FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

image upload to message post from hard drive

mml_
Hello,
I wonder if there is a way to upload an image directly from the hard drive without having to upload on a http://photobucket etc.
Something like [img]D:\Image.jpg[/img] does not obviously work. It appears that there is no way but I wonder whether I miss something.
with thanks
SonLight
No, there isn't. Most forums allow you to reference a picture by storing an address where it can be found, but do not make a copy of the picture in your post. If you refer to a post on your own machine, then it would have to load it from your machine whenever the page is displayed. But most machines are not set up to be webservers, so your machine probably cannot respond to a request to provide a copy of the picture each time the page is displayed.

There is really no practical reason preventing forums from allowing in-line pictures, which would make the picture content part of the post. In the past, bandwidth and storage were important considerations, and it seems everyone is used to including pictures by pointing to them instead of including them inline.
mml_
Thank you for the reply. Traffic-wise it now makes sense.