FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ring finger straight up while little finger curled

Peterssidan
A few days ago one of my cousins showed that she could have the little finger curled and the ring finger straight up. She only could do this on one hand. My brother could on both. I can't do it at all. If I start with both fingers straight up and starts to curl the little finger the ring finger just follows. If I hold the little finger in place I can fully extend the ring finger without any problems.

I'm curious why some people can do it and some can't. Is it just a matter of learning to control the fingers or is it genetic? How many of you can do this? Don't cheat by locking the little finger inside the hand Wink
deanhills
This is fun! I tried it and can't do it. I can't even force the ring finger to be straight when the pinkie is curled. Pretty amazing. I'd also like to know what the reason is for it, as technically at least I should be able to straighten it by pushing it but it just won't straighten! Very Happy
_AVG_
Is this some kind of a hereditary thing? Like rolling your tongue? I don't know ... maybe it's of no scientific consequence ... but certainly worth a thought.

Anyway, I can do it. Laughing
Peterssidan
_AVG_ wrote:
Is this some kind of a hereditary thing? Like rolling your tongue?

I also thought that might be the case but I'm not sure. If it is then why could my cousin do it on only one hand? Isn't it the same DNA that shape both hands?
Ghost900
I was trying it and found as soon as I curled my tiny finger the other followed along, even if I was holding it.
sonam
I cannot curl (because ring finger follow little finger) but I can "break" on the second knuckle and first on top keep strait. Shocked

Sonam
truespeed
I can do it with both hands,but better with my left.

Some people can't do the above,i am not sure why.
Blaster
Most likely i'm sure it has something to do with being double jointed though I am not too sure. I can do it with both.
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
I can do it with both hands,but better with my left.

Some people can't do the above,i am not sure why.
OK. Now this I'm able to do. With little difficulty. I'm better with my right hand than my left though. Very Happy
GuidanceReader
I can keep my ring finger straight on both hands, but I need to concentrate more to do it with my right hand as opposed to my left. Maybe it's muscle tone, I used to stick my left ring finger up at my husband before he was my husband all the time to give him hints, so it's better toned Razz

I can also do the Spock fingers with both hands, but I haven't always been able to. I had to teach myself.
Peterssidan
GuidanceReader wrote:
I can also do the Spock fingers with both hands, but I haven't always been able to. I had to teach myself.

I also had to learn to do that. I can clearly remember how I pushed my fingers apart during a music lesson many years ago to learn to do it.
_AVG_
I guess a lot of hand gestures seem to be easier with the right hand than the left (presumably for right-handed people) ... thus a possible explanation could be better control on the "strong" side than the "weak" side of the body?
GuidanceReader
My ring finger is stronger on my less dominant hand.
ocalhoun
Anybody should be able to do it with practice.

Just a matter of flexibility and coordination, which both improve with practice.
deanhills
GuidanceReader wrote:
My ring finger is stronger on my less dominant hand.
Same with me. Maybe it has the appearance of strong because it is more flexible, less used. Question
Blaster
ocalhoun wrote:

Just a matter of flexibility and coordination, which both improve with practice.

Ehhh i dont know i still cant do the spock fingers
ocalhoun
Blaster wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Ehhh i dont know i still cant do the spock fingers

I couldn't at first either...

But (while taking guitar lessons, all of which I've forgotten now) I did some exercises, and now I can.

Try doing the spock fingers, then putting the middle two together while spreading the outer two apart, then back, repeat. (using your other hand to force them into the right positions if you absolutely have to)

After doing that for a while, you should be able to do it easily... and have a nice parlor trick/bar bet to make. ^.^