FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

#FriHost recruitment contest!

Ankhanu
#FriHost is the semi-official FriHost IRC channel; a real-time chat system for Frih users. In the past, the channel was pretty active, with a fair list of users chatting about anything from site coding and programming, to absolutely nothing of importance Wink In recent years, the channel has dwindled (primarily just Tobias (Hogwarts) and myself, with occasional visits from Adri)… BUT in recent months things have been on an upswing with more users and more activity. I want to encourage this and promote more growth! I've found that activity in #FriHost actually helps promote activity on the forum as well, which is something else we're trying to encourage, so it's all win!

With this in mind, I will be logging the channel activity using an IRC client on my Linux server: Ankhbot. Currently, that will be the bot's only function (that may change in the future). From these logs I will be distilling usage statistics to determine the most active users, and offering rewards! (I'll be using the same statistics generator that Rvec used to use)

Seeing as it's a new year in some places and soon to be one in many others, I'm going to start this now.

The most active new users will get coin rewards from me at the end of January. I'll likely do this for a couple months, until the channel is active or I lose enthusiasm due to crushing despair.
The rewards:
.: Top new user: 50 coins
.: Second: 20 coins
.: Third: 10 coins

All new users who stick around and join the real-time chat community will also win my adulation and general good will. SCORE!

CONNECTING
IRC client connection
/server irc.dal.net
/join #FriHost
… you can either select your user name prior to connection, or, once connected use the command: /nick yourname

Web client connection (I'll just use Mibbit for now)
Open a web client in your bowser, such as Mibbit
- Fill in your name (forum name is preferred) in the Nick field
- Enter #FriHost in the Channel field
- In the Connect line, click "Server", to the right of the drop down menu.
--- In the Server box, enter "irc.dal.net"
(screen capture example here)
- Click Connect

Other connection options are listed in my blog here

The channel statistics are hosted at:
http://frihost.ankhanupress.com
http://ankhanu.frihost.net/frih/frihost.html

Join, say hello (this is important so that we see there is channel activity and can respond!) and stay a while. If we don't respond right away, we will eventually… then the fun begins Smile
johans
Thanks Ankhanu for the information.. i will try that one soon..

Happy New Year!
Ankhanu
Being New Year's Eve, tonight might not be the best time to find anyone in channel Razz
GuidanceReader
Another reason to fire up the irc chat Very Happy and another bonus to FriHost
loremar
GuidanceReader wrote:
Another reason to fire up the irc chat Very Happy and another bonus to FriHost

Yes there's many things you can do in Frihost with other Frihost members. Besides the fun of posting, you can also exchange frih$ or coins in Frihost marketplace with other members for services like helping you with your website. You can also play chess online with us.
Also there's a writing contest going on in this thread, in case you don't know.
Ankhanu
Good to see there was a little visitation last night while I slept Wink

I'm having some issues getting the stat generator to read my x-Chat logs, so I connected another logger via mIRC on my wife's computer and tested that log file this morning... it worked! We now have a couple hours worth of usage statistics on the site, and we're good to go on the "contest".

Happy New Year!
2012; the year of the Frih.
drunkenkoz
I will be sure to check this out as soon as I can.
johans
i tried today but i could not connect.

any direct link?
Ghost Rider103
No direct link that I know of.

Well actually rvec created a browser application years ago to connect to the irc. I'd link you but I'm posting from my cell. If you go back to general chat, read the official IRC thread sticky a the too of the forums, in the first post there is a link to the app.

Good to see more people in there. I had logged into irc this morning to see about 8 or more users. I was not expecting that. See you guys in there tomorrow.
loremar
johans wrote:
i tried today but i could not connect.

any direct link?

There's actually one using mibbit.
Link:http://irc.lc/dal/frihost/irctc@@@
Though there's problem connecting. You have to make about three attempts to be able to connect successfully.

But you can also go to mibbit.com and connect like Ankhanu's instruction:
Quote:
Web client connection (I'll just use Mibbit for now)
Open a web client in your bowser, such as Mibbit
- Fill in your name (forum name is preferred) in the Nick field
- Enter #FriHost in the Channel field
- In the Connect line, click "Server", to the right of the drop down menu.
--- In the Server box, enter "irc.dal.net"
(screen capture example here)
- Click Connect

Other connection options are listed in my blog here

I'm actually using leafchat client. It's free. Just download leafchat here -> http://www.leafdigital.com/software/leafchat/download.html
Once installed, run leaftchat.
Click connect.
Under connect tab, type irc.dal.net as server and connect.
In settings tab add your default nickname.
then click Join icon in the menu. Type #Frihost and click join(once you're already connected to the server).

More ways to connect in Ankhanu's blog->http://www.frihost.com/users/Ankhanu/blog/vp-131374.html
Ankhanu
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

Well actually rvec created a browser application years ago to connect to the irc. I'd link you but I'm posting from my cell. If you go back to general chat, read the official IRC thread sticky a the too of the forums, in the first post there is a link to the app.

Good to see more people in there. I had logged into irc this morning to see about 8 or more users. I was not expecting that. See you guys in there tomorrow.

I THINK that was just via the dal.net website, using their applet, but directing to #Frihost without having to enter the channel.
Ankhanu
On Ghost Rider's suggestion last night, I've increased the coin rewards for this little "contest". I've changed the numbers in the thread starter post.
Ghost Rider103
Ankhanu wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

I THINK that was just via the dal.net website, using their applet, but directing to #Frihost without having to enter the channel.

Yeah, but it helps people who are unsure on how to use an IRC client.

When I first downloaded mIRC (years ago), it took me quite a while to figure out what I was doing.
ankitdatashn
Good going and nice initiative, my best wishes for it's success!! Smile
Ankhanu
Just a quick FYI for those who are interested in taking part in the contest: don't let some of the high activity numbers scare you, the channel regulars agreed to back out of the contest. Still lots of time to pop by and chat!
Ankhanu
Nearly two weeks left! C'mon by and say hello!
Ankhanu
Just a week left!!

The thing is, even with this little time to work with, you can still easily win second or third place! First place is going to be hard to steal, though.

C'mon by and win some of my hard-earned coins!!!!
Ankhanu
One day left!

Of course, don't let a lack of competition hold you back from coming to chat when the competition is done; the channel's been around for years, and will continue to be so.
Ankhanu
24.5 hours to go!!

C'Mon FriHost!! (though I should say that I'm headed to bed now... be back in about 8-9 hours!!)
Ankhanu
Well, I've ended the contest slightly early.
Congratulations are extended to our three winners:
.: 1st - rjraaz (1209 lines, 6.4 words/line)
.: 2nd - Robert_Redbeard (79 lines, 10.3 words/line)
.: 3rd - speeDemon (25 lines, 6.8 words/line)
Your coins have been donated to your accounts!

Overall turnout was lower than hoped, but, hopefully activity will continue, and we'll pull in even more members as time goes on!!
Robert_Redbeard
Ankhanu wrote:
Well, I've ended the contest slightly early.
Congratulations are extended to our three winners:
.: 1st - rjraaz (1209 lines, 6.4 words/line)
.: 2nd - Robert_Redbeard (79 lines, 10.3 words/line)
.: 3rd - speeDemon (25 lines, 6.8 words/line)
Your coins have been donated to your accounts!

Overall turnout was lower than hoped, but, hopefully activity will continue, and we'll pull in even more members as time goes on!!

Thanks. As I said in my PM, I will try to be on more now. Work had me slaving this week.

Everyone come join us on the channel.
Ghost Rider103
Congratulations to the top three winners.

Sorry for my low activity, even though I wasn't participating in the contest, I feel I should have been a bit more active and introduced myself a bit more to the new irc members.

Saying that, I'm sure most of you seen me log in the irc on nearly a daily basis. So any chats going on while I was logged in I do usually end up reading at a later date.

Perhaps in a few weeks we can host another irc competition. Would be more than willing to throw some o my coins at it for the winners again!