FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why is Iowa so important in the Presidential Race?

deanhills
I'm wondering why Iowa is so important in the Presidential Race - or is it? I'm going by the extensive prime TV coverage the Iowa caucusing is getting, even by BBC.

Is it because this is where the candidates get tested for how good they are, being important for the rest of the race. Also whether they qualify for more funding so want to showcase their presentation abilities to get more funding?
hw3patch
It's because Iowa is the first state to hold its primary/caucus (followed by New Hampshire). So how well a candidate does in Iowa and New Hampshire is a sign of how well they'll do in the later states. And winning the first few states' primaries/caucuses would also push a significant amount of undecided voters who live in states that hold their primaries/caucuses later toward that candidate.

I'm can't recall how other presidential election years were, but according to a recent poll, 41% of likely caucus-goers (in Iowa) are undecided. That fact increases the hype and media attention a lot as candidates want to generate as much good publicity as possible to sway some of those undecided voters.