FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Pony emotes for everybody!

ocalhoun
So, I finally finished getting all the pony emotes out of season 1.
And now that I have a complete season's worth, I'm making them available to everyone!
(They're also hosted on the bronyville server, with instructions how to post then from there in the ReadMe.txt file.)

I said I'd post it when I was done, so here it is:

http://www.bronyville.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=669
deanhills
Great effort Ocalhoun. Thanks for thinking of us. Very Happy
truespeed
I noticed your getting a lot of spam,both human spammers and spam bot users signing up,i looked at your register page and noticed you didn't have a Q&A question at sign up,if you add a Q&A question that is brony specific and at the same time something that can't be googled it will cut out most if not all of your spam.

You can add a Q&A question by activating it in admin.

Example question: Rearrange these letters to make a pony. bowrain shad

Or something like that.
ocalhoun
truespeed wrote:
I noticed your getting a lot of spam,both human spammers and spam bot users signing up,i looked at your register page and noticed you didn't have a Q&A question at sign up,if you add a Q&A question that is brony specific and at the same time something that can't be googled it will cut out most if not all of your spam.

Oh, don't worry, I have it under control... But yeah, apparently, making the 10,000+ mark is something that makes spammers think your forum is worthwhile.

Step 1- More mods. (Done: with 3 very active ones now -- plus me -- spammers are getting shut down and banned before they can even make a second post. It was funny, the most recent spammer got banned by me and another mod... at the very same time, 9:37. ^.^)
Step 2- Some anti-spam mods. (one-click ban & delete all posts*, disabling/requiring profile fields**, automatic flagging of duplicate-IP users***...)

*Makes removing the spam a cinch.
**Will be able to disable the 'website' field, which should help discourage spam registrations, and can require the 'favorite pony' field, which might discourage the more automated registrations... Sort of like what you were saying there.
***Will help me know when an IP ban would be helpful or not.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Step 2- Some anti-spam mods. (one-click ban & delete all posts*, disabling/requiring profile fields**, automatic flagging of duplicate-IP users***...)
I'd be very interested in this one! My dream would be a spam button that is attached to each post that is only visible to Staff. So when it is a spammer and staff click on that spam button a ban control center opens immediately. It shows all the posts that have been made by the spammer that can be moved to spam can or deleted immediately just by ticking boxes and choosing spam can or delete. Then there has to be a section where it shows whether the IP is connected to other accounts and ability to deal the same with the other accounts, and then ban the IP temporarily only if necessary.

Spam is a PAIN! Evil or Very Mad
truespeed
The Q&A seems to work best,it does on my forums anyway,up until i added it i was getting loads of bot sign ups,now the only spam i get is the occasional human spam,but i have a nose for spammers so even if they don't leave a sig link straight away i always make a note of their post in the staff section so i can check it at a later date.

I have never ip banned anyone as i always worry it might also ban other users from accessing the site.
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
I have never ip banned anyone as i always worry it might also ban other users from accessing the site.
Right. It can be dangerous. Probably good to ban it with a time limit attached to it. But you're right. Prevention is better.

By the way I downloaded the Pack tonight Ocalhoun. Great work, thanks for sharing it with us? Cool
Dementei
foumy6
wow nice work I bet this took a long time (Yes I am captain obvious Twisted Evil and 400! that is sooo many there must be one for every occasion, perfect!

and I have slways tried email verification, but bots can very easily get around that, so that is why I to have moderators on my site that help me keep it all under control.