FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to Become a Domain Registrar!?

pazis
I didn't find any Network forum so I posted my question here. What are the requirements to become a domain registrar? I mean like DirectI and etc. I want to register domains for clients...
k_s_baskar
You need to apply with ICANN to become domain registrar. But it needs huge investments and software to manage your client and domain (like logicbox). It is long time process.

But you can become domain registration reseller from authorised ICANN registrar.
DirectI (resellerclub), enom, worldwestdomains are having such domain reseller programmes with minimal investment.
you can get more details to become authorized ICANN domain registrar here www.icann.org/
FunDa
pazis wrote:
I didn't find any Network forum so I posted my question here. What are the requirements to become a domain registrar? I mean like DirectI and etc. I want to register domains for clients...

bakar is right.

Better to start off as a reseller. Once you get a good client base as a reseller, then u can move on to become a direct registrar.

Better not to make a huge investment in the beginning when u are learning the ropes, so to speak.

Also see if u can do web hosting too.. Most buyers would prefer a package deal, so sticking with just DNS registration alone might not be good enough to get a client base.

Become a reseller first ..

Smile
pazis
Thanks to all. I don't want to make business now. I just wanted to know about it! Very Happy So what kind of hardware is needed to start a domain registrar company (not reseller)!? And what does the domain registrar really do in the back end!?
crystalkey
You might wish to start here
mukesh
crystalkey wrote:
You might wish to start here

yes better for you
Bondings
Even NameCheap was an (I think Enom) reseller until some time ago (a few years, time goes so fast nowadays). I think they only became a 'real' registrar when they reached the million domains or something similar.
FunDa
Bondings wrote:
Even NameCheap was an (I think Enom) reseller until some time ago (a few years, time goes so fast nowadays). I think they only became a 'real' registrar when they reached the million domains or something similar.

That's an interesting bit of info Bondings ...
A million domains is a lot. So a reseller is a very good place to start and stay for quite some time.
tpolis
As the others stated I think you should become a reseller. I recommend you to use GoDaddy, Hostgator and Namecheap .
alexanderranken
pazis wrote:
I didn't find any website reseller forum so I posted my question here. What are the requirements to Become a website reseller ? . I want to register website for clients...
dude_xyx
Another thing is when you register under ICCAN as domain register they ask for a 1 million usd deposit or something. I think you don't even need to become a reseller unless you have like 500 domains under you.