FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Domain Basics @ Frihost & DirectAdmin

inoshi
Hi,

My account has been activated by Frihost and I'm new here.

I see under the domain admin my subdomain and have also added and set as default my own domain.

Question - would there be a reason to delete the subdomain now since I'll probably not be using it?

FTP - do I set up a new ftp directory for the new default domain, or what? Trying to understand where pages will be served from.

Thanks,

Inoshi
Asap170
There would really be no reason to delete the subdomain. You could always use it for testing and/or other stuff. It's completely up to you in what you want to do.

For the FTP there are some things you could do. First you can use your original ftp account that you have been using and when you login to your site via FTp you should see a few directories; backups, domains, imap, Maildir. (Note: This may be different per server and your setup). From their you choose domains and then find your domain you want and select "public_html". It's as easy as that.

Hope this helps! If you need further help or a more in detailed explanation then I can do that for you.
inoshi
Thanks Asap. I was just wondering if there was something absolutely essential to keeping the subdomain or not, and if I deleted it if I would somehow screw things up (like account status and logging in and so on).

I've now got site uploaded and am waiting for the dns to change over.

Fingers Crossed,

Inoshi
Asap170
If you delete the subdomain then you won't be able to access Cpanel or DirectAdmin using that subdomain and the port 2222 but you can use your new domain I believe to access DirectAdmin or Cpanel.

Personally I would leave your subdomain so if you ever need it you got and and everything else.
ankurthakur
I just changed my Subdomain to Domain.in in the Direct Admin.

and I had no problem and I simply access it via domain.in:2222 Wink
truespeed
I think Bondings said somewhere that he prefers it if people don't remove their allocated subdomains,i can't remember what his reasoning was just that he said it.
Bondings
truespeed wrote:
I think Bondings said somewhere that he prefers it if people don't remove their allocated subdomains,i can't remember what his reasoning was just that he said it.

It's for pretty much the same reasons as Asap170 mentioned here above. Cool
Asap170
Bondings wrote:
truespeed wrote:

It's for pretty much the same reasons as Asap170 mentioned here above. Cool

I can see not being able to use that domain, but I don't understand why because any account with a subdomain or a domain can access the admin panel via port 2222 or the ip address of the server or frihost.com it's self.
Bondings
Asap170 wrote:
I can see not being able to use that domain, but I don't understand why because any account with a subdomain or a domain can access the admin panel via port 2222 or the ip address of the server or frihost.com it's self.

Yes it works with newdomain.com:2222 or with the ip address. Just not everyone knows that or they have the previous link bookmarked.

Anyway, why you should keep it:
* You can continue to use the same link to access DirectAdmin.
* You can use the subdomain for testing in case your domain doesn't (yet) work or if there are some dns problems.
* If you ever lose/sell the domain or want to host it elsewhere you can still use our hosting with that subdomain.
* In case you want to host a different website here after some time has passed.
inoshi
I'll keep it!