FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mission to Mars

seventhheaven
There was a Russian probe to Mars a few weeks ago and it failed
and fell to earth.
About a fortnight later a US mission to Mars took off and is successfully on its way.

Did America nobble the Russian rocket ?
Did it use the sinister Harp technology to scuttle their space rival ?
kelseymh
seventhheaven wrote:
There was a Russian probe to Mars a few weeks ago and it failed
and fell to earth.
About a fortnight later a US mission to Mars took off and is successfully on its way.

Did America nobble the Russian rocket ?
Did it use the sinister Harp technology to scuttle their space rival ?

No.
No.

A tiny bit of research will go a lot farther than uninformed, ignorant speculation.
SonLight
"A little research" can be dangerous; here's one I laughed at: "Russian Mars probe was downed by aliens - OFFICIAL - YouTube."

Apparently two things went wrong. The third stage failed to ignite, or quit prematurely, and no communications were received from the craft until it was unexpectedly heard from a couple of weeks later. It is also expected to fall back to earth in a couple more weeks.

While the suggestion of sabotage seems unreasonably speculative, a lot of conspiracy theories seem to gain traction with little or no basis. Maybe if it had been Chinese or North Korean, I might even have wondered Wink

Edit: Indeed, a little knowledge is dangerous. I mixed up an old story with the current launch. However, it looks bad for this major expedition to Mars, which is carrying a Chinese orbiter as well as planning a return flight with a Martian sample. The US government now apparently has a contingency plan to shoot the spacecraft down if necessary to prevent it from crashing -- presumably with Russia's consent, but what if Russia refused and they thought a crash was imminent?
jilbs
Things happens when you least expect them.
if we will think that the main reason why the Russian mars mission failed because of Us harp?
we will always think that if something happens to other mission to space is caused by harp.

let's not assume. let's research further and think logically. ^^
ocalhoun
Why would the US want to shoot down a Russian Mars probe?

The cold war (and the space race) is over people...
SonLight
ocalhoun wrote:
Why would the US want to shoot down a Russian Mars probe?

The cold war (and the space race) is over people...

Cold war? , over (pretty much at least -- we still havenuclear guns pointed at each other's head)
Space race? Not likely to be over. Theare is an old saying that wherever there are two sailboats, it is a race.

However, it would be foolish of the US to use sabatage. Appareiently the idea came from Russian scientists. Some of them still don't trust us.
Ankhanu
SonLight wrote:
Space race? Not likely to be over. Theare is an old saying that wherever there are two sailboats, it is a race.

NASA funding says something very different... as do the other scientists in the field. The USA has quite neatly taken itself out of any race other than a "slow race".
That, or else it's a proverbial "I'll beat ya with one arm tied behind my back... blindfolded... wearing a dog cone... while playing accordion... getting a sun tan... with an infected splinter in my big toe!"
ocalhoun
SonLight wrote:

Oh, there is a space race ramping up... but in countries like China and India.
The retiring of the space shuttle with no replacement in view should be evidence enough that the US at least isn't interested anymore...

In fact, I think I'll play Nostradamus a little here... I predict that within the next 30 years, there will be a big international race for the first manned mission to Mars... And neither the US nor Russia will be main players.*

*Providing some technical expertise, maybe... joining an alliance with one of the main players maybe... 'cooperating with (one of the main players) for the benefit of all mankind and in the spirit of international relations' maybe... but not the main impetus behind the efforts.
SonLight
The US has chosen not to push very hard for manned missions right now. iT MAY be more a matter of failing to make a choice than specifically deciding not to play. We do have many unmanned missions in progress; if we continue them we may contribute more to the science, and perhaps even to solving some of the problems of doing manned missions, than ESA or the new guys on the block.

I believe a major key to successful manned missions beyond the moon is the ability to lift lots of hardware. Strangely enough, the space shuttle -- or better, an updated version -- might be an answer. Suppose we had a slightly modified space shuttle, but designed it for unmanned use only. The space shuttle always was a truck, not a car. The two catastrophic failures that occured during the program would have been acceptable if no one was aboard. Of course the original shuttle could probably not have been built to operate autonoumously, but I think it would be a piece of cake now.
ocalhoun
SonLight wrote:

I believe a major key to successful manned missions beyond the moon is the ability to lift lots of hardware. Strangely enough, the space shuttle -- or better, an updated version -- might be an answer. Suppose we had a slightly modified space shuttle, but designed it for unmanned use only. The space shuttle always was a truck, not a car. The two catastrophic failures that occured during the program would have been acceptable if no one was aboard. Of course the original shuttle could probably not have been built to operate autonoumously, but I think it would be a piece of cake now.

Well, if you're only going to focus on sending non-living hardware up, I'd actually prefer the idea of a space-catapult... Some type of large gun or sling that can accelerate things to escape velocity (plus a little extra for air resistance) by just throwing them up from the surface.
...The advantage of that is that you don't have to lift any fuel*, which means less energy should be required.
It won't do for manned missions... humans could never survive that kind of acceleration... But for cargo that's designed for it, it might work.

*In a rocket, a lot of the fuel on board is just there to lift the other fuel... and then you need more fuel to lift that fuel... which is why space rockets with any significant capacity have to be so huge.
SonLight
Fuel is one of the most costly items to get out of Earth's gravity well. It is also something that could withstand the acceleration of a space catapult (with a little care, so that it doesn't get hammered too much in one spot and blow up).

One way to send interplanetary space probes would be to send them ready to fly to a moonbase, but without fuel. If you can either catapult fuel to the moon or mine and prepare the fuel on the moon, you can fly the rocket from there. This would require a very sophisticated base on the moon, conceivably it could be unmanned but sending men there would likely be better and quicker.

Eventually you could upgrade the base to allow final assembly and testing of other components on the moon. I think this would make long flights both easier and cheaper, provided you did a lot of them. It would also be an impressive display of technology that would attract a lot of public interest, and probably lead to moon tourism soon.