FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

History in school

seventhheaven
It was aweful.... endless lessons about the spinning jenny
and the woollen industry in the North of England....
it was dismal !
Hello_World
It is truley amazing how they can turn a subject so interesting into mindless drivel sometimes Sad

If you are still there, try to imagine yourself and your loved ones in the situation of the people you are reading/learning about...

Even something like the 'wool industry' can be interesting from certain angles... yeah for us (Aust) the equivelent is gold mining... the gold rush over and over... at least that topic always ended in a trip to Sovereign Hill (theme park).

Look for what actually does interest you. Do you like technologies? Politics? Relationships and personal stories? Money?
SonLight
I found almost all History in elementary and high school to be very boring. The schools are forced to include a heavy dose of propaganda, which means they can't challenge the students to figure out things like: What civilizations or countries are most imperialistic? Could it even be *cough* [insert name of your country here]?

After a couple of years of college, in which I never even considered taking a History course, and shuddered when I read a proposal from the state legislature that a (guaranteed high-propaganda) mandatory History class should be required as a general education requirement, I did read some History on my own. I found out it is fascinating, and that it was important to read opposing viewpoints. I have come to have a greatly increased respect for my country now that I can compare it with the alternatives, but am under no illusions: We, too, can be real fools and worse.
Hello_World
Oh yeah, it is certainly no clear cut series of drole facts.

The gold rush, that bored me to tears in school, as it was primarily taught the facts of basically where and who were digging, how big the nuggets were, how it was mined, how tough it was for the miners, and only very briefly brushed on the Chinese and the rebellion.

Yet depending on your interests, one could find interesting essays/docos on, say, one of the most important rebbellions in Australia, on anarchy, on capitalism, on drudgery, on women, on resourcefullness, on Chinese contributions, on early racist movements, on drugs, on families, on the political structure of early Australia, on police brutality and corruption, on the brave cops who maintained order in a lawless land, on gambling, on land rights, on aboriginals, on media and propaganda, I mean, it goes on and on, and different people can view the same things in a completely different way.

It is a highly strung political issue, of whether or not to have a national curiculm for history. In particular, here, how exactly do we teach about Aboriginal history, do we teach about Aboriginal history, do we teach about the glories of Captain Cook, or a 'black-arm-band' version of Aboriginal history (as they call it) which acknowledges what we did to them and no-one seems to consider that we can give them (the kids) the option to decide for themselves.... (I don't mean the teachers, by the way, but politicians).