FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

DELL vs LENOVO VS ACER

nad_nadi
juz past 3 day ago my notebook as been stolen n now I need to find a new notebook, therefore i need some advise which notebook should i choose?..but my mind keep think bout dell, lenovo also acer.

anyone please help me with this...
deanhills
Bad luck. Sorry to hear about it. What is the budget for your Notebook? And what applications are you going to use it for? How much Memory do you want?

I like Samsung/Toshiba because I like to have a non-reflective screen and they have models that have non-reflective screens. Screens where you don't see yourself or the light does not reflect back in your eyes. I also like the minimum of 4GB RAM, but you may need more if you are going to use your Notebook for more advanced applications.

At one stage I was looking at the system below that I thought was good value for money. It had a non-reflective screen. This specifications are for a model in the UAE:

Samsung NP-RC510-E
http://www.samsung.com/ae/consumer/computers-peripherals/notebook/essential/NP-RC510-S02AE/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=feature

Quote:
Spec

Operating System Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Processor Processor Intel® Core™ i5 Processor 480M (2.66GHz, 3MB)
Display LCD 15.6" LED HD (1366 x 768) 16:9 Gloss
Physical Dimension (W x D x H mm) 381.7 x 256.5 x 29.2 ~ 35.1 (15.00" x 10.00" x 1.14" ~ 1.38")
Weight, include Standard Battery (kg) 2.56 (5.64 lbs)
Graphic Graphic Processor NVIDIA® Geforce™ 315M (optimus)
Graphic Memory 1GB gDDR3 (Ext. Graphic)
Memory System Memory 4GB (DDR3 / 4GB x 1)
Memory Slot 2 x SODIMM
Storage HDD 500GB (5,400 rpm S-ATA)
ODD Super Multi Dual Layer (S-ATA)
Intel Turbo Memory No
Main Chipset Main Chipset Intel HM55
Multimedia Sound HD (High Definition) Audio
Sound Effect SRS 3D Sound Effect
Mic Noise Suppression
Multimedia Player No
Speaker 3 watts Stereo Speaker (1.5 watts x 2)
TV No
Integrated Camera 1.3 megapixel HD Webcam
Communication Modem No
Wired Ethernet LAN Gigabit LAN
Wireless LAN 802.11bg/n
WWAN No
Bluetooth Bluetooth V3.0 High Speed
I/O Port VGA Yes
S-Video (TV-out) No
HDMI Yes
Headphone-out Headphone-out
Mic-in Yes
Internal Mic Yes
PC CardBus Slot No
USB 4 x USB 2.0
Multi Card Slot 4-in-1 (SD, SDHC, SDXC, MMC)
X-Dock Port No
SIO No
IEEE1394 No
RJ11 (Modem) No
RJ45 (LAN) Yes
TV Antenna No
DC-In (Power Port) Yes
Input Keyboard Type 101 Key
100 Key
EZ BLU Keys Fn+F8 (Easy SpeedUp Manager)
Fn+F7 (Samsung Support Centre)
Touch Pad, Touch Screen Touch Pad (Scroll Scope, Flat Type)
Security TPM No
FingerPrint Reader No
Virus McAfee Virus Scan
Security BIOS Boot Up Password
HDD Password
Lock Kensington Lock Port
Recovery Samsung Recovery Solution
Power AC Adapter 90 watts
60 watts
Battery 6 Cell (48Wh)
Software Standard DVD OS DVD
Installed S/W Samsung Update Plus
Easy Display Manger
Easy Battery Manager
Easy Network Manager
Easy SpeedUp Manager
Adobe Acrobat Reader

cybersa
I think this link will help you to select.
http://reviews.cnet.com/best-netbooks/

But i personally i don't recommend Netbooks.
Because it is not able to play large games,Slow Process etc..
I'm telling from my Experience because i'm having Samsung Netbook N150. Sad
deanhills
cybersa wrote:
I think this link will help you to select.
http://reviews.cnet.com/best-netbooks/

But i personally i don't recommend Netbooks.
Because it is not able to play large games,Slow Process etc..
I'm telling from my Experience because i'm having Samsung Netbook N150. Sad
Isn't there a great difference between a Netbook and a Notebook? A Notebook is usually much bigger. A Netbook is really a Dinky Toy in comparison. Twisted Evil

I totally agree with you on the Samsung Netbook. I've got a Samsung Netbook and I hardly ever use it. Think I should give it away to someone who really needs it before it gets to the unusable stage and get myself an iPad.
standready
I agree with staying away from 'netbooks'. Most have small low res screen with minimal memory and zero expansion.
As far as notebooks, there are several good manufacturers out there and it really boils down to what you plan do use it for now and in the near future. Also, what kind of budget you have. I have been happy with Toshiba and HP notebooks that I have used.
coolclay
I would say IBM, because I have had several Thinkpads over the years, and I am rough on them, yet I haven't had issues that I didn't deserve! But of course Lenovo took over IBM's laptop division, and faithfully carry on the Thinkpad tradition of excellence!

Not only do they last, but they have a fantastic warranty team, the only issue I have ever had was a few keys stopped working so I submitted an online request and in 2 days they sent me a free new keyboard! I have owned 6 different models over the years, and even when they get old they still have good resell value.

The Thinkpad line offers many features that few to none can offer. Trackpoint/touchpad choice, keyboard light, titanium case (some models), hard drive suspension technology, password vault, and other features I can't think of at the moment.

I know I sound like a representative! But I have been a loyal Thinkpad fan for almost 10 yrs! Once you go Thinkpad you don't go back they like to say!
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
I know I sound like a representative! But I have been a loyal Thinkpad fan for almost 10 yrs! Once you go Thinkpad you don't go back they like to say!
Great post coolclay. We have Lenovo here in the UAE, so will definitely give them a closer look again. Only thing that holds me back is that I have not been able to find a non-reflective screen.

Also, I was unaware Lenovo is the former IBM Thinkpad.
BigGeek
coolclay wrote:
I would say IBM, because I have had several Thinkpads over the years, and I am rough on them, yet I haven't had issues that I didn't deserve! But of course Lenovo took over IBM's laptop division, and faithfully carry on the Thinkpad tradition of excellence!

Not only do they last, but they have a fantastic warranty team, the only issue I have ever had was a few keys stopped working so I submitted an online request and in 2 days they sent me a free new keyboard! I have owned 6 different models over the years, and even when they get old they still have good resell value.

The Thinkpad line offers many features that few to none can offer. Trackpoint/touchpad choice, keyboard light, titanium case (some models), hard drive suspension technology, password vault, and other features I can't think of at the moment.

IBM doesn't make PC's any more, they sold the PC division to Lenovo, the Thinkpad has been gone for some time now. The replacements are the Lenovo Laptops.

I do agree however, that the old Think Pad was a great laptop and they held up for a long time. Too bad IBM doesn't make any hardware at all anymore as they have sold off all their hardware manufacturing to other companies.

I have a Toshiba laptop that is my personal laptop and it has been really good laptop. I also have a Dell that my company issued me, and it is OK too, but it has lost a hard drive in the first year that I owned it, where as nothing of the sort has happened with my Toshiba.

I guess it depends on your preference, but I do have to say that sale price is always the deciding factor for me. My Toshiba when I bought it a few years ago was on sale for 499 dollars US, with a 199 mail in rebate, so I paid 300 dollars US for it, and the rebate check arrived within 3 weeks after mailing it in, so all in all it was a great deal.

My suggestion is what kind of a deal can you find on them?
k_s_baskar
In my opinion acer is chap comparing to both others but but acer is producing lot heat comparing comparing to lenova and dell.
chatrack
Hi,

I have only experience with DELL, and I like it than acer
pauline5765
Sorry to hear that your notebook was stolen. Well, I'll definitely recommend Dell. I had used one for two years and I can say it's pretty awesome. Smile

Acer tends to be fragile for me. I don't really take care of my laptop very much, for example I just leave it on when I'm sleeping coz I'm downloading loads of stuff. Acer easily overheats and then the laptop just stops working.

I don't have any experience yet with Lenovo, but seeing that my classmates have those laptops, I don't think they're pretty durable as well. It looks so fragile.
_AVG_
I'd say Dell makes the most efficient machines out of those you mentioned. Although Lenovo seems to have become better in recent times I believe. I wouldn't go with Acer at all - it's terrible.
menino
I had advised a friend of mine to buy a Lenovo laptop about 2 months ago, and he loves it.
Its big with a 15.6 inch lcd screen, but surprisingly light to carry, and has a numpad as well...- good if you are an accountant.
Its quite a good laptop and cheap for the price - around $450

The model was G570 and its a core i5 with 2430M processor, and it comes with windows 7 home basic.

Dell and Acer are good as well, but the lenovo is a better machine than them and for the price of the g570 model from Lenovo, its quite good.
I had reviewed the laptop just before my friend bought it, and it had a rating of 4/5.

Hope you get a great laptop and it won't be stolen again.
Antonlillian
Dell is famous and great company in all over the world. I like dell's computer more rather than others. Dell is an American multinational information technology. It is listed at number 41 in the Fortune 500 list.
deanhills
Antonlillian wrote:
Dell is famous and great company in all over the world. I like dell's computer more rather than others. Dell is an American multinational information technology. It is listed at number 41 in the Fortune 500 list.
Dell is VERY popular in the UAE. However Apple laptops have been giving it great competition over the last couple of years. Apple even started its own online Internet Shop for the Middle East. Which is quite novel for the Middle East as contrary to the West, people who live in the Middle East can't buy Microsoft software, Adobe software or even software from Amazon on the Internet, nor hardware. Sort of REALLY annoying! Also we don't get the very good deals that everyone can get in North America, Europe or Asia. Some of the products are dated, and manufacturers may supply equipment for which batteries are difficult to get hold of. Sony is VERY guilty in this respect. Grrrrr ...... Twisted Evil
coolclay
BigGeek you are correct that IBM no longer manufactures PC's but the Thinkpad and Thinkstation line has been faithfully continued by Lenovo, and in my opinion does live up to it's "historical" legacy! But note that Lenovo has also continued their original "Lenovo" brands as well.

That's very interesting Dean, it surprises me that companies would cut a chunk out of their customer base like that, any reason why?

My previous laptop was the dual core Thinkpad Z61T, it was one of the first laptops made after the IBM/Lenovo transfer. I was extremely pleased with it except for battery life. It also still had the traditional matte non-reflective Thinkpad screen.

I love my Z61T so much it's hard to get rid of it and I still have it. I can't stand to sell something so great for $250. (It's for sale BTW to a loving home)

My newest laptop that I am typing on today is the Thinkpad E420S. This is the first laptop in the Thinkpad line to include several items. 1. a slot drive, 2. Internal battery, and 3. Reflective glossy screen.

At first I didn't like any of the above because I felt they made it feel to Apple-esque (I think that may have been the idea but it turned me away at first).

But after using it for almost 6 months now it has grown on me. While the reflectiveness is still annoying the perks are worth it, better definition, color, and surprisingly easier to see in full sun. No battery to continually unclip and fall out. No more worries about sliding the drive out and breaking it. Plus all the other Thinkpad perks.
foumy6
I use to like dell, but for the past couple years all I have gotten is ripped off by them, so now I'm turning to acer, because I havn't had any problems with them, and here is a plus when ever I call acer tech support I get someone who fluently speaks the same language as me!
deanhills
foumy6 wrote:
and here is a plus when ever I call acer tech support I get someone who fluently speaks the same language as me!
Amazing! Isn't ACER an international company relative to the US and Dell a local company!!!!! Now that speaks volumes .... Laughing
cnitolo
I think Dell better than Lenovo and Acer, HP is a good choice too.
sysna
all these are made in china, most of what they use inside their laptops is same brands like seagte which all of them use for their hard drives. so some things that really change from brand to brand is the display and cooling system, so my suggestion between these brands is first Lenovo (not very good displays but good at cooling systems) the second in my opinion is Acer (average in both cooling and display) and the last one is Dell but anyway all of these changes based on the support you get in your area.