FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Would you classify pedophilia as a disability?

Is any sort of criminal mania a mental disability?
Yes; having a disturbed mental state of any sort is a disability.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Maybe; if diagnosed by a medical professional, some manias should be able to mitigate severity of punishment, but not if the crime harmed anyone
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Maybe; people found to genuinely suffer from manias should be comitted to an institution that can help them, not punished
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No; manias don't provide a basis for any mitigation
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

quex
Greece adds pedophilia and exhibitionism to list of disabilities

I am curious about this. In the USA, pedophilia is not given much consideration in a psychological context, although there is clearly something to be investigated there... acts of pedophilia are generally considered so despicable here that they are only ever criminally prosecuted and roundly denounced. Pyromania and kleptomania are less stigmatized. Although setting fires and stealing are also crimes (fires being lethal in some cases, and therefore considered a crime of physical harm, as is pedophilia), those who commit such acts are generally psychologically evaluated as part of their detention and trial, and persons found to be genuinely affected with pyromania or kleptomania are given considerations and treatment as part of their sentence. (Whether this treatment is effective at all is an entirely different matter.)

Now, I don't consider any of these syndromes a disability (or a reason to receive government pay -- WTF, Greece?), but I wonder exactly how they should be viewed as states of mental instability when determining criminal punishment...?
GuidanceReader
I consider paedophilia to be an illness and should be treated as such, but if they commit the crime, they should also be punished. I personally know a paedophile, and whilst they might not have been able to stop their urges, they knew what they were doing was wrong. I think if it were more acceptable to ask for help before giving into urges, then maybe less paedophiles would act on their urges, meaning less children are harmed.
Peterssidan
I don't think anyone choose to be a paedophile. Some are sexually attracted to children just as some are sexual attracted to animals, women and/or men. As long as the paedophile doesn't break the law it's just a normal person with the problem that (s)he can't get a partner that (s)he is attracted to.

For serious crimes I think it's important that there is some kind of punishment. There is always excuses. "I have no money", "I'm addicted", "I'm insane" etc. At the same time I think it's good to help people that have serious problems, criminals or not criminals.
deanhills
I could not find a category to tick. I don't know much about pedophilia, but the bit I've learned it is difficult for them to stop. I wish they could be sorted out properly before they get to the harm stage but looks as though it is very difficult to identify them and or prove that they are pedophiles as all of it is usually shrouded in shame and secrecy. The worst kind is the kind that is hidden and goes detected for years and years.