FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Pointing a domain I bought to one of my Sub-domains.





Robert_Redbeard
I am not sure if I can do what I want to do here. But I would like to point one of my domains to just a certain section of my overall site. Such as pointing the domain to a sub-domain of my site.

Is this possible and if so, how would I go about accomplishing the task.

Thank you all in advance for any help you may give.
Robert_Redbeard
Funny thing just happened. I just got a follow up call from my domain provider right after I posted this and he told me exactly how to do this.
ankurthakur
If you own cPanel, then you can do it from the Redirection or Redirects section of it.

Otherwise, you can also use .htaccess file to do that.
Robert_Redbeard
ankurthakur wrote:
If you own cPanel, then you can do it from the Redirection or Redirects section of it.

Otherwise, you can also use .htaccess file to do that.


I will have to look into the .htaccess part of that. It has been a few years since I did this stuff. So I am a bit rusty around the edges. Don't help that the new puppy thinks he has to help. LOL!!!
menino
Robert_Redbeard wrote:
Funny thing just happened. I just got a follow up call from my domain provider right after I posted this and he told me exactly how to do this.


So, How exactly did you do it then? Was it the .htaccess, or a redirect setting from your control panel itself?
sonam
menino wrote:
Robert_Redbeard wrote:
Funny thing just happened. I just got a follow up call from my domain provider right after I posted this and he told me exactly how to do this.


So, How exactly did you do it then? Was it the .htaccess, or a redirect setting from your control panel itself?


If I have good memory I am (in cPanel) just use Addon domains. I don't need to edit .htaccess or anything else. Here is what is writing in cPanel:

Quote:
An addon domain allows visitors to reach a subdomain of your site by typing the addon domain's URL into a browser. This means that you can host additional domains from your account, if allowed by your hosting provider. Addon Domains Subdomains are relative to your account's home directory.


Sonam
Robert_Redbeard
menino wrote:
Robert_Redbeard wrote:
Funny thing just happened. I just got a follow up call from my domain provider right after I posted this and he told me exactly how to do this.


So, How exactly did you do it then? Was it the .htaccess, or a redirect setting from your control panel itself?


My domain provider has a free forwarding service that I am using for now. But I will most likely use what advice I have gotten here in the long run. I just don't have the time right now. Busy finishing up the actual site right now.
menino
Thanks Sonam for the info.
I know that cPanel has it. I think even Plesk panel has it, as I had used it a long time ago for our customers.
But for hosting done on linux, using apache web services, (i.e. without a real control panel) I wanted to know how it is done.
Bondings
@sonam, from what a I remember about the way cPanel handles it, it simply creates the .htaccess file for the addon domain. And using .htaccess directives would probably be the best solution if you want to make a domain show the same as a directory/section of another domain.

Of course it would be easier if you simply added the domain as a new domain in DirectAdmin and then have a domains/<domain_name>/public_html/ directory for that domain where you can put the files for that domain. But I don't think that's what you want?
sonam
Bondings wrote:
@sonam, from what a I remember about the way cPanel handles it, it simply creates the .htaccess file for the addon domain. And using .htaccess directives would probably be the best solution if you want to make a domain show the same as a directory/section of another domain.

Of course it would be easier if you simply added the domain as a new domain in DirectAdmin and then have a domains/<domain_name>/public_html/ directory for that domain where you can put the files for that domain. But I don't think that's what you want?


You are right Bondings I didn't understand right meninos question. I was think he need solution for cPanel or some other panel where he don't need to think about .htaccess file. Embarassed Actually I like to use tools more then write in .htaccess. Rolling Eyes

Sonam
Robert_Redbeard
Thank you Bondings.

It is a great service you provide us. Thank you.
Navigator
Frihost support rulezz
menino
Bondings wrote:
@sonam, from what a I remember about the way cPanel handles it, it simply creates the .htaccess file for the addon domain. And using .htaccess directives would probably be the best solution if you want to make a domain show the same as a directory/section of another domain.

Of course it would be easier if you simply added the domain as a new domain in DirectAdmin and then have a domains/<domain_name>/public_html/ directory for that domain where you can put the files for that domain. But I don't think that's what you want?


Thanks Bondings for the clarification and info. I knew it had to do with the .htaccess, on the lower level.
Robert_Redbeard
Bondings wrote:
Of course it would be easier if you simply added the domain as a new domain in DirectAdmin and then have a domains/<domain_name>/public_html/ directory for that domain where you can put the files for that domain. But I don't think that's what you want?


That is exactly what I needed. I actually figure this out shortly after I asked this question. I will learn the lesson of never giving up before I have explored all options. Seems that every time I give up and ask someone. I figure it out shortly afterwards.

Thanks for all the help. The answers have given me other options to explore and tinker with.
futurcat
Robert_Redbeard wrote:
Bondings wrote:
Of course it would be easier if you simply added the domain as a new domain in DirectAdmin and then have a domains/<domain_name>/public_html/ directory for that domain where you can put the files for that domain. But I don't think that's what you want?


That is exactly what I needed. I actually figure this out shortly after I asked this question. I will learn the lesson of never giving up before I have explored all options. Seems that every time I give up and ask someone. I figure it out shortly afterwards.I would like to the final result and what you get in the addresses bar when you navigate through the site. I would like to reuse that trick for my domains.

Thanks for all the help. The answers have given me other options to explore and tinker with.


may I ask what is the domain that has been resisted to a f
rihost site?
Related topics
What Do You suggest ?
Sub domains and add-on domains
Sub-Domains
Sub domain
How come we can change our sub-domains thru DA on S2 now?
What is the difference between a Domain & Sub Domain Nam
Domains
...
Custom 404 not found file for sub domains....
Add Your Site Free- No Link Exchange Needed
Two sub-domains?
subdomain
co.cc is back?
Sub domains not working.
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Support and Web Hosting -> Web Hosting Support

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.