FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which side of the Atlantic is best to live?

chasbeen
I have lived in North America for 10 years and am returning to the Uk
I like Uk best for a number of reasons
What's your favorite and why?
I will reveal all the secrets if you reply..
Blaster
I live in the US and have no experience with the UK... Although I do live really close to the Atlantic ocean. I can say I enjoy where I live however I really have no other place to base this off of.
deanhills
I've lived in Canada for many years, and have visited the UK often. I'd say I prefer the feeling of space I find in Canadian cities over that in European cities where it always feels as though there are too many people per square inch. I'm originally from the Southern Hemisphere, so for me that is still the best place in the world comparatively. Places like South Africa (except for its high violent crime rate), Australia and New Zealand are the best in terms of space and quality of life.
standready
chasbeen wrote:
I will reveal all the secrets if you reply..

You have secrets. Really? Do share!
I have no reference for the other side of the pond since I have lived in the States all my life. Did spend 6 weeks in London on a project once. 18 hours of work, couple at the pub then sleep. Can't tell much from that.
wellerchap
Britain's having a tough time at the moment....now far too many people here, the country's going broke trying to support them all & factoring in our rubbish weather doesn't help.
Never been to the US/Canada, so I can't compare, though I'd guess there's good and bad either side of the ocean.....love the thought of spending time in the wilderness of Canada though, if only to see what life's like without all the hustle-bustle that we have here in the UK.
ocalhoun
Well, I like horses and guns...
And on this side of the Atlantic, the former are cheaper (to care for), and the latter are much more legal... so...
(For that matter, I kinda doubt there are many places in the UK where I could do target shooting in the back yard, even if my guns were legal.)

wellerchap wrote:
...love the thought of spending time in the wilderness of Canada though, if only to see what life's like without all the hustle-bustle that we have here in the UK.

I highly recommend it! Nothing like wide-open spaces to really give a sense of freedom, nothing like wilderness to give a sense of adventure, nothing like the deep woods to give a sense of tranquility*, and nothing like a wilderness night sky to give a sense of wonder**...
(Just ease into it slowly, or get an experienced guide if you're really going wilderness, okay?)

*I've once been in woods so quiet I heard an unusual sound... took me a while to track down just what it was... I was hearing the sound of ants crawling about 10ft away.
**You think you know what the stars look like... but when you get to a place that has a real dark sky, without the skyglow of towns all around... It's amazing, being able to clearly see the milky way as the dominant feature in the sky, seeing meteors every few minutes -- not because of a shower or anything, just because now it's just dark enough that you can see the smaller ones... being able to pick out several satellites moving around... It really is amazing.
deanhills
wellerchap wrote:
Britain's having a tough time at the moment....now far too many people here, the country's going broke trying to support them all & factoring in our rubbish weather doesn't help.
Never been to the US/Canada, so I can't compare, though I'd guess there's good and bad either side of the ocean.....love the thought of spending time in the wilderness of Canada though, if only to see what life's like without all the hustle-bustle that we have here in the UK.
Sounds like a wonderful idea, particularly in British Columbia. Can get cold in the winter though, and the worst part is it stays cold for more months than are comfortable for someone who is not used to it. Very Happy
spinout
Q: Which side of the atlantic is best to live?
A: On top! Laughing
Bluedoll
The side that doesn't get wet. I find the only way to live on the other side is to wear long rubbers and then it isn't so bad but it can still be cold unless you have thick socks. Walking on the beach is nice if you are looking for clams or just want to breath the salty air. Depends if the tide is in or out though.
chasbeen
Yes but no but....
That sentence is from a British comedy program
You see the British love to moan but really they are not letting on what a great place it is to live
There's only one country I found the people happier and that was Holland.
Back to the point why is Gb/Europe better
1 there is more protection for the consumer
2 people appear more genuine(just my impression)
3 people appear more genuinely helpful

I just completed the purchase of a house in England and my wife and cat are living there while I tie things up in North America

Thankyou North America for helping appreciate my original country more.

North Amricans would probably prefer there own country as that's where they are from.

Personally I have a thirst for History and this is readily visible and Abundant in Europe/uk
ujjwalshrestha
I have lived in both side of Atlantic. There are things that are better in one place than other. However, if you make most out of where you live, you will stay happier.

Happiness lies in the mind of the beholder.
deanhills
ujjwalshrestha wrote:
I have lived in both side of Atlantic. There are things that are better in one place than other. However, if you make most out of where you live, you will stay happier.

I don't believe that completely. Yes, a large percentage is up to us of course. But there is also a percentage beyond a person's control. Like not being able to find a job because we're considered foreign perhaps, people would like us to prove ourselves from scratch. We may find for a strange reason that all of a sudden we don't like the weather that much. We thought we could leave our friends and family behind and then discovered that we aren't as comfortable with that as we thought we would have been. So may not be fully present in our new environment with logical consequences. Moving may be easy for some, more difficult for others.
chasbeen
I agree with deanhills more comprehensive answer
Thinking clearly about this situation..
If I put aside my prejudice associated with the fact I come from England
I still say the Uk is actually better to live

I am more comfortable in a group of Irish, Scottish and English as compared with a similar group oh Americans and Canadians

My theory is that all these people were brought up in a random set of circumstances but the Uk ones had a better infrastructure to thrive..

Users...
Believe it or not
eclipious
I think it is all about what you make of each. Both sides have their pros and cons and really it also depends on your preference of what you like. I personally enjoy living in the US as there are many beautiful cities and attractions to go; however, I have been to Europe many times and I really enjoy the deep history and culture that exists.

As ujjwalshrestha said:
ujjwalshrestha wrote:
phantom_of_com9
who cares anyways?!? both sides are good!!
Very Happy Laughing Wink
chasbeen
AHA a student of the subject.
Thou who knows little entertains the feeling of knowing much... chasbeen just now!
Navigator
I havent been to the UK yet, but some friends say that it can be quite expensive though.
chasbeen
Right now it is cheaper to go there than ever before because you get more 's for your $ than ever before. That's right folks! Please don't push in front in the line up (English equivalent is word is Queue)
when trying to get to the plane.
Josso
Navigator wrote:
I havent been to the UK yet, but some friends say that it can be quite expensive though.

It is. The high tax pushes almost anything you can imagine up but on the upside we have lots of public services and fallback schemes for homeless/unfortunate circumstances. This won't particually help you as a tourist though even if the exchange rates are in your favour unfortunately.

Quote:
Yes but no but....
That sentence is from a British comedy program

Yeah not the greatest example of a british comedy there. I would like to take this oppertunity to say this: blackadder, peep show, green wing, only fools and horses, red dwarf, spaced. Ahhhhhhh that's better.

Quote:
1 there is more protection for the consumer
2 people appear more genuine(just my impression)
3 people appear more genuinely helpful

I was going to disagree with three but I suppose I know what you mean. GENUINELY is the important word there. You get better customer service everywhere though, almost too much - like in the UK people don't really bother a lot of the time in clothes shops etc because 99% of people will say "I'm just browsing". When I have visited the states in the past it always takes me by surprise it's like:

*casually walk into store*

"HELLO SIR: I WILL DAZZLE YOU WITH MY CHARISMA, PLEASE BUY THIS... PLEAAAAASE, WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR? WHERE ARE YOU FROM? WHATS YOUR LIFE STORY? I'LL TELL YOU ABOUT MYSELF"

It's all very friendly but I was litreally just going into the store to quickly check out whats going down. Did anyone else notice anything like this?

Also in answer to original thread: I'm blatently going to say UK. My bloodline have been lurking around here for 800 years or so. I'm very biased. The original spelling of my sirname goes back to whenever that king made sirnames a legal requirement (I believe 11th or 12th century).
ocalhoun
Josso wrote:

Also in answer to original thread: I'm blatently going to say UK. My bloodline have been lurking around here for 800 years or so.

Hm... some of my ancestry has been on this side of the Atlantic since the last ice age...
I wonder if that explains some of my bias?
armanfaruqui
The side that takes you to the bottom of Atlantics.