FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

External Hard drive connection

Tony The Tiger
I have three external hard drives and a secondary drive that I take out of my computer every time I send it in for repair. When I take it out I put it in an external hard drive case and use it in by backup computer. Recently HP sent me a new secondary drive. Thus, I replaced my 2007 120 GB secondary drive with a 2011 160 GB. This week was the first time I have had to send my computer in for repair since getting the new secondary drive. I found that my old external hard drive case would not read the new secondary drive in my old external hard drive case. On Tuesday, I ordered a new external hard drive case. They are somewhat similar but the new one uses a slightly different interface. The old one had a USB connection at the external drive end and a double USB connection at the main computer end. The new one has a mini USB conneciton at the external drive end and a double USB connection at the main computer end. Now, it reads on my backup laptop (2003 Dell Inspiron 8200 with USB 1.0 connections). It seems the connection is stronger with this new connection because one of my other external hard drives did not work on my backup laptop because I had a mini USB-USB connection cable that did not supply enough power from a USB 1.0 drive. It worked on a USB 2.0 with just the mini USB-USB connection. However, on the USB 1.0 drive it suddenly communicated with the mini USB-double USB connection. Can anyone offer an explanation?
weableandbob
That's odd. The first thing that comes to mind about it working with two USB connections but not one is that it's not getting enough power. I'm not sure about the differences between USB 2.0 and 1.0, but it's possible that 1.0 doesn't provide enough amps, but 2.0 does, thus requiring two connections to get the required amount of amps.
Tony The Tiger
weableandbob wrote:
That's odd. The first thing that comes to mind about it working with two USB connections but not one is that it's not getting enough power. I'm not sure about the differences between USB 2.0 and 1.0, but it's possible that 1.0 doesn't provide enough amps, but 2.0 does, thus requiring two connections to get the required amount of amps.

The manual for the device that the double USB-mini USB cable came with suggested that you only need the double connection when you can't get enough power from a single connection. I think you have hit the nail right on the head with your thoughts.