you to find all of the 50 avatars?

actually finding 45 of them took me around 6 hours i think but the 5 remaining as i said above took me around 2 hours to find them.
deanhills
sysna wrote:
actually finding 45 of them took me around 6 hours i think but the 5 remaining as i said above took me around 2 hours to find them.
Good for you Sysna and again warm congratulations on winning the contest! I spent DAYS and DAYS .... many MANY hours. I can't wait for the end of this contest to find out what that last Avatar is, and whether it really is in the area where I thought it would be. Could have been a mirage and the memory part of my mind playing tricks on me!

By the way it probably took me an hour or a little more to find 48. There were then two that proved to be elusive. One would have been easy as I had made a complete mistake about recognizing it. It was very close to the 48. I just about kicked myself when I finally found it two or three days later. The last one however has me COMPLETELY baffled and floored. I've been searching weeks to find it. Haven't given up however .... still searching. Very Happy
cybersa
deanhills wrote:
cybersa wrote:
I came down to 3rd.
Bad. Sad
Competition is not over yet. It could get worse ..... Twisted Evil

Darn! Did some more searching today and that avatar has still not been found. Brick wall

I think you will beat me.
All the best for your search.
loremar
MY 100 COINS!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Crying or Very sad
deanhills
OK. I've exhausted a million strategies. Since relatively new members did so well with finding my elusive avatar .... maybe that should be a clue. Got to completely erase the thought I've seen it before and treat it as a complete unknown quantity. OK Watson, we've got our job cut out for us! 10 days left to D-Day!

deanhills
Well, that Avatar is not in the Introductions Sub-Forum. Phew .... this is REALLY hard work, and I just have this sneaking suspicion that I'm probably doing it the hardest way there is. There is of course always the positive in that I'm learning at an enormous curve as I can't help being side tracted while I'm working my way through all of the posts. I've always known Frihost was special, but am now just completely bowled over by what a treasure trove of articles there are, as well as VERY interesting collection of characters. More about those after the contest. Just seven sleeps left. And then I will be put out of my misery at last .... OR who knows, maybe there is still a chance I may find that Avatar. Smile
sysna
deanhills wrote:
Well, that Avatar is not in the Introductions Sub-Forum. Phew .... this is REALLY hard work, and I just have this sneaking suspicion that I'm probably doing it the hardest way there is. There is of course always the positive in that I'm learning at an enormous curve as I can't help being side tracted while I'm working my way through all of the posts. I've always known Frihost was special, but am now just completely bowled over by what a treasure trove of articles there are, as well as VERY interesting collection of characters. More about those after the contest. Just seven sleeps left. And then I will be put out of my misery at last .... OR who knows, maybe there is still a chance I may find that Avatar. Smile

yes i too think that there is an easier way rather than trying to see all posts ! this will take you days to read and as there are 1042239 articles in this forum. there is a simple logic how the avatars has been chosen, you just need to figure it out Very Happy
loremar
sysna wrote:
deanhills wrote:

yes i too think that there is an easier way rather than trying to see all posts ! this will take you days to read and as there are 1042239 articles in this forum. there is a simple logic how the avatars has been chosen, you just need to figure it out Very Happy

Shhh... Shhh

Of course I know all these avatars. When I joined here last year, I read the entire forum. Liar Very Happy
deanhills
sysna wrote:
deanhills wrote:

I'm totally in awe of both you and the 49'ers, and at the same time completely disgusted with my own lack of logic. I've been completely immersed in the search however just don't seem to be able to get the logic. So am very much looking forward to hear what your methods have been after the winners have been announced.

OK, this is for Peterssidan to decide as this is of course his contest. Peterssidan, is it possible to add a second tier to the contest after its conclusion? I.e., would it be OK for me to make an additional contribution of coins to the winner with the most logical method of finding the avatars for the quickest results. The methods of course may only be revealed after the conclusion of the contest, and only by the winners of the contest, i.e. the three top scorers.

If Peterssidan is agreeable to this, I'm offering a prize of 75 coins for the most logical approach for searching for the avatars.
Peterssidan
I would prefer if all of you could wait until after the deadline to discuss your methods of finding the avatars.

deanhills wrote:
OK, this is for Peterssidan to decide as this is of course his contest. Peterssidan, is it possible to add a second tier to the contest after its conclusion? I.e., would it be OK for me to make an additional contribution of coins to the winner with the most logical method of finding the avatars for the quickest results. The methods of course may only be revealed after the conclusion of the contest, and only by the winners of the contest, i.e. the three top scorers.

Well, I don't think this is such a good idea. I'm sorry I can't explain why I think so until after the deadline.
loremar
deanhills wrote:
sysna wrote:
deanhills wrote:

I'm totally in awe of both you and the 49'ers, and at the same time completely disgusted with my own lack of logic. I've been completely immersed in the search however just don't seem to be able to get the logic. So am very much looking forward to hear what your methods have been after the winners have been announced.

If Peterssidan is agreeable to this, I'm offering a prize of 75 coins for the most logical approach for searching for the avatars.

It was actually you who gave me the idea how to find these avatars. From one of Peterssidan's thread. Haha, isn't that funny? Otherwise, I wouldn't know how. I'll tell you what thread it was after the deadline.
trapper22
Nice Contest.
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
I would prefer if all of you could wait until after the deadline to discuss your methods of finding the avatars.

deanhills wrote:

Well, I don't think this is such a good idea. I'm sorry I can't explain why I think so until after the deadline.
Thanks for the feedback Peterssidan. I'm sure it will be an excellent reason. My mind is obviously not completely tuned in where it has to be tuned in.

Haha Loremar! You've got me really curious now. Anyway, plenty of notes to compare at the end of the contest. Been an awesome contest so far - at the same time pretty exhausting too - going about it probably the most difficult way there could be, but bottomline of course is to find that fiftieth Avatar - that may not be quite the fiftieth ..... hehe.

Particularly thanks to Peterssidan, I have not been as completely taken by a contest in a VERY long while! Sort of the first thing these days I think about when I wake up. What strategy to follow next.

OK, I'm back to searching again. Will try and work on logic if I can this time round. Smile
salinajohnson
I am new here so Having problem to get ab=ny idea about avatar and its masters. sorryy.
loremar
Wow, speaking of interesting avatars. haha. Laughing
deanhills
loremar wrote:
Wow, speaking of interesting avatars. haha. Laughing
Right .... Laughing sort of symbolic of my searches as well .... Hopefully the next time I report back here I'll have found that pesky Avatar. I'm already visualizing the dance smiley ( Dancing ) for the announcement post ..... you see, now I'm using the power of positive thought in addition to logic .... Razz
sysna
deanhills wrote:

oh good prize ! so now i'm again get thirsty in this game Very Happy , it is also interesting for me to know how other peoples have found their Avatars but there is one thing, if i say what method i've used then there will be no more Avatar contest i think Very Happy
deanhills
sysna wrote:
if i say what method i've used then there will be no more Avatar contest i think Very Happy
Absolutely right. I'm dead curious of course and am looking very much forward to our comparison of notes after the contest is over. I'm dying to know what others have done.

In the meanwhile I'm still at it. Searching for my elusive Avatar .... Very Happy

With regard to the additional coins. Peterssidan suggested that it may not work for reasons he will explain after the contest is over. So we will stick to the contest as is.
andro_king
i have lost the game .. m already at 4th place.. but ll recieve 47 points i guess..
Peterssidan
andro_king wrote:
i have lost the game .. m already at 4th place.. but ll recieve 47 points i guess..

I get the impression that you think you will receive something from me. Points in this context just means the number of correct avatar answers the person has given. It has nothing to do with the Frihost Points that you receive for making posts. It's not even possible to donate Frihost Points. I tried to explain this in a private message before but maybe I wasn't clear enough. I'm sorry about that.
cr8agame
This is a real challenge, but i need some coins. Any clues?
Vanilla
Well done, sysna! You cannot imagine how much I envy you right now hahaha!

And congrats everyone. I'm done! Very Happy
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:

DEADLINE
1 March 2012

Peterssidan, timewise, I'm in my last GRAND all out search strategy that may take me right up to the deadline.

Exactly when is the deadline, and which time zone? I'd imagine it is at midnight on 29 February crossing into 1 March? Is it Sweden time? And what would that be, i.e. Greenwich Mean Time +X hours? I'm on Abu Dhabi GMT +4.

Thanks! Smile
Peterssidan
deanhills wrote:
Exactly when is the deadline, and which time zone?

The deadline is 1 March 24:00 (GMT+1).
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Exactly when is the deadline, and which time zone?

The deadline is 1 March 24:00 (GMT+1).
Thanks Peterssidan, would be great if I could find that avatar before then. Today was one of my more impatient searching days. Along the lines of kicking myself along the way for not having been able to find that avatar yet. I'm now more relaxed, and ready for another session focusing on enjoying the ride! Cool
deanhills
Still at it ..... phew!
nextime
this contest will closed in this tonight Sad
sysna
ok there is only 6 hours remaining, i think i'm sleep when you release final results Very Happy .
cybersa
@sysna
Yeah only 6 hour more.

I think i will get third price.
Let check it in the morning Smile
deanhills
You're right cybersa. I'm still searching and looks as though I won't be able to find that last Avatar. Besides which, even if I did, does not mean I got the ones I found right. So think you're OK for third prize.

Haven't given up however and am still searching. Mine will probably be the very last PM to Peterssidan before the deadline of 24 hours. Smile
Peterssidan
The contest has now ended. Well done everyone! I must say I didn't expect such high scores.

sysna is the winner with 50 points, closely followed by loremar on second place with 49 points and and cybersa on third place, also with 49 points. Applause Applause Applause

Here is the correct answers:
Code:
Yantaal       DataMAX         frih                       Lviter       pollux1er
Da Rossa      Xanatos         pll                        Possum       oskuro
loremar       heady233        The Philosopher Princess   ivanegues    n3k0
cparakawa     pashmina        scotty                     bladesage    exarkun
speeDemon     Bondings        HDirtwater                 uoturkey     Marcuzzo
Donutey       m-productions   Sunny                      misterXY     Bigrazer
bjwok         jabapyth        b4r4t                      hsadmin      william
mtorregiani   desertwind      James Bond-007             sandmanxyz   Nyizsa
[FuN]goku     Antoine_935     Blaster                    rajhank      fadirocks
foggy         Tilibra         Simulator                  gh0stface    ankur209

Many of you erroneously picked budazz instead of [FuN]goku. Both avatars was very similar and I guess I made it unnecessary hard by removing the text in the bottom right corner of the avatar. I didn't know about budazz until later, or I would never have done it.
Other wrong answers are ankitdatashn, Bockman, Zzz., Sukozu and Idoru.
cybersa
Wow,
I won the third prize.
Thanks to Peterssidan for his nice contest.
And also thanks for the prize money.

This will help me to renew my domain.
I want to see more contest like this on frihost.
edwinharry
Hi all, im newbie
deanhills
Congratulations to all of the winners! Applause And also thanks to Peterssidan for the contest. I'm completely exhausted now and probably need a GREAT break.

Anyway, as to a discussion on the avatars. Can't believe HOW MANY times I have clicked on heady233 Brick wall

And to top it all, the BIRD Avatar is MUCH MORE BEAUTIFUL, and FUN, than the lady with the hat I had fixated in my mind - every time I clicked on the Bird Avatar of heady233 I thought it was a great Avatar:

The reason for the fixation (wow how a mind can play tricks on a person) I'd seen another Avatar with a hat - below - but then of course the two didn't match at all, so I thought there had to be another Victorian lady Avatar. That totally floored me. This is the one I'd seen a couple of years ago - jgbex - who had joined on 26 June 2009 - and who had only made one post. But obviously did not even look close to peterssidan's image:

The mind playing tricks on me and being fixated on the wrong Avatar almost happened with antoine_935 as well. I can't remember the avatar now, as I did find it in the end, but it was also embossed grey, except not with a guitar. Thankfully I was clicking around the language forums at one stage and then found antoine in the French Language sub-forum by accident (I thought the Victorian lady may be there as I was looking for her in all of the language forums as well).

I did a search in the memberlist by number of posts. If I had been more with it with antoine_935 I could have found 49 under an hour as Antoine's stood right out - I noticed that particularly when I had done a second search. heady233 I could never have found as I had been much too fixated on a wrong picture in my mind. I must have clicked on the correct bird avatar however numerous of times - particularly in the Forums when I was checking through posts in multiple-page threads. I must have spent hours working through those threads - particularly the ones like what OS are we using, what movie do we like, etc. etc.

As far as [FuN]goku is concerned.

I can't see the difference. Particularly since the most important difference between the two, the lettering, has been removed from the Avatar? You could probably argue that the hat is bigger in length at top - but that is only because the photo has been cut. I'd have thought in fairness that both should have been allowed as they are exact copies of one another when the lettering has been removed. The lettering was the only authentic difference between the two.

[FuN]goku

and

budazz

By the way, there are many more copies of marcuzzo than budazz had copies and if there had been a question of getting it wrong, I'd have thought marcuzzo's for me would have been the riskier choice to make than [FuN]goku's.

This is Marcuzzo's Avatar:

Here are the copies I found of marcuzzo's avatar - arowphin's was the closest - I had to think about this one but then picked Marcuzzo - so I thought that was a lucky guess whereas [FuN]goku's was a more calculated choice because of the lettering:

mele who joined on 30 September 2005

Zzz who joined on 17 December 2006

Arowphin who joined on 6 march 2007

Actually was quite interesting how many copies of existing avatars have been used by Frihosters. I don't think all of them were copied from one another however. They must have just found the same source of the Avatar when they had been searching for an Avatar to use.

Finally kudos to Bondings for a memberlist database that is in awesome shape. Think that is one part that really impressed me, how fast I was able to click through it. I first did a search by Total of Posts descending. Found the first 48 - and then made the remainder of ALL of the descending usernames a long-term search project over a period of almost three weeks. In the meanwhile I checked through multiple page threads in the Forum zeroing on the Phil&Rel Forum as I'd thought I'd seen the lady with the hat there .... in the end it DEFINITELY of course had never been there. Trying to use logic where a user with a Victorian lady with a hat Avatar would have made posts Very Happy Then after I had clicked through all of the memberlist items, a few days ago I restarted the Memberlist search but Join by Date ascending. I did 2007-2009 and then 2005 to half way 2006. Can't believe how many new members joined during 2005 and the beginning of 2006. Wonder where Bondings found all of them, or how they found Frihost. Like moving through a very special history of Frihost.

I also worked completely through ALL of the Introductions threads. Just checked and heady233 was there as well - and I recall this thread had me smiling as well:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-161143.html&highlight=#161143

Looks as though heady233 may have been one of the youngest - if not the youngest member at the time of joining Frihost. Anyway, I now have a great reason for remembering his Avatar. Smile
loremar
YEHEY!!! Dancing More Coins!!! Thanks Peterssidan

Quote:
Many of you erroneously picked budazz instead of [FuN]goku. Both avatars was very similar and I guess I made it unnecessary hard by removing the text in the bottom right corner of the avatar. I didn't know about budazz until later, or I would never have done it.

Budazz is actually smaller than [FuN]goku and the color seems to be more closer. But erasing the text really did the trick. Damn! I fall for it. How funny they're on the same page on the search results. I like Vincent Valentine because he's cool but I can't believe I'd hate him because of this.
deanhills
loremar wrote:
I like Vincent Valentine because he's cool but I can't believe I'd hate him because of this.
Was that the artist who did it? Did you find the original on the Web? As I found a number of similar ones in the Memberlist. Here are two user avatars in the avatar collection in my computer but I know there are others as well in the Memberlist - I came across quite a number of versions.

Ambitfire

Katarn
loremar
Deanhills wrote:
Anyway, as to a discussion on the avatars. Can't believe HOW MANY times I have clicked on heady233

I can't blame you for that. I think I have said before that this avatar was the most distorted of all. I thought when I chose heady233, it was the biggest gamble I made. I actually pictured it as a Dolphin. But I just went with it because the colors and size are the same.
Quote:
Interesting. Was that the artist who did it? Did you find the original? As I found a number of similar ones in the Memberlist.

Vincent Valentine is the character in the picture, he's the cool guy from the popular game Final Fantasy. That's probably why there's a lot of the same avatars because he's so popular.
I meant that the two avatars appeared in the same page in the memberlist arranged in descending total posts. If they didn't, Peterssidan could have not made the trick.

Speaking of memberlist. I actually only knew about it because you mentioned it in this thread:http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-131513.html#1062147
Haha, I should thank you. Very Happy
deanhills
I picked up on that one too. After you mentioned it. By the way there are two very similar ones for jabapyth too.

If one had gone much deeper into the database you'd have found them. Looks as though I made a note of one of the two:

Ikonoklast

Except it had writing on it ..... hehe ..... will check through my notes if I can find the other one. But suspect I may not have written it down.

Interesting experience. Threw myself so much into it, I'm completely and utterly exhausted. Complete rest needed over here.

Over and out! Very Happy
Peterssidan
deanhills wrote:
As far as [FuN]goku is concerned. I can't see the difference. Particularly since the most important difference between the two, the lettering, has been removed from the Avatar? You could probably argue that the hat is bigger in length at top - but that is only because the photo has been cut. I'd have thought in fairness that both should have been allowed as they are exact copies of one another when the lettering has been removed. The lettering was the only authentic difference between the two.

I thought that if you compare the correct avatar with the incorrect avatar you should be able to decide who is a better match. For [FuN]goku and budazz I thought it was possible (not easy) to do that. The avatar did have the same size as [FuN]goku. I know I could have resized the avatar but it was at least a sign. As for the cutting. I can't really cut the avatar to get things that was not in the original image. It could have been stretched or painted somehow but that is more unlikely because [FuN]goku is a better match without all that.

deanhills wrote:
By the way, there are many more copies of marcuzzo than budazz had copies and if there had been a question of getting it wrong, I'd have thought marcuzzo's for me would have been the riskier choice to make than [FuN]goku's.

The only avatar that was mistaken for marcuzzo's was Zzz.'s avatar. It was more zoomed in than marcuzzo's so it couldn't possible be the correct avatar. Arowphin's on the other hand is very similar and if someone would have given that answer I would probably have accepted it.
loremar
Hahaha. Poor Dean. Though I'm impressed how you found all these similar avatars. You must have scoured through the entire Frihost to be able to do that.
sysna
hmm i WWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNN Very Happy , actually i found all same avatars and i spent most of my time trying to find out which one is correct. for example between [FuN]goku and budazz i just focused on the distance between edge of picture and the right eye, you can see that this distance for budazz is a little when compared to [FuN]goku avatar, and this was how i found the correct answer.

Thanks Peterssidan ! waiting for more contests Very Happy
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
I thought that if you compare the correct avatar with the incorrect avatar you should be able to decide who is a better match. For [FuN]goku and budazz I thought it was possible (not easy) to do that. The avatar did have the same size as [FuN]goku. I know I could have resized the avatar but it was at least a sign. As for the cutting. I can't really cut the avatar to get things that was not in the original image. It could have been stretched or painted somehow but that is more unlikely because [FuN]goku is a better match without all that.
I think it was the lettering that prompted me to reject it. However with hindsight and in retrospect - if I had searched the Memberlist by "Joined Date" ascending, instead of "Total Posts" descending, I'd probably have spontaneously gone for [FuN]goku, lettering or no lettering. Like I instinctively went for marcuzzo. When I started with "Joined Date" ascending for the first time on last Sunday, [FuN]goku looked right to me. If I had not had budazz for as long in my list as I had, I'd have gone for [FuN]goku.

I still would have made a mistake with the heady233 Avatar as my mind was just too focused on what I thought I saw, but I'd have had a completely different approach if I had gone for the "Joined Date" route instead of "Total Posts".

Anyway, there is always a good part to this, as that Avatar had me searching through almost every user name in the Member list and an overwhelming number of posts. This is an amazing Forum, and rich in history, some excellent posts, and very interesting characters. Bondings has made some fantastic contributions to the Phil&Rel forum. So has Loyal and I discovered quite a number of really great contributors in the past. That heady233 is amazing. 10 years old! Completely self-assured and passionate about every thing. Wonder what has become of him? Smile
deanhills
loremar wrote:
Hahaha. Poor Dean. Though I'm impressed how you found all these similar avatars. You must have scoured through the entire Frihost to be able to do that.
Poor Dean indeed. I'm completely fatigued. Twisted Evil

sysna wrote:
hmm i WWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNN Very Happy , actually i found all same avatars and i spent most of my time trying to find out which one is correct. for example between [FuN]goku and budazz i just focused on the distance between edge of picture and the right eye, you can see that this distance for budazz is a little when compared to [FuN]goku avatar, and this was how i found the correct answer.
Great eye .... Smile

sysna wrote:
Agreed. We should really do some more contests like these. Great to have met you as well. Well done!
Ghost Rider103
sysna wrote:

I'm amazed at how someone so new to the forum won this contest. What was your strategy like?

Anyways, congrats to everyone you all did quite well. I noticed quite a few members avatars in there, though some of the users listed I've never even heard of.

Wish I had the time to join this, sounds like it was loads of fun. Would be awesome to see a round 2. PM me for donations if needed Very Happy

Congrats to everyone who participated.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Wish I had the time to join this, sounds like it was loads of fun. Would be awesome to see a round 2. PM me for donations if needed Very Happy

Congrats to everyone who participated.
You did miss a FANTASTIC contest Ghost Rider. And you're right, awesome that someone new could have invested so much of his quality time for winning the contest. Being new could have helped as he was not blinkered by "previous knowing", but if you read the guy's posts, he approached the competition with great finesse and lots of savvy. He certainly deserved to win the contest.
loremar
hahaha. Dean, your signature. That's very funny and epic at the same time very ironic. Applause
deanhills
loremar wrote:
hahaha. Dean, your signature. That's very funny and epic at the same time very ironic. Applause
Thanks Loremar .... I was very appropriately inspired .... Twisted Evil
Marcuzzo
Wow, nice contest. never knew other users have the same avatar... and these 3 guys were here before me.
I'll be searching for a new one now Embarassed
deanhills
Marcuzzo wrote:
Wow, nice contest. never knew other users have the same avatar... and these 3 guys were here before me.
I'll be searching for a new one now Embarassed
Your avatar is great Marcuzzo and feels like you and no one else. The other guys have not been around for ages, and I'd never have known if I had not gone as deep into the member list as I had. I also like the white and black assassin in your signature. Smile
Rajat_Pawar
Wow I need to panic and start working
trrohith
Nice avatars