FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bad Sound Card?

weableandbob
I received an HT Omega Claro sound card for Christmas, and so far, I've had a lot of problems. First, there's an occasional pop or crackle, although that may be because the card is not shielded at all. Secondly, I had a big problem yesterday where Battlefield 3 would freeze my computer and require a hard reboot, although I fixed that with a clean reinstall of the drivers. Now, though, I'm randomly losing sound for any amount of time between a few seconds and indefinitely, and once it starts, it happens on and off until I restart my computer. At the same time, my microphone still works fine, and Windows shows that sound should be playing.

So, here's a quick checklist of things I've ruled out:

Incorrect/corrupt drivers (Did a clean reinstall of the newest ones for Windows 7 yesterday)
Wrong playback device (the speaker output is the default playback device and I've checked when the sound stopped working-it's still set to play through the speakers)
Volume randomly changing on itself (always set to 100%)
Specific programs causing it (BF3, League of Legends, and just being on my desktop with Teamspeak and iTunes open have all caused it)

I've already sent an email to HT Omega's tech support, but I wanted to see if any of you have any way to fix this or an idea of whether this is a hardware of software problem.
menino
You could try changing the slot where the sound card is installed.
Not sure if that will work, but worth a try.
Also check if there are updated drivers / software for the device - maybe its an issue with 64-bit OS, if you are using it?

Maybe the way it is configured through Windows itself?
I had only faced a problem twice with the inbuilt soundcard in windows 7 64 bit, but after removing the check mark for default communications device in volume options, everything was working fine.
good luck
Asap170
Try another PCI Slot. If the contacts are damaged then it will not have full contact which causes it to have issues. Also just check the contacts on the sound card.
weableandbob
The PCI slot isn't the problem. I moved the card to the other slot on my motherboard and the same problem still occurs. The contacts look fine on the card, as well.

Edit: I did find out something interesting. On the drivers page, there are drivers available for both the Claro and the Claro II, yet the Claro II isn't an actual sound card. When I downloaded and installed the Claro II drivers, they seemed much closer to the ones that came on the disc in the box, and they were two years newer than the Claro drivers (and a year newer than the ones on the disc). The Claro II drivers worked fine with my card, and I actually didn't notice any popping or crackling at all. However, the problem with losing sound randomly still persists Neutral
FunDa
weableandbob wrote:
The PCI slot isn't the problem. I moved the card to the other slot on my motherboard and the same problem still occurs. The contacts look fine on the card, as well.

Edit: I did find out something interesting. On the drivers page, there are drivers available for both the Claro and the Claro II, yet the Claro II isn't an actual sound card. When I downloaded and installed the Claro II drivers, they seemed much closer to the ones that came on the disc in the box, and they were two years newer than the Claro drivers (and a year newer than the ones on the disc). The Claro II drivers worked fine with my card, and I actually didn't notice any popping or crackling at all. However, the problem with losing sound randomly still persists Neutral

It looks like a hardware failure to me. Can u check the temperature of the card when the sound goes. Is it getting overheated by any chance.

I really hope u can get ur warranty. I hate it when electronics stop working for no reason
weableandbob
FunDa wrote:
It looks like a hardware failure to me. Can u check the temperature of the card when the sound goes. Is it getting overheated by any chance.

That's an interesting idea. Know of any programs that can do that?

Edit: I've returned the card to Newegg. I'll get another one and try that out. If the problem persists, I guess it's a software problem or a hardware problem not related to a specific card, neither of which I can do much for besides reinstalling Windows.