FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Server 4 currently down (old topic, it it working again)

Bondings
Server 4 seems to be down at the moment and I issued a restart request so it should normally/hopefully be back up within half an hour or so. My apologies for the problems.

Edit: The server was compromised and I will need to restore the files so it will take quite a while for it to be online (I don't know how long). More information below.

Edit2: the restore is finished. Please check everything and report any problems!
Dementei
I don't like Server 4 Sad
oreogami
Ah, no wonder why my forum was down. Sad
Dementei
So any response yet?
johans
ohh.. finally bonding is here.

when i check my site today .... i dont see any display... i think SERVER 4 is always done compared with other server.

I hope bonding will resolved it as soon as possible..
Robert_Redbeard
Thanks for your attention to the problem, sir. I was wondering why I couldn't go work on it. Just have to do some of the offline stuff til it comes back online.
Dementei
Hope it just needs a reboot, I got some pretty important sites on here.. may I switch to a different server, #4 always has problems.
GuidanceReader
I am assuming the server is still down, as my stuff is not accessible and I get the server down page... I am wondering how long for, as this affects my business Sad Is there anything I can do to help?
abhizz
Waiting for the normal stage Cool
foumy6
yea I hope it comes up soon I REALLY need to get into my control pannel
GuidanceReader
I am having to run my business via email Sad It's creating a heap of more work for me today... Razz All part of the parcel I guess. I am just thankful this is the first (and only) time I've had this happen to me so far. I've learned to have a backup page somewhere (so people can still pay me at least)
cybersa
Thanks for your information.
I think,Bondings will revert back as soon as possible.

I tweeted about this on Twitter.Bondings already did that.
https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23Frihost
https://twitter.com/#!/frihost
ankurthakur
Oh... Thansk for the info...

But it has been more than hours and its still down... Sad

EDITED :

Oh... I just read on http://americancensorship.org/ :

Quote:
On Wednesday Jan. 18th thousands of sites will go dark to protest SOPA & PIPA, two US bills racing through Congress that threaten prosperity, online security, and freedom of expression.

Is it due to that ? I am sure...
GuidanceReader
Thank you for all the information so far.. I'll inform my clients.
Bondings
I have some bad news for users of Server 4. According to the datacenter the server was compromised (meaning hacked) and the OS will need to be reloaded. I have no idea how this happened.

Anyway, the datacenter will reload the OS on a new hard drive and I'll try to restore the data from either the old hard drive and/or from the backups. However considering the whole server was compromised I will have to be really careful and this will take a long time unfortunately. I hope none of the user files was modified.

The OS should be reloaded within a few hours according to the update I just got. I don't know how long it will take from there.

I'm really sorry for what happened. I'll try to update with more information/status update later on.

And no, this has nothing to do with SOPA, I definitely would not take a server down with other people's website and certainly not without prior notification.
ankurthakur
Ok man... Thanks for this useful information... Wink

Luckily, after 17th Dec 2011, I made my next Back up on 17th Jan 2012 Razz
davidv
RCS guys. RCS.
GuidanceReader
Thank you for keeping us up to date.. I am a bit worried about what this means for my site/business though. I have relatively up to date back ups on my computer, but the down time will take a chunk out of my earnings. Is there any estimated time frame before I can access my CP (with or without the files) or an alternative means to get me past this that someone can suggest?

Any help from anyone appreciated
Gitesh
I have not taken backup of any websites., is there any chance of loosing all the data? Sad Sad
Bondings
I still haven't received the server back yet, I hope it will be soon that I can start restoring the accounts.

Gitesh wrote:
I have not taken backup of any websites., is there any chance of loosing all the data? Sad Sad

Most likely not. If everything is correct with the backup, it is fairly recent (about 1 day old and a part of that day it downtime). It will probably contain removed data from the last months, though. The actual data on the hard drive should also not be gone, but that might have been tampered with or completely wiped - I don't know what happened with it until I get the server back.

@GuidanceReader, it might take a while, especially to restore the files. Hopefully by tomorrow it's finished. If you wish, I can give you an account on Server 2/3, but it will be without your subdomain. And if you wish to put your domains on it, you'll have to change the nameserver - which can take quite a while to work for everyone (something like 4-24 hours). So yes it might be quicker (definitely if the restore takes long), but not that much and quite a hassle.
abhizz
Bondings wrote:
I have some bad news for users of Server 4. According to the datacenter the server was compromised (meaning hacked) and the OS will need to be reloaded. I have no idea how this happened.

Anyway, the datacenter will reload the OS on a new hard drive and I'll try to restore the data from either the old hard drive and/or from the backups. However considering the whole server was compromised I will have to be really careful and this will take a long time unfortunately. I hope none of the user files was modified.

The OS should be reloaded within a few hours according to the update I just got. I don't know how long it will take from there.

I'm really sorry for what happened. I'll try to update with more information/status update later on.

And no, this has nothing to do with SOPA, I definitely would not take a server down with other people's website and certainly not without prior notification.

I'm afraid is it will affect my current website's status? i havent backup!!

sorry edited!! admin gave thee answer 20 sec before!! I'm slow Shocked
sixstring_psycho
Thanks for the info on this. I kept getting the DNS lookup error and was wondering if I did something wrong. Then I decided to come to this forum to see if it was on the other end. I know these things happen, and sometimes cannot be preventable. But what really sucks is my slow connection (on my end)... I was about to backup my files, but the web was crawling so slow that it was next to impossible! I wish we had DSL (in which the people across the highway have) option instead of just satellite. I hope everyone's site has not been tampered with and will be fine. Once again, thanks for keeping us informed and up to date.
GuidanceReader
Bondings wrote:

@GuidanceReader, it might take a while, especially to restore the files. Hopefully by tomorrow it's finished. If you wish, I can give you an account on Server 2/3, but it will be without your subdomain. And if you wish to put your domains on it, you'll have to change the nameserver - which can take quite a while to work for everyone (something like 4-24 hours). So yes it might be quicker (definitely if the restore takes long), but not that much and quite a hassle.

Thanks Bondings, I've sorted out a temporary solution, that should do me a couple of days. I've uploaded my backups on my old server (which sucks balls as you have to use their templates), so my clients can purchase, and we'll be running directly out of Facebook until it's all fixed. Thank you very much for being onto this as quick as you can and thank you very much for keeping us well informed.
Blummer
I've made backups 2 days ago. Still hope we'll get everything back the way it was, thank you for sharing ongoing status of recovery.
foumy6
hopefully it is back up by tomorrow I have some work for school I need to do on my site.
Bondings
Unfortunately I still haven't received the server back. Apparently "in the next few hours" means a lot more hours than I thought. Rolling Eyes
Peterssidan
Why is this thread (this page) loading terrible slow? Took minutes until the whole page was loaded. This is very strange because other threads loads as quickly as usual.
Bondings
Peterssidan wrote:
Why is this thread (this page) loading terrible slow? Took minutes until the whole page was loaded. This is very strange because other threads loads as quickly as usual.

Maybe because the signature image with the server uptime has problems loading due to Server 4 not responding? It could be that your browser has problems with that. I use Firefox and it loads the page first and then after a while the image appears (or doesn't).
crystalkey
I was wondering what was going on with the domains being hosted here. I thought that SOPA had something to do with it but apparently not ...
belltown
I wasn't expecting this when I signed up for a Frihost account a few weeks ago. Everything I had heard about the site led me to believe that it was one of the more reliable sites out there. Hopefully, this is just a spurious once-in-a-lifetime even, although as a precaution I've switched my web site to another host.
crystalkey
belltown wrote:
I wasn't expecting this when I signed up for a Frihost account a few weeks ago. Everything I had heard about the site led me to believe that it was one of the more reliable sites out there. Hopefully, this is just a spurious once-in-a-lifetime even, although as a precaution I've switched my web site to another host.

I hope so too. I think that backups should be done via off-site FTP. I'm looking into a script that will do this on a daily basis. This may not be necessary *if* backups are done here on a regular basis and can be restored easily. Time will tell. I will keep monitoring http://www.cybermilitia.net/frihoststatus/ for updates to this situation ....
crystalkey
davidv wrote:
RCS guys. RCS.

Just curious. What does RCS stand for? This is a new one for me ...
Bondings
I still haven't received the server back yet. It's up (responding to ping again), but probably not setup yet. It will most likely be for tomorrow then, unfortunately.
Hexes
Bondings wrote:

I have a question according to data safety. If it was hacked so all our data was stolen? I mean theoretically hacker has access to all our passwords? (I am talking about people using any cms/forums/other systems where sensitive data is stored in files) Some of them are encrypted but some not. Should we be aware?
Dementei
Hexes wrote:
I have a question according to data safety. If it was hacked so all our data was stolen? I mean theoretically hacker has access to all our passwords? (I am talking about people using any cms/forums/other systems where sensitive data is stored in files) Some of them are encrypted but some not. Should we be aware?

I'd like to know that as well, it's probably hard to tell in this point of time.
All I know is the moment it pops back up I am making backups.
miteY
I was surprised when I got the server not found error. I joined Frihost just a few days ago and I hope this not a common experience here.

But I would like to know is it that server 2 and 3 are more reliable than server 4?

Anyway, I appreciate the concern and prompt response of Bondings and thank everyone here for identifying with the problem at hand.
Robert_Redbeard
miteY wrote:
I was surprised when I got the server not found error. I joined Frihost just a few days ago and I hope this not a common experience here.

But I would like to know is it that server 2 and 3 are more reliable than server 4?

Anyway, I appreciate the concern and prompt response of Bondings and thank everyone here for identifying with the problem at hand.

As far as I know, this is not a common thing atound here. I set up a mirror of my site just in case. It will also give me a place to test changes once the other server is back online.
johans
ohh.. as i check my site today i think server 4 is still down..

i have read the messages posted with Bondings and i think it requires more time.. and I hope it restores correctly because my backup is old.. grrr... that was last years back up..

As of now, no recent update posted with Bondings.. still waiting to restore the site.
lilysc1
Hopefully Server 4 Comes back up since I just sent a request for a website on Server 4 and I'm guessing It won't be approved until Server 4 comes back up. I really want to start testing out all the scripting languages on my website.
Robert_Redbeard
Well to hell with HostCrypt for my mirror. Nothing works. I installed 3 diff CMS. Nothing!

I installed the CMS it offered in it's add-on area. Nothing!

They must call it Host CRYPT for good reason. Everything in it is dead.

Oh, I got my static HTML to work. But no PHP or anything else.

Please Bondings. Save me. I'm going through site withdrawls.
oreogami
Is there any chance that our passwords we used on our websites and stuff are being tampered with? I had never had my site go down for a hacking incident.
When the server comes back online, would it be a good idea to do a fresh install of my forum software (fluxbb) and use a old mysql backup?
Thanks.
foumy6
belltown wrote:

this is the first time I have had it happen since I joined so it is not a common thing at all
belltown
foumy6 wrote:
belltown wrote:

this is the first time I have had it happen since I joined so it is not a common thing at all

I'm glad to hear that. I hope the problems are resolved speedily. More importantly, I would hope that they get to the bottom of whatever it was that caused the obliteration of the server so that steps may be taken to prevent such an occurrence in the future, particularly if the problem was indeed caused by some nefarious hacker out there rather than something like a hardware failure or software bug. While hardware failures are rare and software bugs can be tracked down and fixed, malicious acts by others can be harder to stop particularly if they know their methods succeeded the first time.
drunkenkoz
I've been with Frihost for a while now and this is the first time I'm seeing it get hacked. Do you have any idea if any personal information was stolen during the compromise?
crystalkey
Like everyone here, we all appreciate the work being done to bring the server back online.
pauline5765
Please have the server back. I haven't done any back-ups as well.

In case Server 4 will take around a couple of days more, can we be temporarily transferred to other servers (1,2,3)?
jilbs
We are positive it will be back the soonest time possible.
Also, I appreciate the service frihost is giving. I can patiently wait.
More power to frihost Smile i know Bondings is doing his best to have the server back. ^^
Bondings
Unfortunately I still haven't received anything yet about the server, so I still can't start. But I hope it will be really soon now.

Hexes wrote:
Bondings wrote:

First of all, I don't know what happened yet. All they told me was that the server was compromised and attacking other servers. Hence if something got stolen - no idea. But usually this kind of attack is rather to get a server/bots and use them to attack other server (have more of them) and then spam/ddos or do other stuff. Only the account passwords have a good chance to be affected.

Of course you have to presume the worst and it would be better for everyone on Server 4 to change their hosting account password (although they are encrypted, the shorter ones are easy to recover or they can capture it at login). And if you used the same password for something else, you should probably change that one too.

Now about actual data being stolen, while that is possible it's not very likely considering there is a lot of data on the server and it would take quite some time to transfer it away, besides most of it would be of no use for them, I presume. Still considering I don't know what happened it's hard to tell.
rsbw
Hi all,

I am also affected by the failures, now I've just looked at my domain barged www.rsbw.tk because times is no error message and I www.rsbw.tk:2222 can regain access to the Direct Admin, but my password is not.

If I go now to http://www.rsbw.frihost.org/ it does not come from there and I do not about Direct Admin

There are now more information?

regards
Lutz Maier

Sorry for my bad english
Bondings
rsbw wrote:
Hi all,

I am also affected by the failures, now I've just looked at my domain barged www.rsbw.tk because times is no error message and I www.rsbw.tk:2222 can regain access to the Direct Admin, but my password is not.

If I go now to http://www.rsbw.frihost.org/ it does not come from there and I do not about Direct Admin

regards
Lutz Maier

Sorry for my bad english

The server seems to be back up, but I am still waiting for the details before I can restore the accounts. I have no new information and I don't know why this is taking so long unfortunately.
crystalkey
I found this post about Server 4. It's worth reading, rather than regurgitating the issues here once again ... http://www.frihost.com/users/Bondings/blog/vp-122342.html
Peterssidan
crystalkey wrote:
I found this post about Server 4. It's worth reading, rather than regurgitating the issues here once again ... http://www.frihost.com/users/Bondings/blog/vp-122342.html

What do you mean? That's another incident unrelated to this one.
GuidanceReader
Just a quick question, if I have a page that I added to my site the day before the crash, is there much chance of it being recovered? I've just realised that I haven't backed up my new terms and condition page, and want to know if it's worth waiting to see if it was recovered, or attempt the horrible process of rewriting it. It (from what I can see uploading my backups onto a mirror site) is the only page I have not backed up.
abhizz
Bondings wrote:
rsbw wrote:
Hi all,

regards
Lutz Maier

Sorry for my bad english

The server seems to be back up, but I am still waiting for the details before I can restore the accounts. I have no new information and I don't know why this is taking so long unfortunately.

Its really sad!! I havent backup my site, now its taking so long!! Please tell me bondings will they definitely give that backups or not?
Bondings
GuidanceReader wrote:
Just a quick question, if I have a page that I added to my site the day before the crash, is there much chance of it being recovered? I've just realised that I haven't backed up my new terms and condition page, and want to know if it's worth waiting to see if it was recovered, or attempt the horrible process of rewriting it. It (from what I can see uploading my backups onto a mirror site) is the only page I have not backed up.

It might or might not be on the backup, but normally the actual data shouldn't be lost (depending on what happened when the server was compromised).
GuidanceReader
Thanks, I'll keep praying then, and leave it until we find out....
davidv
GuidanceReader wrote:

I have a question for you. Why don't you have your own server setup on your machine? If you do, why wasn't your source stored in a local repository? and if it is, why weren't your new terms and conditions page stored in that repository?

The only set of problems I see with the server being down is site availability which could consequently lead to revenue loss, damage to integrity, loss of generated data and the possibility of the exposure of sensitive data stored on the server. You shouldn't even need to worry about your source. You should of saved it at the very least on your local machine, never mind uploading somewhere else. Maybe even on an external device? Do you not have a flash drive? An external hdd? A DVD? A CD? A flopping disk for god sake?

You said you may have to rewrite your terms and conditions. I take it you mean the actual terms and conditions rather than the code. Did you type them up on the fly? You're running a business, surely the terms and conditions were important enough to of been saved on in file on your computer (not on the server but ON YOUR computer), reviewed by other people and then published? Do you not have a system in place? Surely you use revision control software? Maybe you should invest some time and money into GitHub, at least svn or at least establish some sort of contingency plan? Isn't this the stuff you learn in 10th grade? I mean, common sense stuff, guys. What to do if things go wrong?

I'm sorry if my post seemed discourteous but it just looks like poor business practice to me. This might be a wake up call and a review to how you run your business.
Bondings
At last some good news. I got the login details for the server and will begin checking it.
Robert_Redbeard
Bondings wrote:
At last some good news. I got the login details for the server and will begin checking it.

WooHoo!!!

Thanks for the good news, sir. I was gettign tired of not being on the server I am used to working with. Took as much time with the mirror I put up just learning the new server's setup. Not to mention doing the installs.

Good news to my ears.
Segia
Glad to see we΄re on the way back (or at least, that's what I understand from your post). Thanks for the effort!
inoshi
Yeah I saw this yesterday, and found mOrpheuS's link: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-59449.html and url http://www.cybermilitia.net/frihoststatus/ under the server status thread.

Thanks mOrph. Anyhow, it appears that the Twitter downtime feed is not posted too AND I thought that maybe Frihost was participating in the SOPA protest yesterday by shutting server down . . .

Worked for Me! Surprised

Inoshi
inoshi
Peterssidan wrote:
crystalkey wrote:

Yes the date is 2011 . . . but is worth reading as it infers best practices for clients.
crystalkey
Peterssidan wrote:
crystalkey wrote:

The incident is indeed unrelated but the thread answers the same questions (and more) and defines the real issue of webhosts and the internet.
Bondings
I'm first investigating how the system got compromised. From a first look it seems like the hacker simply logged in as root (in one try) and then tried to infect (or ddos or whatever the script did that he used) some famous websites/servers like facebook.

Either he knew the password or there was some exploit I guess. I don't get it. The system was pretty updated and the password should have been too.
crystalkey
Looks like things are coming back slowly but surely ....
leac3
Hi @Bondings. Is the server down yet? Since 18th, I can't access my website nor FTP nor CPanel. Well I'm only interested in FTP and HTTP. Very Happy
Bondings
I'm still checking everything and have already started with the restore.

They claim it might have been a vulnerable kernel. I don't know about that, though. Although it must have been something.
Bondings
I got the databases to work - at least from my tests. A lot of other files still need to be restored, though.
deanhills
I clicked on some of the Websites in Server 4 and they come up with a single Times Roman line on a blank page:
Quote:
Apache is functioning normally
Ryox
Same thing as @Deanhill, when I try to login. It doesn't even give a error message but it won't login lol...

weird, but than again.. Bondings ain't done yet!
Blummer
It now say Apache is functioning normally. Ok will the files and dbs be restored?
Bondings
Blummer wrote:
It now say Apache is functioning normally. Ok will the files and dbs be restored?

I'm currently busy restoring the files. The database should be fine already.

About logging into DirectAdmin, the permissions/ownerships of the configuration files are probably causing the login not to work - I still have to fix those. And maybe it's better that it doesn't work yet considering not all required files are there (I mean it would be a mess).
Blummer
That's fine. Thank you. I suppose many will ask the same, couldn't stop myself from doing this, sorry. Smile
crystalkey
Let's not rush our gracious host. We all want things to go smoothly. I'd rather wait until tomorrow and find out that everything is working normally, rather than find out that files and directories are missing or corrupt.

@Bondings, take whatever time you need, and excuse our impatience Smile
GuidanceReader
davidv wrote:
GuidanceReader wrote:

I have a question for you. Why don't you have your own server setup on your machine? If you do, why wasn't your source stored in a local repository? and if it is, why weren't your new terms and conditions page stored in that repository?

The only set of problems I see with the server being down is site availability which could consequently lead to revenue loss, damage to integrity, loss of generated data and the possibility of the exposure of sensitive data stored on the server. You shouldn't even need to worry about your source. You should of saved it at the very least on your local machine, never mind uploading somewhere else. Maybe even on an external device? Do you not have a flash drive? An external hdd? A DVD? A CD? A flopping disk for god sake?

You said you may have to rewrite your terms and conditions. I take it you mean the actual terms and conditions rather than the code. Did you type them up on the fly? You're running a business, surely the terms and conditions were important enough to of been saved on in file on your computer (not on the server but ON YOUR computer), reviewed by other people and then published? Do you not have a system in place? Surely you use revision control software? Maybe you should invest some time and money into GitHub, at least svn or at least establish some sort of contingency plan? Isn't this the stuff you learn in 10th grade? I mean, common sense stuff, guys. What to do if things go wrong?

I'm sorry if my post seemed discourteous but it just looks like poor business practice to me. This might be a wake up call and a review to how you run your business.

This is a brand new business venture. I am still learning things. Technically I am yet to be an actual business, I haven't established enough to be allowed to call myself one in my country (I have checked with my accountant). I used a terms and conditions generator to produce my terms and conditions, and then, yes, modified it on the go after posting the html. I don't have an automatic save to my computer, but usually save it as I modify it on my website, but the program I use was giving me issues so I had to restart my computer and forgot... I am also very new at computer code, not having learned any of what you said in 10th grade... at least I DO back up my stuff, which I can't say for everyone who has my experience.

Sorry if this is unprofessional in your eyes.
Ryox
crystalkey wrote:
Let's not rush our gracious host. We all want things to go smoothly. I'd rather wait until tomorrow and find out that everything is working normally, rather than find out that files and directories are missing or corrupt.

@Bondings, take whatever time you need, and excuse our impatience Smile

haha, yea what crystalkey said. Smile

People just need to learn to have patience! as what crystal said, I would have it working than corrupted and have him screw up something else just because people are trying to rush him!
johans
SERVER 4 is running and up now but mysql is still DOWN.

i think this is the 3rd day that server 4 is still down..

I hope mysql will be back to normal now...

all of as are on waiting mode to restore and back to normal.

Currently we are all monitoring on the progress of the server

Have a Great day to all us waiting to resolve the issue.

Shocked
crystalkey
Yup. All 3 of my static sites are up. The MySQL sites are coming back, hopefully soon ... Smile
Dementei
I am very grateful to have Bondings as our admin, as others have said lets just be patient everything will be settled here shortly I'm sure.
Ryox
Thank god! Thank you Bondings!!!!!!

You are a life saver! We got our site from his backups, Thankfully he was able to restore what we could get..

We are blessed to have such a amazing guy like Bondings!!!
inoshi
Site's back and looks as fresh as ever thanks Bondngs and Frihost!
drunkenkoz
My website is back up and running bondings, thank you. Can you let us know when the MySQL will be operational again?
Segia
Back up as well, just an error connecting to the database, which would be quite logical given the MySQL downtime. Going to bed now (2AM here), hopefully things'll be running smoothly when I wake up. Smile Thanks a lot for the effort!
Robert_Redbeard
Well, I just installed a new DB and my site is back online and working. I also reinstalled the whoel CMS. I needed to start over anyway.

But it is all working like a charm so far.Even got my header working with no gaps in the tables. The first try.

I'm quite proud of myself. It taught me a valuable lesson. Never do manually what you can use an app for doing right the first time. LOL!!!
sixstring_psycho
Awesome!! Things seem to be working so far. Have to make a backup ASAP. I have learned my lesson, and I am glad everything seems to be o.k. Thank you Bondings and everyone helping! Hope you can figure out how they did it so it can be preventable for them to get back in the same way they did! Once again.. THANKS!!

Should we change both our U.N.'s and Passwords?
sixstring_psycho
sixstring_psycho wrote:
Awesome!! Things seem to be working so far. Have to make a backup ASAP. I have learned my lesson, and I am glad everything seems to be o.k. Thank you Bondings and everyone helping! Hope you can figure out how they did it so it can be preventable for them to get back in the same way they did! Once again.. THANKS!!

Should we change both our U.N.'s and Passwords?

Nevermind.. got too excited because my site came up. But can't login to CPanel. But I see things are progressing good.... Keep up the good work man!
abhizz
Full problem in my wordpresss site! error in establishing database connection!
Robert_Redbeard
abhizz wrote:

May not help. But since I didn't have much on mine yet to lose, I just made a new one and loaded what I had for back up into it. Reloaded the whole site just in case something got messed up.
Ryox
abhizz wrote:

MySql is still offline, be patient.
GuidanceReader
Thank you, Thank you Thank you... I am very grateful for all you've done Bondings!! All my site is what I hoped for. Can't ask for a better service, let alone of one that is free! I appreciate how quickly you were on this matter, and for the great communication in keeping us informed.
Bondings
My apologies about the delay. My internet connection stopped working. I'm on it again.
Bondings
I think that I corrected all the permissions for the databases back to the original state, apart for Robert_Redbeard, where I changed the password of your cms to the new database one (since you created a new one), is that ok?
lovescience
Thank you! Very Happy

Everything is back!

It was like my website went to a vacation. Laughing
Bondings
Everyone please check now what is working and what not!
deanhills
I'm not on server 4 but just want to say thank you for all of the hard work. I was following the thread from the beginning and it read like a thriller that turned into a James Bond rescue mission, brilliantly executed as per usual. Very happy that you are around. Guess you were up on a Frihost all-nighter fixing everyone's Websites individually. Almost like they were your own.

Have you managed to get to the bottom of what caused all of it?
daikirai
the index page of my site works perfectly but when I enter the CMS, I got this:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@infantrum.info and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/2 Server at ezine.infantrum.info Port 80

I run Drupal 7.0 with OpenPublish addon. I have no problem with restoring from my backup or reinstalling the entire CMS, however. But if I don't have to do it I'll be grateful.
davidv
I'm still getting a "Failed to open page" error. I removed my domain and then added it again to see if maybe something would change, sadly no. I also removed the frihost name server from my NameCheap account to use another service but added it back soon after. It's been maybe 3 - 4 hours past the 24hrs waiting period. Everything seems to be fine on my NameCheap account but it's worth double checking.

sixstring_psycho
My webpage is up and working correctly, but I cannot log into CPanel. When I try to log in, this is what I get:

http://www.sixstringpsycho.frihost.org/config/ brings up the, "500 Internal Server Error - The server encountered an internet error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request"

http://184.95.62.146:2222/ goes to the login page put tells me, "Ivalid login. Please verify your Username and Password."

http://cp.frihost.org/ brings up the, "Sorry 'cp.frihost.org' does not exist or is not available." With a Yahoo search page under it.

Any ideas??
Blummer
For me everything works. I can't even describe in words, what an amazing job admin has done. So nice to see people who have a real sense of responsibility. Thank you so much!
Segia
Works like a charm - cheers!
Bondings
@davidv, it should be ns1.frihost.org and ns2.frihost.org for Server 4.
Bondings
@deanhills, no I didn't find anything other than the hacker logged in as root without any problems. Probably due to an exploit he made this possible.

@sixstring_psycho, I fixed the /config/ shortcut now. However your usual login should work. Do you want me to give you a new password?

@daikiri, could you please provide me the url where you get the error? Your domain doesn't seem to work for me at the moment and I can't seem to find the cms. By the way, for an internal server error, it's most likely something to do with permissions (change them to 755 or 644 and not 777) and you can find it in the error log in DirectAdmin (statistics/logs).

Others, please also check if everything works: email, ftp, mysql, DirectAdmin and your website!
cybersa
I checked following
FTP is working both upload and download
Website is working
Email I can send email from frihost but not able to send email from Google to frihost.
Error msg:
Quote:
Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

satheesh@cybapps.com

Technical details of permanent failure: Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 authentication required (state 14).

----- Original message -----

MIME-Version: 1.0 Received: by 10.204.153.28 with SMTP id i28mr12006931bkw.136.1327063275154; Fri, 20 Jan 2012 04:41:15 -0800 (PST) Received: by 10.204.229.204 with HTTP; Fri, 20 Jan 2012 04:41:15 -0800 (PST) Received: by 10.204.229.204 with HTTP; Fri, 20 Jan 2012 04:41:15 -0800 (PST) In-Reply-To: <CAB1deDWjzunisy6Qur+ d91fefmgKfnXO0JAEXZpisOXuDoFpv A@mail.gmail.com> References: <htmj6odsoaiu6welw1mqnv02. 1327063148874@email.android.com> <CAB1deDWjzunisy6Qur+ d91fefmgKfnXO0JAEXZpisOXuDoFpv A@mail.gmail.com> Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 18:11:15 +0530 Message-ID: <CAB1deDXpzX-SY+tL_ xsxiw1qFxX1DeFPQ+ L2fSKLfV7HkmEgMA@mail.gmail.com> Subject: Re: Hi From: Satheesh Kumar R <flash4satheesh@gmail.com> To: Satheeshkumar <satheesh@cybapps.com> Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary= 0015175def8a1c2cbf04b6f4ff5d
sixstring_psycho
Awesome! Thank you Bindings... And yea, if you don't mind I would like a new Password whenever you have the time.
AsadAnsari
Thank You Bonding You are very caring for Us..

I am Truly Inspired with your efforts..
foumy6
my site seems to be working again though I havn't been able to check my cpannel yet.
foumy6
Just checked and I cannot get to my cpanel from any of the links under account
Navigator
I have 4 sites hosted on server 4 and 2 are down, the other ones are working just fine.
daikirai
Bondings wrote:
@deanhills, no I didn't find anything other than the hacker logged in as root without any problems. Probably due to an exploit he made this possible.

@sixstring_psycho, I fixed the /config/ shortcut now. However your usual login should work. Do you want me to give you a new password?

@daikiri, could you please provide me the url where you get the error? Your domain doesn't seem to work for me at the moment and I can't seem to find the cms. By the way, for an internal server error, it's most likely something to do with permissions (change them to 755 or 644 and not 777) and you can find it in the error log in DirectAdmin (statistics/logs).

Others, please also check if everything works: email, ftp, mysql, DirectAdmin and your website!

I tried to restore my backup and move to a new address, http://ezine.infantrum.info. Previously before the server error hit it was in http://ezine.infantrum.info/beta/. I visited the error log also, but all I got was this blank page:

PS : is there any way to make spoiler in this forum? the screenshot may be too big ^^;;
Bondings
@daikirai, the problem was that FollowSymLinks in the .htaccess file caused a problem, I have change the configuration now so that it is not giving an error anymore.

I think the reason why the error is not showing up is because it is on a subdomain and I don't know how you can view those error logs unless you make the subdomain an additional domain (through add domain).

What I do find weird is that I am not able to access your website itself, online the ezine subdomain. Is that normal or is that caused by the server?

@foumy6, do you mean you don't see http://184.95.62.146:2222/ or that your login isn't accepted (and which error do you get)? Maybe I'll have to change your password. What about ftp is your password working there? If not I'll give you a new password.

@cybersa, I made some changes to the mail system. Could you please check if it is working fine now?

@sixstring_psycho, sent.
cybersa
Still having that problem.
rjraaz
@Bonding does this exploit due to of that reason that i were discussed you in PM or anything else. Hope that was not one.

Second thing is that i got phpBB fatal error related to database while accessing forum.
Bondings
cybersa wrote:
Still having that problem.

Is it fixed now? It seems that I forgot to replace 2 files with the domains and domain owners for the mail (I created the new ones, but didn't swap it with the old, I guess these stupid stuff happens when you have to do it during the night).

@rjraaz, no most likely no, that was about the phpinfo page on another server 5 years ago. About the forum though, which url, I'll look at it.
foumy6
it works now I was clicking on the link you posted but getting firefox saying there was a server error
cybersa
Now email is working.
Tested both sending and receiving.
Thanks for your work.
johans
Thank you Bondings..

My site is back to normal and see any problem on it.

For me the restoration of database and files are perfect and fast, Imagine all users in Frihost and it restores perfect.

Thank you again and Have a great day to all of us.
Dementei
Everything works for me, instantly made a backup of all my sites and mysql databases, thank you Bondings for your hard work to get us all on track and to fix each of our problems, truly one of the best admins anyone could ask for. Wink
Blummer
Ok, something wrong with the databases? When I try to log into admin (joomla) it says there's no connection to mysql. When I try to open the site itself - same error.

Trying to take a look at db (through direct admin) - it's taking to long to open the dbs list and then I've got error saying - Your connection has timed out.

Edit: Problem corrected. Smile
tpolis
So now I couldn't understand, should I register an account on server 4, or not?
drunkenkoz
Thank you so much for getting everything up and running again bondings. I will be sure to make daily backups to prevent any future loss.
Bondings
tpolis wrote:
So now I couldn't understand, should I register an account on server 4, or not?

It's fixed now and I started creating accounts on Server 4 again. So yes, you may apply. Very Happy
GuidanceReader
It's back down again!!!! As much as I love Frihost's services, and think you're doing a great job, I can't afford to have such a flakey server.... :S is it worth asking to shift to one of the others ones? Or are these issues the last month or so an abnormality?

edit to say - Never mind, it wasn't down for long. Must have just been a hick up.. I panicked for nothing
Bondings
@GuidanceReader, I started panicking too after reading the first part of your message (server down). Then after some checks everything seemed to be working fine luckily and I read the rest of it (the edit). It might have been a network issue somewhere between you and the server.
abhizz
Admin, again... mysql and server down Crying or Very sad
Bondings
abhizz wrote:
Admin, again... mysql and server down Crying or Very sad

At the moment the server is up and mysql seems to be working fine?
deanhills
Any possibility that the heading of this topic could be edited to Status of Server 4. My heart spontaneously stops every time the "Server 4 is down" topic heading pops up in the post lists. Shocked