FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Slump in Posts - January - Competition?

deanhills
I've just noticed a huge slump in posts over the last few days, like really low. I'm battling to find posts to respond to. Was wondering whether Bondings could do an easy competition that everyone can join in. So as to generate more posts.

For example, from the top of my head - a competition for the best suggestion/s for a competition. To establish what competitions Frihosters are interested in. With a winner and two runners up getting coins as a reward. It could be made into a featured discussion with a big heading with "win coins" somewhere in the title.
Ankhanu
You know, YOU could hold the competition...
Both Nameless and I are currently holding competitions in an effort to increase posting/engagement, offering up our hard-earned coins to the participants. We're just regular users like you... you could hold any number of competitions if you liked!
truespeed
I think competitions need to be less time consuming,essays and stories require a certain level of time commitment,perhaps its time for another photoshop competition,something everyone can knock up,either on their own editing software or on an online version.
deanhills
@Ankhanu. I actually have had a competition on the go since 2nd of January in the Politics Section. The fact you've missed it gives substance to my suggestion for one run by Bondings or the Staff as featured Frihost competitions instead. Otherwise when we run it, it does not get noticed that much. Mine hardly received any response.

I completely agree with Truespeed. Competitions should be less time-consuming, particularly if we would like to generate a good response. Hence why my competition is so simple. Guessing who is going to win the New Hampshire Republican Primary together with percentage of votes (the closest percentage).
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-132743.html

If the above is not doable, then perhaps we could ask Bondings if there could be a special section at the top for Featured Competitions (Opportunities for making Coins)? As far as I know we have three competitions on the go at the moment. One by Nameless, Ankhanu and myself. Oh yes, there is also an opportunity in the Market Place for posting at Ocalhoun's new Website. 100 coins for 21 posts.
Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
@Ankhanu. I actually have had a competition on the go since 2nd of January in the Politics Section. The fact you've missed it gives substance to my suggestion for one run by Bondings or the Staff as featured Frihost competitions instead. Otherwise when we run it, it does not get noticed that much. Mine hardly received any response.

No, the reason I hadn't noticed it (I just had to go look) was because the title is: Republican New Hampshire Primary - Competition. I have 0 interest in the Republican New Hampshire Primary... I didn't even notice the word "competition" because I already knew there wasn't anything I wanted to read in the thread (I choose whether or not to look at a thread based on its title). I also only click the Politics forum once every couple days, in general, politics isn't my thing. Basic point there is that if a staff member were running that competition, it also would have fallen under my radar. It's not who made the contest, but, rather, the nature of the contest that was limiting in me taking notice.

I suppose a request to be featured to increase people noticing and thereby traffic is a good idea, but, I don't think that competitions for specific forums like politics are likely to get as much notice as a more general-audience competition.

deanhills wrote:
I completely agree with Truespeed. Competitions should be less time-consuming, particularly if we would like to generate a good response.

Agreed, to a point.
At this stage in the game, where we're simply trying to get users using the FriHost community services, period, things need to be inclusive, engaging and accessible to get people active. Later, when activity is up and the user base is stronger, more exclusive competitions, requiring more effort to get better quality can be the norm; most users will ignore it, and those who are interested will compete! Win-win Wink
But yes, now, more accessible = more success.

deanhills wrote:
If the above is not doable, then perhaps we could ask Bondings if there could be a special section at the top for Featured Competitions (Opportunities for making Coins)? As far as I know we have three competitions on the go at the moment. One by Nameless, Ankhanu and myself. Oh yes, there is also an opportunity in the Market Place for posting at Ocalhoun's new Website. 100 coins for 21 posts.

Featuring is really the only thing we need admin assistance with. Whether it's a new section or a mention in the featured topics section, the result would be the same; we'd need an admin to put it there. Outside of that, we can still make efforts (as we have been) to increase usership; but we could use a little admin support now and again to really make this work.
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
Outside of that, we can still make efforts (as we have been) to increase usership; but we could use a little admin support now and again to really make this work.
Completely agreed. I was a little reluctant to go for a competition in the General Chat Forum as I don't want to compete with the ones that are already there. Yours is completely different from Nameless' but mine could have detracted from Nameless' competition.

The competition in the Politics forum is experimental. If it does take off, then I'll do more of the same. But if not, I'll try something new in a different Forum.
truespeed
Putting competitions in the contests forum would make more sense than putting them in random categories where they are likely to be missed.
tidruG
deanhills wrote:
Hence why my competition is so simple. Guessing who is going to win the New Hampshire Republican Primary together with percentage of votes (the closest percentage).
Frihost is one of those few websites where the large majority of people aren't from the US. I saw your contest, but couldn't be bothered to participate because:
  1. I'm not interested in US politics.
  2. Couldn't be bothered to read up on the candidates.

Ankhanu wrote:
Featuring is really the only thing we need admin assistance with. Whether it's a new section or a mention in the featured topics section, the result would be the same; we'd need an admin to put it there. Outside of that, we can still make efforts (as we have been) to increase usership; but we could use a little admin support now and again to really make this work.
I think there used to be a thread where you could suggest threads to be featured. Regardless, you can probably PM me or some other moderator if you think a particular thread should be featured.
deanhills
tidruG wrote:
I think there used to be a thread where you could suggest threads to be featured. Regardless, you can probably PM me or some other moderator if you think a particular thread should be featured.
Thanks. That is great to know. I'm going to complete this competition, which in retrospect probably was not such a great idea, then think up a new one that hopefully would have a much wider appeal. And will take you up on your offer to PM you. Hopefully by end of this weekend.

It may be a competition for the best idea for a competition. In two parts. The first part is to get all of the ideas. And then to pick the ones that stand out and vote on them. First have to work on some guidelines however as off the top of my head I'd like it to be simple and doable for everyone. Yet at the same time fun.
Asap170
Also the competitions would get a lot more people if Bondings was the one stating it and/or it's posted on the "Featured Discussions".
Ankhanu
Asap170 wrote:
Also the competitions would get a lot more people if Bondings was the one stating it and/or it's posted on the "Featured Discussions".

I agree on the latter half, skeptical about the former.
Asap170
Ankhanu wrote:
Asap170 wrote:

I agree on the latter half, skeptical about the former.

Well I am just saying everyone knows who Bondings is and he has quite the reputation built up. I am not saying that some of the users like you(Ankhanu), Dean, Nameless, myself, and others, do not have great reputation.
Ankhanu
I don't think most users judge a thread based on the creator's name. I doubt most people check who created a thread before opening it.
tingkagol
Ankhanu wrote:
No, the reason I hadn't noticed it (I just had to go look) was because the title is: Republican New Hampshire Primary - Competition. I have 0 interest in the Republican New Hampshire Primary... I didn't even notice the word "competition" because I already knew there wasn't anything I wanted to read in the thread (I choose whether or not to look at a thread based on its title). I also only click the Politics forum once every couple days, in general, politics isn't my thing.

After reading that, I immediately thought of a "Competitions" sub-forum so people won't have a hard time looking for them.

WAIT... there's a "Contests" forum. Silly me.
Ghost Rider103
Ankhanu wrote:
I don't think most users judge a thread based on the creator's name. I doubt most people check who created a thread before opening it.

Meh, I've done it a time or two. If I see someone I'm well associated with on the board, I'm likely to go into the thread even if it may not sound interesting to me.

Though I never not go into a thread because of who has created it. But just saying, I do pay a bit of attention to who started the thread, before I go into it.

Starting up a competition for the month is a great idea. I also agree it should be quick and simple.

I believe we should focus on increasing forum category activity. Using competitions to do this should be easy.

Take a forum category with low post count, create a competition to create new threads in the category. The user who created the most active thread in that forum category wins. Will be simple, non-timeconsuming and should increase activity in specific locations on the board.

We could even do more than one competition of the same type, just for different forum categories.

Also, since it would take less effort than an essay competition, the prize could be lowered, something like 70 coins to the winner?
loremar
I'm thinking of some suggestions that would motivate everyone.

Why not hold a seasonal/yearly/quarterly competition where the winner gets a "frihost ultimate champion" badge?
GuidanceReader
Just wanted to throw my two cents in, I don't really know who admin/staff are (other than Bondings) so who creates the topic makes no difference to me. I rarely look at the creator of a post unless I want to reply to the content after I have read it.

I have found on other forums that I have been admin on, is that competitions don't really do much to drum up the activity. It is more a case of if you want more posts, then you may have to create more posts, focusing on thought provoking discussion, which in turn people may come and reply to and then that may instigate further topics being created as off shoots.

One of the threads I started in my other forum, was a post a day thread. I had a list of questions/discussion topics and if someone came to the thread, they had 30 days to make 30 posts to answer those questions/topics. (this was for a parenting forum).

When I am not about to drop off to sleep, I'll see if I can drag out some of my ideas and implement them. I'd hate to see this forum go bust (and me lose my hosting as a result) just after I find the great place.

oohh!! I just had an idea Laughing Maybe we can have a challenge for who can go the longest in making a thought provoking topic each day or something? Or each contestant will have to create a thread and the thread that has the most posts in it (from contestants who indicate they are playing in the competition thread) by the end of the month wins the money, with no limit on number of threads started?

Anyway, bed time.. I'll think about it Razz
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
Guess I'm the odd one out then as that is the first thing I notice before I read the post. There is always a unique personality behind the post that has been written and I have to know who is writing it.

I agree with Asap170. Nothing commands as much attention as a thread by Bondings. However, I'm just grateful he is back spending his time where it matters the most so anything in addition to that is a luxury. If there is any way I can help with doing competitions myself and can get the assistance from someone like tidruG for making it into a Featured Competition that is more than fine with me. I'm just as happy to have tidruG around as well.
Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:
Guess I'm the odd one out then as that is the first thing I notice before I read the post. There is always a unique personality behind the post that has been written and I have to know who is writing it.

I agree with Asap170. Nothing commands as much attention as a thread by Bondings. However, I'm just grateful he is back spending his time where it matters the most so anything in addition to that is a luxury. If there is any way I can help with doing competitions myself and can get the assistance from someone like tidruG for making it into a Featured Competition that is more than fine with me. I'm just as happy to have tidruG around as well.

Maybe it's me who's the odd one out, deciding whether to click on a thread based solely on its Title and not pre-judging whether it will be worth clicking by the author. The author is important, and does lend a voice to the content, but, I'm as likely to click on a thread titled, say "Why aren't there more chocolate chip cookies in the world" if it's written by you, Indi or Bondings, for example... no matter who the author is, I'm unlikely to ever read that thread Wink Basically the unique personality is secondary to the content it is conveying. In any instance other than a moderation/administration decision, Bondings' name holds no more sway than anyone else's to me (he's just a guy!).

Likewise, it doesn't matter to me if a competition is hosted by Bondings, Ghost Rider103, GuidanceReader, loremar, or whomever (names other than the admin & mod taken at random), what's important is whether it's an interesting topic.

It seems that, perhaps, I'm just less impressed by person than others here might be... and perhaps I'm the one with the unusual stance (wouldn't be the first time).
Asap170
Ankhanu wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:

Maybe it's me who's the odd one out, deciding whether to click on a thread based solely on its Title and not pre-judging whether it will be worth clicking by the author. The author is important, and does lend a voice to the content, but, I'm as likely to click on a thread titled, say "Why aren't there more chocolate chip cookies in the world" if it's written by you, Indi or Bondings, for example... no matter who the author is, I'm unlikely to ever read that thread Wink Basically the unique personality is secondary to the content it is conveying. In any instance other than a moderation/administration decision, Bondings' name holds no more sway than anyone else's to me (he's just a guy!).

Do I seriously need to start a poll about this to see what other people think and then only to realize it is 50/50 and that you both are not odd and just the same as a lot of people?
Ankhanu
Hehe, nah, shouldn't be necessary... in the end, it doesn't matter Wink
Ghost Rider103
Yeah don't think it is all that important.

The fact is, there is an area for official contests/competitions. Which everyone would/should see, making it more available and easier to find to the public.

Bondings has the advantage of giving the winners free domains. I understand someone like Dean could do the same thing in reward of coins, but it just sounds better coming from the site admin, despite who starts the competition.

Either way though, we have an area for official competitions for Frihost. It should be used!

For users wanting to start competitions, there is a contest forum, which could use some help! It used to be very active back in the day, especially with the Daily Guess a number game. I think something similar should be opened back up in the contest forum, something extremely easy to compete in. A daily guess the move game, or something similar. But instead of Frih$ we use coins to give to the winners.

Perhaps we could convince Bondings to allow the mods to give the winners coins directly from Frihost itself, rather than transferring personal coins to the winners. Something like 1 - 5 coins to the daily winners. It would be simple like guess the number, so it wouldn't take much, so therefore the prize should be quite small, keeping in mind it would be daily.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
it just sounds better coming from the site admin, despite who starts the competition.
Totally agreed.

Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Either way though, we have an area for official competitions for Frihost. It should be used!
Regretfully no one visits that Forum. Sonam tried to do a competition there. Just check through it. Here is a link to his effort, which by the way is the last post in that Forum - November 2011:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-123475.html

People seem to start and end at the General Chat Forum and Featured Discussions.

Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Perhaps we could convince Bondings to allow the mods to give the winners coins directly from Frihost itself, rather than transferring personal coins to the winners. Something like 1 - 5 coins to the daily winners. It would be simple like guess the number, so it wouldn't take much, so therefore the prize should be quite small, keeping in mind it would be daily.
Not a bad idea.

Ankhanu wrote:
Here's the thing however, I go through almost ALL the posts including most of the blog posts and I go through them systematically one by one from the General Chat Forum down to the Market Place. If those pink highlighted buttons disappear (don't know why they do that before I have opened them) then I use the "View your Posts" tool and comb through them all. Bondings holds my special interest because he writes stuff that appeals to me. It's a matter of individual taste and preference. I'd say however there is a very long list of people that hold my interest.
deanhills
@Ghostrider. I was just thinking. The Chess Tournament is doing OK in the Suggestions Forum whereas the Games Sub-Forum would probably have been the more appropriate Forum for it. So maybe we could run the competitions in the suggestions forum too? Wink
Ghost Rider103
deanhills wrote:
@Ghostrider. I was just thinking. The Chess Tournament is doing OK in the Suggestions Forum whereas the Games Sub-Forum would probably have been the more appropriate Forum for it. So maybe we could run the competitions in the suggestions forum too? Wink

The reason I left it, is because there was two active moderators in the forum, me not being one of them. I felt if it should be moved, surely one of them would have done so.

I went ahead and moved it, but left a shadow topic, so nobody active in the forum would lose track of it.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
deanhills wrote:

The reason I left it, is because there was two active moderators in the forum, me not being one of them. I felt if it should be moved, surely one of them would have done so.

I went ahead and moved it, but left a shadow topic, so nobody active in the forum would lose track of it.
Thanks Ghost Rider and I understand where you are coming from. Probably the right thing to do but my point was more along the lines of the higher the Forum the more attention it gets. The lower we go in the Forum = Competitions, Market Place etc. the less people are posting there. Probably time to shuffle and reorganize them a little.

Wish we could have a revolving situation where every other day the first Forum moves down by one Forum. The Featured, General and Support Forums always stay right at the top, but all of the others rotate down all of the time. We've done that topic already though but it
truespeed
I think the contests and marketplace forums used to be near the top,maybe the reason why they were once very active.
ocalhoun
truespeed wrote:
I think the contests and marketplace forums used to be near the top,maybe the reason why they were once very active.

I don't really remember that...

But that is one reason why user-made competitions rarely are successful. They easily go unnoticed by most members, hidden way down there in the contests forum.

The key to successful competitions would be getting made into featured topics.

(And for that matter, I think utilizing the featured topics more would be a great way to improve post count in general as well.
I'd really like to see some form of automated featured topics or some easy way for staff to designate topics as featured. -- If I'm not mistaken, as it is now, only admins can do it, and it requires manual file edits?)
truespeed
I have had a look on the wayback machine and although its not as high up as the general forums,contests is quite high up,and surprisingly separated from marketplace.

3rd feb 2006

Maybe its was just more noticeable with the old layout,maybe the new layout needs something to draw peoples attention further down the board.
rjraaz
truespeed wrote:

Or may be domains for Coins effected that contests and marketplace forums popularity, because now everyone to save their coins to get domains instead of creating any contest or using marketplace. As i remember Frih$ were only used to remove ads nothing more for that much beneficial purpose as of domian.
truespeed
I would of thought it would have the opposite effect,frih had no value therefore all contests and exchanges were done for fun or altruistic reasons.now coins have a value it should in theory be easier to get people involved in contests and market exchanges.