FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Violence in Movies - Apocalyto

deanhills
I saw a really violent movie, produced by Mel Gibson no less - Apocalypto. I could not believe me watching it from beginning to end, and wondering, what is it that makes watching violent movies so attractive to people?

Anyone else watched it? What did you think of the movie?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472043/
metalfreek
Oh yes I have watched it three time if you can imagine. I find this movie so interesting and addictive. I like the way Mel Gibson presented the development of humans. Remember the ship that was shown at the end? It was really brilliant.

Yes, its a bit violent but our history is violent so its unavoidable I guess. But the story is great and the movie is well made. Loved it.

Rating: 8/10

If someone has not watched this movie I recommend that you see this movie once.
menino
I watches this movie years ago, and I loved it. Even though some of the parts were gore, like the panther chase part.
It was a really good movie, though, with the storyline and portrayal of life at that time.

Despite his personal life, I think Mel Gibson is a great actor and a great director as well.
GuidanceReader
My husband brought this movie out when I was pregnant with my first child, and VERY emotional. I only got about 10 minutes in before I had an emotional breakdown, bawled my eyes out in my bedroom for about an hour and wouldn't come back to finish the watching the movie. I can't bring myself to attempt to watch it again, even without the pregnancy hormones.

I'm not one to usually shy away from violence (Romper Stomper was pretty violent and I liked that movie), but that movie was over the top in my opinion. Apparently it was well done though, as it got the message it was aiming for across.
Vanilla
I don't really care about violence in movies. I do care when minors are watching. I like to watch action movies, so I don't mind a little (or a lot of...) blood and broken bones. I'm watching a british series now, it's called Wallander. It is not as violent as Apocalypto, but some scenes can be very... Graphic, if I may say...

GuidanceReader wrote:
My husband brought this movie out when I was pregnant with my first child, and VERY emotional. I only got about 10 minutes in before I had an emotional breakdown, bawled my eyes out in my bedroom for about an hour and wouldn't come back to finish the watching the movie. I can't bring myself to attempt to watch it again, even without the pregnancy hormones.

Yeah, the pregnancy hormones! I got a friend that was all messed up during her pregnancy because of said hormones. That is one of the things that make me afraid of getting pregnant. Confused
tingkagol
Now I remember the pregnant woman giving birth in the pit filled up with rainwater. I always thought it was a really unique scene for a hollywood movie.

Quote:
I could not believe me watching it from beginning to end, and wondering, what is it that makes watching violent movies so attractive to people?

R-rated movies are the only type that can unabashedly depict something of controversial nature: gore, violence, sex - no holds barred. Perhaps that's what makes it exciting for some audiences.

Widespread barbarism has been on the decline as societies become more civilized, and our current civilized world has left no room for barbarism (with a few exceptions of course). Even the sight of roadkill can be enough for people to gag. So for some people, revisiting those barbaric eras can be... educational, or an eye opener. Something out of the norms of society...

I thought the violence was appropriate for the movie.
deanhills
tingkagol wrote:
Now I remember the pregnant woman giving birth in the pit filled up with rainwater. I always thought it was a really unique scene for a hollywood movie.
I thought it a bit unrealistic. Talk about multitasking in an emergency situation where she is trying to keep her young boy from drowning, herself from drowning and at the same time not only giving birth, but somehow magically scooping the newborn into an arm. Sort of ironic. So much of the movie focused on how little life really meant, yet this woman gets to keep both her small son and the newborn baby.

@Metalfreak. Agreed. The appearance of those ships at the end was priceless. I was really happy when the hero of the movie made a decision to pass up on meeting those guys. Also glad that the end of the movie did not see those ships killing the hero of the movie and his family. Although it probably would have made more sense if they had. Agreed. The movie deserves a good rating. Regardless of the violence. Part of the violence that threw me was the graphic details in it.

That chase through the woods with the black jaguar on his tail. WOW! Being able to run that fast. Pretty amazing. Felt sad that the Jaguar did not make it though.
sukhjinder
I tried to watch it few times on HBO but couldn't continue mostly. But once did finish it and I must admit it that I liked it. Liked the part when the wooden spear thing went through the bad guy's chest in the end.....
deanhills
sukhjinder wrote:
I tried to watch it few times on HBO but couldn't continue mostly. But once did finish it and I must admit it that I liked it. Liked the part when the wooden spear thing went through the bad guy's chest in the end.....
That's almost like a classic Vietnam War trap. I'd rather have had this guy die a more gruesome death however. Maybe those orphans who had been left behind at the beginning of the movie could have all tackled him at once and dangled his head on top of a spear. End could then have been the family together with the orphans travelling on to start new beginnings.
tingkagol
All this talk makes me want to re-watch this movie. Probably within the week.
deanhills
tingkagol wrote:
All this talk makes me want to re-watch this movie. Probably within the week.
Right! I totally surprised myself for taking in so much detail. Maybe the violence in the movie kept me so alert I absorbed much more detail than I thought I had. Smile