FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ron Paul's run is good for democracy

gandalfthegrey
Regardless of your opinion, you have to agree that Ron Paul's run is good for democracy.

America has divided itself into two camps - Republicans and Democrats. Those who agree with the majority of the positions of either party are happy, and their establishments will do everything to protect their status quos (including Fox News for the Republican establishment).

Those who believes are a mixture of what has been shaped into right and left, or do not fit into either/or, now have a viable choice that could actually become the nominee and even president.

The right (Republicans) are allegedly about:
1. tax cuts (they do well, but at the expensive of being fiscally responsible)
2. fiscal responsibility (but are not - Republicans run larger deficits and create larger debts than Democrats)
3. free markets (I feel they have gone too far towards free markets, and have forgotten about the citizens they need to protect from corporate greed and pollution)
4. Religious Right (Who naively support Republicans and get nothing in return - and never will - at most, they'll be able to stop LGBT marriages in some states, delay them in others)
5. Pro-Military (this just means throwing over 50% of the American budget towards military technology to try and protect American's dwindling power and role in the world)

However, I feel the right (Republicans) should (and would win more support) if they were:
1. TRULY fiscally responsible. No more deficits - get rid of the debt
2. Semi-Isolationist
Stop wasting money abroad and interfering in the affairs of other countries.
3. Shift spending away from the military
Either cut spending for the debt, some in between level of spending and paying off debt, or if the government chooses to keep spending at the same level, spend on creating jobs in sectors that benefit more Americans, and not on the military-industrial complex and defence contractors.
4. Privacy, Liberty, Free-Speech
Get rid of all the recent laws that attack privacy, personal liberties and free speech
5. Cut Red-tape for business and individuals

I would vote for this Republican Party, and many Democrats and Independents would as well.

Combined multiple back-to-back posts - ocalhoun
deanhills
gandalfthegrey wrote:
However, I feel the right (Republicans) should (and would win more support) if they were:
1. TRULY fiscally responsible. No more deficits - get rid of the debt
2. Semi-Isolationist
Stop wasting money abroad and interfering in the affairs of other countries.
3. Shift spending away from the military
Either cut spending for the debt, some in between level of spending and paying off debt, or if the government chooses to keep spending at the same level, spend on creating jobs in sectors that benefit more Americans, and not on the military-industrial complex and defence contractors.
4. Privacy, Liberty, Free-Speech
Get rid of all the recent laws that attack privacy, personal liberties and free speech
5. Cut Red-tape for business and individuals

I would vote for this Republican Party, and many Democrats and Independents would as well.
I have not found a single Government yet in the world that has been "TRULY fiscally responsible". Anyone can go round saying that they want to get rid of debt. I'd like to hear however how they plan to go about it with a proper spreadsheet attached to it that I can relate to. I.e. transparency. The financial records have been complicated so much over the years that it has become completely untransparent, deliberately so of course so as to do damage control of spending that is always more than the budget.

I can't see how the US can become semi-isolationist when it is so tremendously in debt as it is right now and reliant on other countries for keeping its economy up and going. If it can't be one of the main players internationally, then it can't control the value of the dollar versus its repayments to China and Japan either. Only way it can become semi-isolationist is to declare bankruptcy and that would be the equivalent of committing seppuku.

I like the idea of privacy, liberty and free speech, but I doubt it can be around if individuals have as little economic rights as they seem to have to the extent that the large economic corporations, and especially the banking corporations are controlling the Government and individual's banking accounts. I'd rather like to hear about how economic power can be distributed more evenly over the country than the popular mantras about privacy, liberty and free speech. I think those would be much more easily obtainable in a country that has its banks distributed all over the communities and where there is a separation of banking, real estate and investments instead of one bank being involved in all of those activities. And where the media is not controlled by the mega corporations. And where election campaigns are not reliant on huge contributions from mega corporations. There should be limits set on how big a Bank is allowed to grow as well. So that individuals won't be as vulnerable to the extent that Banks needed to be baled out the way they had to in 2008. I'd say the Banks have even more power now than in 2008. And the more power they have the less power individuals have, including privacy, liberty and free speech.
standready
I like most of Ron Paul's thinking except for his thoughts on Iran's nuclear program. I think if Iran wants nukes, the US and Russia should send them all the nukes they want - push the button! US and Russia both want to reduce their nuclear armaments. What better to get rid of them and a pain in the Middle East.
Ankhanu
standready wrote:
I like most of Ron Paul's thinking except for his thoughts on Iran's nuclear program. I think if Iran wants nukes, the US and Russia should send them all the nukes they want - push the button! US and Russia both want to reduce their nuclear armaments. What better to get rid of them and a pain in the Middle East.

<sarcasm>Brilliant!</sarcasm> The popular "turn the desert to glass" solution... never gets old Wink
ocalhoun
Ankhanu wrote:
standready wrote:

<sarcasm>Brilliant!</sarcasm> The popular "turn the desert to glass" solution... never gets old Wink

Yeah, don't worry about all the innocent civilians in the way.

Oh, and that cloud of radioactive particles spreading around to circle the Earth? Don't worry about that either.

And, of course, irradiating large oil fields* won't have any negative repercussions...

*Yeah, I know the oil itself would be pretty safe from radiation... But the radiation would make those fields impossible or at least very expensive to access for a long time.
standready
Good grief! Someone took me seriously about nuking Iran. Surprised
deanhills
standready wrote:
Good grief! Someone took me seriously about nuking Iran. Surprised
Better watch it. FBI may be knocking on your door shortly. Twisted Evil
Hello_World
Quote:

Mmm I thought US was supposed to be against terrorism?

Quote:
Good grief! Someone took me seriously about nuking Iran.

How can you tell? So many people seem to have this mode of thinking.

Quote:
I have not found a single Government yet in the world that has been "TRULY fiscally responsible".

John Howard got rid of our debt. True. But I still hated him. He may have been 'fiscally responsible' in that sense of the term, but he changed our culture for the worse and it hasn't recovered from the Howard years. Fear. Some things are more important than 'fiscal responsibility'.

But he was good about that. Credit where it was due.
gandalfthegrey
standready wrote:

I find it racist the attitude that Iran cannot have nuclear power, because of some irrational fear some have (and the myth perpetuated in the American media), about Iran developing nuclear weapons.

Iran is a highly developed society and Iranians are highly educated people, and deserve access to generating their own electricity.

You are a racist for even suggesting committing genocide against the Iranian people by nuking them - when the people are overwhelmingly against the fundamentalist regime that rules them. How ignorant and heartless of you!