FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Looking back in time

Brockenspectre
What if instead of using equipment already in space to look outwards (e.g. Voyager), we used it to look back at Earth. Then if we could transmit images back to Earth faster than the speed of light (The Higgs Boson particle may be the start of new technology) the information we would receive would be from the past. The faster we could transmit / receive the information and the further away the equipment was, the further back we would be able to see?

Voyager is approx .00183 light years away, if it could transmit back at 100000 times faster than the speed of light we would receive information from 183 light years ago. I guess people are struggling with the concept of travelling just a bit faster than light or thinking about physically doing it. The information we need to do this might already be traveling that fast, we would just have to detect it.
Ankhanu
How do you propose that information would be transmitted faster than c? I'm not following your reasoning here at all.
kelseymh
Brockenspectre wrote:
What if instead of using equipment already in space to look outwards (e.g. Voyager), we used it to look back at Earth.

We did:

The rest of your post was nonsense.
ocalhoun
Brockenspectre wrote:
the information we would receive would be from the past.

There's a simpler way to do this.

1: Write down the information you want to transmit to the future.
2: Wait.

Being able to send information the other direction* would be much more interesting... and much more difficult.

*From the future to the past.