FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

best thing to do in long distance relationship?

johans
any one tried long distance relationship? how to overcome it? its hard if your work is in the other are and your girlfriend works in your hometown. how to deal with it?
Ankhanu
Communication is key.
If the relationship is more than physical, distance might be difficult, but it's not the worst. Keeping in contact really helps the separation.

My wife and I are from different countries, so the beginning months of our relationship was long distance (after we met in person). We stayed in contact via email, phone, mail and occasional IRC sessions. After we moved in together, then got married, then I went to university in another province, putting us back into long-distance. Again, we maintained communication, reducing the sensation of separation. Since then, my work work place has been in another town, keeping me away from home 5 days a week... again, communication.

If a relationship is heavily centered on physical contact, obviously, long distance isn't going to work.
johans
Thanks for that wonderful and powerful and inspiration story you got Ankhanu. I wish you all the best in your relationship and keep the faith always.

Right now we always communicate via mobile (sms and Call).

Quote:
If a relationship is heavily centered on physical contact, obviously, long distance isn't going to work.

What do you mean if the relationship is more than physical? can you give me more details of what you mean?
Ankhanu
johans wrote:
Thanks for that wonderful and powerful and inspiration story you got Ankhanu. I wish you all the best in your relationship and keep the faith always.

No problem; I've been married for 10.5 years now, with a lot of long-distance time involved in the relationship... it's something you deal with if you want the relationship to work. I can't overstate the importance of trust in this sort of situation too. Jealous people aren't going to deal well with separation and the inability to monitor their partner Razz

Thanks for the best wishes, but, there's little faith involved Wink

johans wrote:
What do you mean if the relationship is more than physical? can you give me more details of what you mean?

What I mean is that if a relationship is grounded in physical attraction/intimacy, rather than real solid interpersonal emotional/intellectual connection, it is bound to fail eventually. It's an emotional bond of respect and love that holds a relationship together, rather than our physical lusts.

I'm sure a relationship built on physical lust or intimacy is fun, but it's not a solid platform from which to build something that will last (unless it is replaced over time by something more substantial).
blazy
sex
codersfriend
blazy wrote:
sex

That's wierd.. were talking about long distance relationship..
anyway, yep.. no doubt it's communication.. you won't be seeing each other so it's important to know what's going on in your lives.. and don't forget to say I love you always Very Happy
The_unnamed_label
Communication... patience.... Love... trust... PATIENCE.
jrzipagan03
in order to have a successful long-distance relationship, you need to build a strong faith and love to your partner. Whatever and whenever it takes your relationship in a long distance faith and trust is one of the solutions and must have a communication for you to know hows the relationship goes and the status..But a perfect happy relationship must rely to the lord, must not sel-centered and be open minded for you to understand things that make your relationship stronger.. Must be god centered relationship rely to him and expect that your relationship will last to the end.. If your relationship doesn't last, you are not meant to be... Confused Confused
garlovsky
Hi Johans,

I'd say the single most important thing to do in maintaining a long distance relationship is to see each other as often as possible and make definite plans to see each other.

To be specific, next time you see each other, make definite arrangements for the next time you will see each other. Make the dates, agree on the details, decide what you are going to do. If you don't have a detailed plan in place, the weeks will slip into months and you will have nothing to look forward to. Your life will be in limbo.

Ultimately, you need to have a plan to finally get together permanently. Without such a plan, your relationship will fizzle out. Nothing compares to being there in person full-time.

All the best!
iyepes
If you two are married, do your best to keep it.

If you haven't decided yet to commit in a long term relationship, you'd better let it go. Commitment is something you hardly agree when you are not sharing your life space with someone else.