FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Number of hits per forum

amagard
So, as I learned: when searching in Frihost forums you get a list of forums displayed containing the search term and you can narrow down your search by clicking on one of the shown forum names. Good !
I just wonder what those numbers mean, which I assume should be the number of hits in a particular forum. See here:

I searched for "tags" and get told that there are 95 hits in forum Suggestions !? When clicking on Suggestions it just shows me 57 hits. Which number is right, if any ?
Ankhanu
My guess would be that there are 57 threads with 95 (now 96?) instances of "tags".
rjraaz
Both of them are correct and have their own mean.

As per the number against the forum tells us about that how much such type of keyword is occured in that particular forum.

But when we clicked on that forum it displays all the topics that contains those keywords but there may be the possibility that a single topic have more than one occurence of that keyword, so those are shorted out.

Conclusion is that the number against the forum tells about the total number of occurence of a keyword in different forums while the number in results tells about the number of topics that contains those keywords.

I hope, have explained it well.
amagard
Yep, well explained ! Thanks !
Bondings
It's almost like rjraaz mentioned, but not completely.

The higher numbers indicate the number of posts that match the search query, while the actual results (lower numbers) are the number of topics containing the search query.

If you want to know the reason behind it, we use Sphinx for search, which is a full-text search engine. It indexes all the public posts every few hours. When you search for something it actually returns the best posts for the search query you used. The problem is that I want topics to be returned, so for every topic the best-matching post is taken (and the others not considered) and the topic gets the score of the best post.
rjraaz
Bondings wrote:
If you want to know the reason behind it, we use Sphinx for search, which is a full-text search engine. It indexes all the public posts every few hours. When you search for something it actually returns the best posts for the search query you used. The problem is that I want topics to be returned, so for every topic the best-matching post is taken (and the others not considered) and the topic gets the score of the best post.

Thanks to correct me, and really as before i do not know about Sphinx. It seems i need to learn more about it.
Bondings
rjraaz wrote:
Thanks to correct me, and really as before i do not know about Sphinx. It seems i need to learn more about it.

Here it is: http://sphinxsearch.com/ . It's very fast and easy to use and has grown from a one-man project to a whole company since I started using it (or at least from what I read about it). I probably should be upgrading to the latest version, it seems to have improved a lot.