FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Member Status indication in forum

k_s_baskar
It will be nice if Member status indication is activated in forum under username in each post like
I saw some famous forums like Webhostingtalk have this features with Green and Red button under username Smile
metalfreek
This feature would definitely be handy but if you want to see how many users are online you can check that out on the index page. All online members are listed at the bottom of the index page.
deanhills
k_s_baskar wrote:
It will be nice if Member status indication is activated in forum under username in each post like
I saw some famous forums like Webhostingtalk have this features with Green and Red button under username Smile
Think that would be in conflict with those members who prefer not to be seen online. There is an option for that in the Profile. If you check at the bottom of the page, all of the members who are present are listed there. Also, if you check at the top of the Sub-forum page, you'll see which members are posting in the same Forum as you are.
Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
k_s_baskar wrote:
Think that would be in conflict with those members who prefer not to be seen online. There is an option for that in the Profile. If you check at the bottom of the page, all of the members who are present are listed there. Also, if you check at the top of the Sub-forum page, you'll see which members are posting in the same Forum as you are.

I use a zetaboards messageboards for my personal messageboard and it has this sort of feature built in. As far as I can tell, users who have set their privacy to not show when they're online on the index have that setting automatically extended to the indicator next to their posts. It's kind of a non-issue.

That said, building this function in phpBB 2 might be a challenge, but, probably not impossible. I'm not sure it's really useful, however, especially given the index page list of active users.
tidruG
Frankly, I don't see the need for this. We don't have an online Flash Chat system, so what will you do knowing whether someone's online or not?

And like someone mentioned, the forums' index page mentions the users who have been active in the last 5 minutes.
IceCreamTruck
The links on the bottom of the forum home show users who "have been" active, and not users who are active. It would take a new application to determine who is and who isn't online, and that information would have to be plugged into the existing modified phpbb frihost forums.

It might be fairly easy to show users who "have been" active under their username considering the code is basically already written on the home section of the forums, and that could be plugged into the message lookups, and the user home page look ups, but that is a mod. Mods have to be decided upon, programmed, tested, and implemented. It's a lot of work to show something that can already be viewed on the home page of the forums.
Ankhanu
IceCreamTruck wrote:
The links on the bottom of the forum home show users who "have been" active, and not users who are active. It would take a new application to determine who is and who isn't online, and that information would have to be plugged into the existing modified phpbb frihost forums.

It might be fairly easy to show users who "have been" active under their username considering the code is basically already written on the home section of the forums, and that could be plugged into the message lookups, and the user home page look ups, but that is a mod. Mods have to be decided upon, programmed, tested, and implemented. It's a lot of work to show something that can already be viewed on the home page of the forums.

The new code would be quite similar, and the current code allows you to alter the amount of time people have been active. Due to the limits of the interface, you can't make a system that is actually real-time; it would have to constantly refresh the site to update the information, which is pretty wasteful. As it is, the forum is set to show those who have been active in the last 5 minutes (including currently active users), but it can be set for a shorter (or longer) interval... personally I think 5 minutes is a useful limit, as it shows the most recent, but isn't too long fooling you into thinking things are much busier than they are. Let's say it's a one minute interval... while more accurate, it would look a lot emptier, I think Wink

As I mentioned, yeah, it's possible to get the current activity (within a minute or two) within the threads, other boards I use and administer have this feature. I really don't think it's all that useful, though. Like you, I'd say it's not nearly worth the effort required to set up.
IceCreamTruck
Ankhanu wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:

The new code would be quite similar, and the current code allows you to alter the amount of time people have been active. Due to the limits of the interface, you can't make a system that is actually real-time; it would have to constantly refresh the site to update the information, which is pretty wasteful. As it is, the forum is set to show those who have been active in the last 5 minutes (including currently active users), but it can be set for a shorter (or longer) interval... personally I think 5 minutes is a useful limit, as it shows the most recent, but isn't too long fooling you into thinking things are much busier than they are. Let's say it's a one minute interval... while more accurate, it would look a lot emptier, I think Wink

As I mentioned, yeah, it's possible to get the current activity (within a minute or two) within the threads, other boards I use and administer have this feature. I really don't think it's all that useful, though. Like you, I'd say it's not nearly worth the effort required to set up.

Yup!